Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Picked up my BA Stealth yesterday, cleaned and lubed, ran ammo through chamber, a few fed issues, these smoothed as action worked more. Issue on 10 round clip as stated, fit too tight with 10 rounds. Ruger PR and my Magpul 20 round clips for DPMS 308 do not appear to fit. MDT has reasonable priced clips, but with 10 round issue I will probably try Magpul AICS compatible.

Over all fit and finish was excellent. Chassis is 1 piece and there are no seems. Balance is right before mag well. They even put grooves to make barricade shooting not slide. Looks like a Porsche. What does come across is the stock being homely. It is a FAB recoil reducing, I have on a few of my rifles and it works well. May swap for a Luth-AR stock if the FAB doesn't work for me. My rear bag will take some getting used to on the stock, may need larger.

Magpul M-loc rails work perfectly (not included with rifle, I use an Atlas Bi-pod so I needed them). There is also a stud for sling or Harris style bi-pod.

Off to range today to sight in, then hopefully 600 yd at Talladaga Wednesday. Will post about results.

So far liking the Savage, how it shoots will be the real test. RPR's tend to widen group after 5 shots, interesting to compare (my wife has the RPR in 6.5).

Thanks Cameron

Basic Member
    Did you break in the barrel or did you just shoot it?

rmilobrown223@hotmail.com
    We need pics man!

We need moor information on those clips!!!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    We need ALLOT more fist impressions. Like, how smooth the action is, etc.. and lots of PICS. Starting to regret jumping on the 10T 6.5 creedmoor.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    We need ALLOT more fist impressions. Like, how smooth the action is, etc.. and lots of PICS. Starting to regret jumping on the 10T 6.5 creedmoor.
    You might take a look at the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 They are fantastic rifles from what I have seen. I would like to see the LRP and the new Stealth go head to head...

Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    You might take a look at the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 They are fantastic rifles from what I have seen. I would like to see the LRP and the new Stealth go head to head...
    Than I guess that the 12 LRP will win (not because I own a 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 ;-)
    2" more barrel on the LRP so a slightly faster rounds
    And the LRP has a thicker barrel

Going to Talladaga Wednesday, will take so photos of results and try to post. I did a break in 1 shot - clean, then 5 shots clean.

So some more impressions. From the barrel to the castle nut, the rifle is very nice. The Chassis is 1 piece, where as the RPR is 2 pieces, not sure that really matters much. Weight is about 2 pounds less than RPR. Trigger is nice, accu-triggers seem to have a good following of those who like them.

The stock is an Israeli made FAB G-Shock. Trying to like it, but it probably will be replaced by a Luth-AR or Magpul. Need a approx 45 buck adapter + buffer tube to swap out. It is stable, and as some have reported, very stiff to adjust. Biggest issue is you have the same 6 position as an AR carbine. Also cheek piece is a little short for eye relief. Using a Larue so 1.5" high. If I was not so wedded to my scope sharing on 3 rifles, I'd go with lower rings to get closer to the bore.

Mounted a m-lok 5" rail with swivel adapter. The Stealth has a swivel that can be removed and the existing hole works as front mount hole. Can confirm monolithic comment from above - no seams.

Shot 40 rounds at 100. Did not bother with pictures, will take some tomorrow at the 200 & 600 scoring computer screen. The RSO is a friend, he shot rifle using 140 ELD-match, had a nice clover leaf. Tried my std load for RPR turned down 2 gr h4350 to start. Was not impressed. Factory showed potential at approx 1 moa (3 1/2 MOA then 2 widing out). Berger 130's did extremely well for a starting point 40.5 gr. H4350. Set at 2.16 to Olgive. Rifle appears to have 2.24 measured at Olgive before hitting lands (did I get the terminology right). Sub-MOA. Will take start shooting 41, 41.5, etc to find sweet spot. Then work on seating length. Son usually shoots 300 Win Mag. He shot the rifle and was sub-MOA.

Remembering it took over 100 rounds to get RPR to .4-.5 MOA I will reserve final judgement until after 100+ rounds.

Price point on Gun Broker shows them selling between 950 - 1000. So if you can't get a hold of an RPR or need a less expensive option, the Stealth is showing some promise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Going to Talladaga Wednesday, will take so photos of results and try to post. I did a break in 1 shot - clean, then 5 shots clean.

So some more impressions. From the barrel to the castle nut, the rifle is very nice. The Chassis is 1 piece, where as the RPR is 2 pieces, not sure that really matters much. Weight is about 2 pounds less than RPR. Trigger is nice, accu-triggers seem to have a good following of those who like them.

The stock is an Israeli made FAB G-Shock. Trying to like it, but it probably will be replaced by a Luth-AR or Magpul. Need a approx 45 buck adapter + buffer tube to swap out. It is stable, and as some have reported, very stiff to adjust. Biggest issue is you have the same 6 position as an AR carbine. Also cheek piece is a little short for eye relief. Using a Larue so 1.5" high. If I was not so wedded to my scope sharing on 3 rifles, I'd go with lower rings to get closer to the bore.

Mounted a m-lok 5" rail with swivel adapter. The Stealth has a swivel that can be removed and the existing hole works as front mount hole. Can confirm monolithic comment from above - no seams.

Shot 40 rounds at 100. Did not bother with pictures, will take some tomorrow at the 200 & 600 scoring computer screen. The RSO is a friend, he shot rifle using 140 ELD-match, had a nice clover leaf. Tried my std load for RPR turned down 2 gr h4350 to start. Was not impressed. Factory showed potential at approx 1 moa (3 1/2 MOA then 2 widing out). Berger 130's did extremely well for a starting point 40.5 gr. H4350. Set at 2.16 to Olgive. Rifle appears to have 2.24 measured at Olgive before hitting lands (did I get the terminology right). Sub-MOA. Will take start shooting 41, 41.5, etc to find sweet spot. Then work on seating length. Son usually shoots 300 Win Mag. He shot the rifle and was sub-MOA.

Remembering it took over 100 rounds to get RPR to .4-.5 MOA I will reserve final judgement until after 100+ rounds.

Price point on Gun Broker shows them selling between 950 - 1000. So if you can't get a hold of an RPR or need a less expensive option, the Stealth is showing some promise.

Thanks
    Pics !

😉

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    I have the 10T in 6.5 but the stealth may be in the future for me. Depends on reviews.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I have the 10T in 6.5 but the stealth may be in the future for me. Depends on reviews.
    Enjoy your 10T and get a Stealth later 😉

Banned
    It's called a MAGAZINE! The M1 Garand is the only rifle I am aware of which uses a "clip".

You need to post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It's called a MAGAZINE! The M1 Garand is the only rifle I am aware of which uses a "clip".

You need to post pictures.
    Correct Dave !

Basic Member
    I have mine and so far I like it. Not sure about the FAB stock but will be ok for now and can get a decent cheek weld with the riser. The chassis looks good, clean lines no chatter marks, barrel is nicely floated. The mag has a little rattle to it but feeds fine. I like the Houge grip, but was not thrilled they sent a 0 MOA mount. So I had to drill out my 20 MOA Talley to fit the larger screws. Not sure why you would sent this with a top bolt release (smart on savage) but then change the screw size that no mount maker supports (not smart) and a ) and ) 0 MOA mount for a Long range gun. Got mine for $899 off gun broker. Only have 50 rounds through it and with factory 140 eld's shot under .5 inch groups at 100 yards. At 400 was at 3 inch groups. I think it has a lot of potential. Pics.

Last edited by Draftpick; 06-16-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    I have mine and so far I like it. Not sure about the FAB stock but Only have 50 rounds through it and with factory 140 eld's shot under .5 inch groups at 100 yards. At 400 was still under MOA at 3 inch groups. I think it has a lot of potential. Pics.

Congrats !

Update on first impressions -

Went to Talladaga, focused on 200 yd. Will try and post pictures tomorrow. Shot 140 on 14 shots - total shot 50 rounds Savage Stealth and about 30 300 Win Mag. Wife shot 50 through her RPR - she did well also with here last 10 shot scoring 100. Need to check pictures to count x's. Wind was 10 mph and shifting. Need work on my wind calling ability.

Had a scope issue on 300 win mag so it used up more time than planned. Son shooting his 300 Win Mag really improved, shooting in the high 90's.

So the update - the rifle is solid, the factory 140 ELD-match did well. The star of the day was the Berger 130 OTM's. Will work up some loads to shoot 100 yards on Monday (have jury duty so hoping not to get called). Have 300 ELD-match to reload, will see how they do. Between the 2 I have little doubt of a solid sub-MOA load.

