Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Yes, I show with it last week. It is extremely sturdy and rigid on the MDT buffer tube. If you already have the PRS stock with rifle-length buffer tube, you may want to look at the MBA-1. However, I don't think that it is as short as the MBA-3.

I was able to get a relatively short length of pull because the bolt is nice and short. On my 6.5CM AR, I have to leave it extended further in order to fully retract the charging handle.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGnRnr View Post

The MBA-3 was a bear to get onto the existing buffer tube (requiring a rubber mallet). I'm not sure why it was so difficult as another rifle is also wearing an MBA-3 stock and did not have those fitment issues. Having said that, the stock is rock-solid.

I sprung for the folding adapter after seeing how compact my RPR (.308) became with the stock folded. The adapter mounted easily (thank you @CBryars2 for pointing out the extra set screw on the bottom of the chassis) and is very quick to open and close. A little too quick: picking up the rifle by the barrel or chassis causes the stock to swing into place. MDT is working on a version that locks in the folded position and I am definitely going to get one. In the meantime, it just requires extra care getting it in and out of the safe, so it is doesn't swing into another gun.
    Glad I could help save you the grief I experienced. I'm going to try and get a replacement so I can have all the "stock" parts.

Replacement barrel - called Tuesday - They had no problem and have UPS coming to pickup rifle. Said they had some 24" in stock.
    One note, I asked if I sent or they provided pick-up. Person on phone said they would pickup (as I understood it, a one time courtesy). UPS showed up on Wednesday, I was not ready as I had a delivery notice and did not understand it was a pickup.

So when they say they will send UPS, be ready they are really responsive.
    Boxing with the Luth-AR MBA1 fixed stock was a little challenging, had to remove pull adjustment pad.

Will let ya'll know how the barrel swap goes.

Jrs81
    I sent mine in last week, hoping to get it back soon. Was told now is the time to do it cause they were slow so the turn around should be under 3 weeks which is what they aim for

UPS picked up today. Hope to have back in < 3 weeks, due to go to Talladega on 18th Aug.

Rifle arrived at Savage, hope to get a shipped notice by end of week.

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Rifle arrived at Savage, hope to get a shipped notice by end of week.
    Good luck !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jrs81
    Cbryars2, mines been there for almost 2 weeks now. Just called today for a status check and their systems were down. Talked with them at the end if last week and the barrel was in the fluting department then they had to send it to get roll stamped then proof test and shoot so hoping mine is done by this Friday but won't know till tomorrow. Was told originally it should be well under the 3 week mark but it's going on 3 weeks now so I'm thinking their time frame may have been a little off

Good info on timing thanks. I thought this was a simple barrel swap, sounds like they are going into a lot more detail. Hopefully that bodes well for the final quality of the barrels we get back. Keep us updated. Thanks so much!

Jrs81
    Called again today and their systems are still down after 3 days, so no one has a clue what the status is on my firearm. This weds coming up is the 3 week mark

Basic Member
    When I sent mine in to have my rifle checked due to accuracy issues, was told 3 weeks. The excuses on week 3 of "we are behind" started. But i did get in in week 4.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Savage called Friday, missed them, will return call Monday, hope no issues. The wait is a killer.

Savage called Friday, missed them, will return call Monday, hope no issues. The wait is a killer.
    Pretty sure it's ready !

I wish!

Just got off phone with Savage. Really nice folks. 2-3 weeks to replace barrel.

Interesting note, they make these replacement barrels, not a stock sitting around to swap out. They said fluting was the time dependency. I asked if they had to flute and the rep said he would check.

My understanding is fluting does not help much with heat dissipation. Any thoughts?

Also brought up feed issues. Interesting the rep said they use Horn 120's to test. He was going to add that to the request.

Off to shoot .338 FCP 110. Finished bedding, want to try it out. That was a learning experience.

Basic Member
    I'd skip the fluting and get it back sooner.

No fluting for me on a new barrel although my Savage 12 LRP has it

Now in your case it's paid for so . . .

But did you ever see any Accuracy International with a fluted barrel ?

Last edited by Kingair001; 08-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Jrs81
    Just talked with savage, my barrel swap is done but due to the computers being down half of last week it hasn't shipped yet. She said hopefully in a few days it'll ship which puts me right around 3 1/2weeks total if I get by Friday.

Hope you get by Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrs81 View Post
    Just talked with savage, my barrel swap is done but due to the computers being down half of last week it hasn't shipped yet. She said hopefully in a few days it'll ship which puts me right around 3 1/2weeks total if I get by Friday.
    Perfect 🖒

Bedded .338 FCP110 shot pretty well, getting close to .6-.7 moa at 100. Lapua 300's and my 285 AMAX reloads both did well. Testing tension on rear screw it is at 30 lbs now. Spent so much time with my stealth, forgot how much fun the 338 is.

Bedded .338 FCP110 shot pretty well, getting close to .6-.7 moa at 100. Lapua 300's and my 285 AMAX reloads both did well. Testing tension on rear screw it is at 30 lbs now. Spent so much time with my stealth, forgot how much fun the 338 is.
    Owned one . . . sold it . . .miss it . . . 😕

Jrs81
    Cbryars2 did you find that link on torque tuning the set screws? I think it was you that was asking and I it was did you notice any difference before having it bedded?

I did thanks, and it was very good. Working up from 25 now at 30. Will keep progressing in 5 lb increments to see if I can find the sweet spot.

Thanks again

Basic Member
    Just wondering how you guys package your rifles to send them back to savage? Just the original box or do you double box them?
    Can you just send the barreled action or do you have to send the whole rifle?

Jrs81
    Just the box it came in, that's how they actually specify to send it.. on another note mines been done since last Friday and a week later they still haven't shipped it, was just told today it's ready to be shipped but they don't have an exact time frame on it, should be within a week to two weeks and I'll have it. Never been through this before, 3 weeks to ship out a finished product, sounds like their shipping them out with others all at once is the only sense I can make if that

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast