Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Basic Member

Gong hit in slow motion. Didn't video many of the shots but it's cool to see the vapor trail on this one!

Basic Member
    Just food for thought on the buttstock. I replaced mine with the Luth MBA-3 Carbine buttstock. I didn't have to change or modify anything. Pulled the original one off, and slid the new one on. I still have the advantage of collapsing the buttstock for easier transport

Basic Member
    I was finally able to take her out and shoot her today. I had bore sighted her when the scope was mounted and started breaking her in with some cheaper Hornady White Tail which had bad reviews for accuracy but was a lot cheaper. Best I could get was about 1.75 at 100 yards which didn't suprise me with this ammo. So this is where the fun began. Moved out to 200 yards and starting shooting some 147 grain ELD which grouped a lot better. Didn't measure it but was probably just over MOA shooting with a bipod. I am by no means a long range shooter and have only shot 300 yards one time at a silhouette plate with my SBR.

so my buddy says shoot the 10" gong at 600. So I ran it throug a ballistics app, dial the scope and hit 5 for 5 at 600 yards. I was pretty excited at this point as I didn't think I would even hit it let alone 5 for 5. Well, at this point I'm pretty happy and ran it through the ballistics calculator (31.5) for 1K yard 24x 24 silhouette. We didn't even have a spotting scope so my buddy is spotting me with his rifle. I let the first shot fly, poof about 5" low. I aimed 3/4 target and let it fly and I actually hit the dam thing and on the next shot as well. My buddy got behind it and hit it on his second shot and he has never went past 600 before. Shot 3 more at it and went 4 for 6 at 1K which to me was a great day with a brand new rifle. Oh, and it wasn't suppressed with my Crux Ark 30 which this rifle sounds like a dam air gun. I'm hooked on long range shooting for sure!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearjunkie View Post
    I was finally able to take her out and shoot her today. I had bore sighted her when the scope was mounted and started breaking her in with some cheaper Hornady White Tail which had bad reviews for accuracy but was a lot cheaper. Best I could get was about 1.75 at 100 yards which didn't suprise me with this ammo. So this is where the fun began. Moved out to 200 yards and starting shooting some 147 grain ELD which grouped a lot better. Didn't measure it but was probably just over MOA shooting with a bipod. I am by no means a long range shooter and have only shot 300 yards one time at a silhouette plate with my SBR.

so my buddy says shoot the 10" gong at 600. So I ran it throug a ballistics app, dial the scope and hit 5 for 5 at 600 yards. I was pretty excited at this point as I didn't think I would even hit it let alone 5 for 5. Well, at this point I'm pretty happy and ran it through the ballistics calculator (31.5) for 1K yard 24x 24 silhouette. We didn't even have a spotting scope so my buddy is spotting me with his rifle. I let the first shot fly, poof about 5" low. I aimed 3/4 target and let it fly and I actually hit the dam thing and on the next shot as well. My buddy got behind it and hit it on his second shot and he has never went past 600 before. Shot 3 more at it and went 4 for 6 at 1K which to me was a great day with a brand new rifle. Oh, and it wasn't suppressed with my Crux Ark 30 which this rifle sounds like a dam air gun. I'm hooked on long range shooting for sure!
    What an awesome first day with the rifle. Just make sure you understand that you are now hooked :-). Pretty soon you are going to be painting smaller and smaller areas on the 24" silhouette and trying to hit those. have fun with it.

Shooter71462
    What distance and elevation? That was cool.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter71462 View Post
    What distance and elevation? That was cool.

Howells video?

Shooter71462
    Yes, Howells video. From what I could see there was considerable downward angle.

Basic Member

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter71462 View Post
    Yes, Howells video. From what I could see there was considerable downward angle.
    I think that was at 575 yards. My elevation adjustment relative to 100 yard zero for Hornady 140 Grain ELD-M which I chronographed at 2660 FPS was 3.3mils with a small tailwind.

Anyone used Accurate Mag on the 6.5? Got one in and it does not feed consistantly and scratches the metal really bad on feedlips. Any suggestions?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Anyone used Accurate Mag on the 6.5? Got one in and it does not feed consistantly and scratches the metal really bad on feedlips. Any suggestions?
    I bought some PMags that didn't give me any issues on my first trip out. Are the tips sitting low i. The mag? I shoot a lot of 6.8 through an AR and sometimes I have to tweek the mags lips out a little so the round doesn't nose dive in he mag.

I'm interested to hear anyone's experience with a Magnetospeed on the Savage Stealth. I'm eying the Magnetospeed V3, but I've read various reports about POI shift and changes to group sizes that result from it hanging on the end of the barrel. Some say there is no change, some say there is a drastic change. It appears to be barrel/gun specific, and that makes sense to me.

Does anyone have any experience with POI shift or group size changes? I'd love to hear your experiences before I make a (relatively) large purchase.

Basic Member

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarko0329 View Post
    I'm interested to hear anyone's experience with a Magnetospeed on the Savage Stealth. I'm eying the Magnetospeed V3, but I've read various reports about POI shift and changes to group sizes that result from it hanging on the end of the barrel. Some say there is no change, some say there is a drastic change. It appears to be barrel/gun specific, and that makes sense to me.

Does anyone have any experience with POI shift or group size changes? I'd love to hear your experiences before I make a (relatively) large purchase.
    Doesn't change POI. Worked fine for me. Here is a 10 shot group at 200 yards I'm not proud of. I shot with it attached (first few were tight then I just squeezed the rest off). I used my typical 200 yard elevation adjustment. This was the only picture I have from the day I shot with the Magneto V3 attached.

Basic Member
    Finally two weeks ago had a chance to try my Stealth @1000 yards.
    We went to Piru lake rifle range.
    Started from 500 yards 2 shots-2 hits. 600 yards 5 shot 5 hits. Then I moved to 1000 yards. Shooting was 10 degree slop up, first round was about foot to the right. Check all conditions and local guys told me that there is wind on the top of hill. So entered number (approximately) and after that every single shot was hit. It just become non-changeling LOL
    I have my friend as a spotter, so he was confirming hits or misses. At some point I don't believe about hits and shot 2 feet right (didn't let my spotter know I am missing) and right away he told me-miss 2 feet to right. I am completely surprise with rifle/ammo/calculator combo. Bullets were flying as on rails.
    Even let my spotter shoot 10 rounds on different distances, telling what to use on reticle, and he was hitting every single time.
    Target on 1000 yards were two sizes 24 inches and 18 inches diameter (I think, not sure 100 %).
    Here are some pics from range and screen shot from calculator

Basic Member
    That's awesome! Great job Palmaris! That range looks amazing too.

Basic Member
    I have taken mine out to 1K yards the last 2 trips and it is a blast. It was a challenge last trip with a 10 to 15 mph cross wind but manage to get some hits on it with the 147 ELD factory Hornady ammo. I jumped off the ledge this week and purchased all the stuff to start reloading and will start working up some loads in the next week or so with the H4350 I found. I love my Creedmoor Stealth!

Suppressor update. Went to Talladega and tested new suppressor (Sig 338 QD). Results were pretty good, all 10 ring at 200. Also tested new creedmoor brand 140 ammo. Shot on par with my handloads. So now back to a good fundation point to refine loads and work on accuracy.

The stock length on my Luth AR MBA-1 with the fixed stock adapter is proving to be a little too long for me. Contacted Drake and they are sending me a replacement buffer Tube, really nice folks. Have a MBA-3 I will use on it and that should put length were I need it for shooting prone.

Accurate Mag test - New Accurate Mag smoothing out, open feed lips up to let round sit higher and smoothed lips as they were scratching brass pretty badly. With some tweeks the magazine looks to be working out pretty well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Also tested new creedmoor brand 140 ammo. Shot on par with my handloads.
    What is new brand?
    Oh, I got it, Creedmoor is brand! LOL

Basic Member
    Got a chance to shoot steel from 300yards to 840 yards. Stealth shot great loaded with Nosler RDF 140gr with RL-16 powder. Load is running about 2820fps and is very accurate.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is the 16" plate at 840 yard. Big splashes in center are my 140 RDF. Smaller splashes on left are my buddy's 107grain 6mm Dasher. The small dot on top right is my 77gr SMK from 20"AR-15

For my left-hand brethren, it looks like a Savage is bringing out a LH 10 and 110 Stealth, including in 6mm Creedmoor. They were showing it off earlier today in a Live FaceBook broadcast from the NRA Annual Meeting.

Hawaiian
    Quote Originally Posted by icker96 View Post
    Got a chance to shoot steel from 300yards to 840 yards. Stealth shot great loaded with Nosler RDF 140gr with RL-16 powder. Load is running about 2820fps and is very accurate.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is the 16" plate at 840 yard. Big splashes in center are my 140 RDF. Smaller splashes on left are my buddy's 107grain 6mm Dasher. The small dot on top right is my 77gr SMK from 20"AR-15

Nice shooting Icker!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    Nice shooting Icker!!
    Thanks Hawaiian. Tried to PM, but your box is full.

Lapua Brass test - Loaded 19 rounds of Lapua Brass, full lentgh sized, used Sin clair mandrel to set neck tension. Powder h4350, bullet Berger 130 OTM. Control was my std hand loads with Hornady new brass, h4350 40g, Berger 130 OTM. All shot with Sig suppressor. Berger 5 shot rapid fire to foul barrel. 3 shot .56 at 100 yd.

Lapua results - 39 Gr .48 5 shot 100 yd, 39.5 5 shot 100 yd .58, 40 gr opened up as did the 40.5

Will try upping load to 41 and 41.5. The suppressor seems to have changed the node on the barrel. Will use Magneto Speed to verify FPS when I go next time.

All in all, happy with the Lapua brass.

Medic83
    I'm Phil, new here. I haven't shot mine yet. I got the 338 lapua version. I changed out the muzzle brake (super tight by the way). Trying to find the right stock for it. I think I'm going to put the MDT stock on it.

I have a MDT folding stock adapter for sale. It is for a fixed stock. I think you can use a regular carbine tube as well just use the end plate like on an AR. Its still in the box if anyone is interested.
    $110 shipped

Talladega update 6.5 Creedmoor Stealth 24" smooth barrel (all suppressed) - Went real well. Got dope for 200, 300 and 600. Rifle shot in 10 ring at all ranges. Wind was stiff with 7-10 mph left to right. Using GAP in Bushell scope was able to compensate. No issues with scope or rifle. Got weird results from ballistics solver, so established zero with first shots. Load Berger OTM 130, H4350 40gr, Hornady brass. Loaded 20 rounds, similar results using 130 OTM, H4350 39gr and Lapua Brass.

Shot 300 WM Steath with similar results.

Was pleased, made progress on suppressor, wind reading, and consistancy.