The stock is a disappointment. Ordered the adapter for fixed length, it hopefully will arrive next week. Will try the PRS Magpul and the Luth-AR. Why disappointing: I have a Bushnell 4.5 - 30 xrs (i believe, scope is downstairs). Using a Larue QD mount. At max rise on cheek rest I was about 1/4" low for good alignment. Cheek rest moves with length, so not only does it not go high enough, it's short length pushes me to the very front of the rest. It may work for others with different scope mounts but for me, a no go.

The other negative - scope rail is not a 20 MOA. All my bolt rifles have 20 moa. Not a big issue but will swap-out as soon as I can find the proper replacement. Savage was not listing rifle last I checked, so information is mainly from a few people on different forums. Rail is an EGW so I will email them.

At 400 below RPR you get a good chassis, barrel and action. Figure you have to invest another 250-300 on rail and stock with adapter. Still a little cheaper than RPR but not much. Also RPR 18008 now has a break, so that makes it almost break even.

My wife shot Savage, did not like recoil. Our range officer in Talladaga was John (super guy, helped with my scope malfunction and showed my lots of new items + plus had his 2 customs out shooting along with us). He shot the Savage and liked it.

Is it a RPR killer - no way. Is it a good rifle - yes, so far. Jury will be out until lots of people are shooting it and we determine how well it does long term and see how Savage stands behind it. We know Ruger is standing behind the RPR.

The RPR had lots of issues in .308 and less so the .243, only time will tell if the Savage line fairs any better or not. The introduction of 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua will make the Savage a force in the future (if RPR comes out long action as predicted, that will be exciting).

Bottom line - in my family we have both, and like both. Like everything else it comes down to personal preferences - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Thanks Cameron - I hope this helps someone in their search.

Nice review !

And the pics still need to be posted 😉

Last edited by Kingair001; 06-16-2016 at 10:47 PM.

How do you upload a picture from computer? Read instructions but do not see that option. Wanted to post Talladaga pictures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    How do you upload a picture from computer? Read instructions but do not see that option. Wanted to post Talladaga pictures.

Thanks
    I use Photobucket

Otherwise on SavageShooters click Go Advanced

And than you see a button - Insert Image

Or check SH 😁

Last edited by Kingair001; 06-17-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Basic Member
    Went shooting with my Stealth again and my biggest group was 1.5 inchs at 200 yards. Best was a 1 inch. Did find 2 bad factory rounds with a small bulge in the neck. They would not chamber in my rifle. I will have to call hornady on monday about it.

Went shooting with my Stealth again and my biggest group was 1.5 inchs at 200 yards. Best was a 1 inch. Did find 2 bad factory rounds with a small bulge in the neck. They would not chamber in my rifle. I will have to call hornady on monday about it.
    And how does it do at the 100 yards ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    And how does it do at the 100 yards ?

They opened up some over 100. I can make them touch at 100 and did so for twenty plus rounds on a couple different targets. 200 yards 1 inch is the best.

Range Report

Here is testing loads at 100 yd indoor range. This is Hornady ELD-Match 140 gr with H4350 41gr with bullet set to 2.186 to ogive (or olgive if you prefer). .79 MOA

[IMG][/IMG]

My buddy is the RSO at the range I go to, he gave the rifle a try - He called the flyer when he pulled the trigger.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a shot from Talladaga at 200 yd.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Changing Stocks

The stock was driving me nuts, so I jumped in with both feet and switched out with rifle buffer tube and put a Luth-AR stock on with cheek pad. It feels so much better and cheek weld is far more repeatable. Word of caution, the Chassis is MDT, the buffer tube is Drake. It seems to use combined military and commercial sizing and threads. The part closest to receiver is smaller, then it changes to the larger tube and thread about 1/2 way. I was floored by how tight it was to get off. I mounted new stock without adapter from MDT. It is on order and will mount once it arrives.

New Stock - Luth-AR
    [IMG][/IMG]

And how the rifle looks now:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Really enjoying the rifle, stock made a big difference.

They opened up some over 100. I can make them touch at 100 and did so for twenty plus rounds on a couple different targets. 200 yards 1 inch is the best.
    This is a real nice result !

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast