Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Results with a Criterion Barrel

Banned

Well I really see two bad shots there, the lower left 3 are ok, the other two, sheese, what were you thinking, a whole 1.476 at 300, how awful! - you only got one that hit the aiming point for crying out loud !

Now granted, on a bad day I can beat that at 100 easily, say 7/8 or so.

Basic Member
    Yeah, we all have better days sometime!

I had some 125 grain Sierra Matchkings laying around that I load for my 300 Blackout and wanted to see what they would do. I was amazed that I got some groups that ran in the 1.6 inch range at 300 yards with the Criterion barrel. Talk about a no-recoil load in the .308!

Every once in a while a bad barrel is made, at least that is what I have heard. I have not experienced for myself though. If the barrel is bad I am sure Criterion will make it right, they are pretty well top notch. I have had great luck so far with their barrels holding a .120 to a .130 at 100 yards on 7mm08's. But then again I have some factory Savage and ER Shaw barrels that will run with the best of them.
    GLC

This thread exemplifies why I never liked doing and won't ever do another barrel review. You can buy 10 identical barrels from the same manufacturer and generally speaking there will be at least one dud, six or seven "average" shooters (1/2"-1" groups), and one or two hummers that will consistently shoot 1/2" or better groups. The only way to do a proper review/evaluation is to sample a large batch and base the conclusion of an average of all of them after firing thousands of rounds. Most of us mere mortals can't afford to conduct that kind of evaluation, and even if we could it still really wouldn't prove anything more than we already know now - that buying a barrel always has been and always will be a crap shoot no matter who made it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

^^^^ And this is why I did not and will not trash Criterion or anyone else, it is always luck of the draw.

My one and only phone call went unreturned as with the only email, but I will persue it further when time allows.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    I have a CBI 260 Rem Match in a bull contour that I could only get 3/4 minute groups out of consistently. I tried 142 SMK and 140 Hybrids and H4350 as a propellant. I called Josh at CBI and he sent me a shipping label to return the barrel to them. I talked to him today and they didn't find anything out of line with the barrel. He said they would re-lap the barrel and re-crown it and send it back and if didn't shoot better they would replace it. Josh has been friendly and understanding, but I enjoy shooting more than I do putting barrels, scope mounts and bases off and on a rifle.
    I've since received this barrel back from CBI and it does shoot better. It's more on line with a 1/2 moa barrel now. I think I could get it to be more consistent with more practice on my part. So, I appreciate what Josh did for me as far as customer service goes, however my next barrel will be a cut rifle barrel. I just got to try it and see.

Basic Member
    10 shot groups at 300 yards with 41.8 grains of H4350 under a 142 SMK with CCI BR primers..
    260 Remington shooting 2" stickers...
    Average FPS 2746 with an SD of 6.7 over 10 shots..
    CBI 28" Bull 8 twist match chamber...

I have a couple shots each group that really open the group up, but if I could figure out what was causing those I'd be in business..

Banned
    Who are the cut barrel mfgs?

Long term that would be interesting to try.

Basic Member
    I have two Criterion barrels a 243 and a 262. The .243 shoots in the .2s and .3's. all day where is the 260 is more of a .5 moa and it is my FTR rifle but at 1000 it shoots very well I'm looking at my third Criterion barrels 6 br and the customer service at Criterion is exceptional I've had to send in my 260 and it came back much better.

Basic Member
    Thank you rjtfroggy for notifying us of your grouping issues with that .308 barrel. As per our earlier discussion I think we could help tighten those groups up a bit with the lighter loads by slowing the twist rate down some (rather than a 1-10 twist we'll spin up a replacement in 1-13 twist). We also have a chambering reamer that is a bit better suited for shorter, lighter, bullet configurations with a more appropriate freebore length. Since the intended purpose of the barrel is 200 yard benchrest competition, we should be able to configure that barrel to better perform in its intended setting.

I sent your replacement barrel out to the shop with a notice to have it fast tracked through production, so you should be receiving it within the next four weeks or so. Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

-Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12