Thread: Question for site sponsors concerning savage barrels

Basic Member

Question for site sponsors concerning savage barrels

I am considering a barrel swap on my model 10 FCP in .308 and have been checking out the site sponsors web sites and most don't actually say if they deal/ship to Canada. So this is a request for them to maybe inform us Canadians if the answer is yes or no. Thanks

I can definitely answer NO. I don't give up easily, but after exploring all avenues, I gave up. When it comes to gun parts, the Canadian Police definitely don't like them coming into their country. I would love to post the answer I received from them, but it's best to leave it alone. Plus I know a person with the BATF who told me NOT to do it, just take his word, and I mean he emphatically told me "don't" do it or even try.

This is where the letter came from:

Correctional Service Canada/Service correctionnel du CanadaCalgary Parole office/Bureau de libération conditionelle de Calgary
    Case Management Assistant/Adjointe de gestion des cas
    Manning Rd NE
    Calgary, AB, T2E 2P5
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

McGowen Precision Barrel out of Kalispell Montana has the proper export licenses. Call Dan Wynne at 406-755-4907 and he should be able to help you out. I know they provide barrels for Martin Hagn, a Canad
    ian maker of custom single shots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I can definitely answer NO. I don't give up easily, but after exploring all avenues, I gave up. When it comes to gun parts, the Canadian Police definitely don't like them coming into their country. I would love to post the answer I received from them, but it's best to leave it alone. Plus I know a person with the BATF who told me NOT to do it, just take his word, and I mean he emphatically told me "don't" do it or even try.
    As much as I love the Cannucks, I have also had my share or run ins with them.

Some are very level headed, others, very not so much.

We came across a guy who had a car break loose from his camper out of Beaver Creek YT. Road was god awful and he did not know where it let go.
    He looked for two days, talking to the RCMP they told him if he did not find it and leave Canada with it they would charge him with selling illegal vehicles in Canada.

I think it took him 5 days before someone finally got him to where it had gone off the road, through a screen of trees and then they closed in behind (it was ok which was nice, lovely old Rambler with a dent in the bumper)

Way back we were bring a State of Alaska Parks construction caravan heading back to Alaska from Haines (you have to go through Canada to get from that part of AK to the nearest other part) . Guy is telling us we have to empty the work trailer and pickup and give him a complete inventory of ALL our tools (in the rain). Not going down, never for that crew before. Why? You could sell them in Canada and that's illegal.

His boss finally came out and looked at the guy like he was a bug, so he say7s, you think they are going to get to their next job and do what? Report all their tools stolen? Lets be real here.

Friend had a car breaking down at -20, guy would not open the station up to get him enough oil to get to Whitehorse. Code of the North is that no matter what, you don't leave people out in that temperature's.

Others have moved hand and foot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

This is where the letter came from:

Correctional Service Canada/Service correctionnel du CanadaCalgary Parole office/Bureau de libération conditionelle de Calgary
    Case Management Assistant/Adjointe de gestion des cas
    Manning Rd NE
    Calgary, AB, T2E 2P5
    Canada could care less what we bring in gun wise they only want their taxes Where we are having the issue is with the US export rules. and it seems the vendors don't do enough dollar wise with Canada due to fees and permits required by your Gov. in order to ship north.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    As much as I love the Cannucks, I have also had my share or run ins with them.

Some are very level headed, others, very not so much.

We came across a guy who had a car break loose from his camper out of Beaver Creek YT. Road was god awful and he did not know where it let go.
    He looked for two days, talking to the RCMP they told him if he did not find it and leave Canada with it they would charge him with selling illegal vehicles in Canada.

I think it took him 5 days before someone finally got him to where it had gone off the road, through a screen of trees and then they closed in behind (it was ok which was nice, lovely old Rambler with a dent in the bumper)

Way back we were bring a State of Alaska Parks construction caravan heading back to Alaska from Haines (you have to go through Canada to get from that part of AK to the nearest other part) . Guy is telling us we have to empty the work trailer and pickup and give him a complete inventory of ALL our tools (in the rain). Not going down, never for that crew before. Why? You could sell them in Canada and that's illegal.

His boss finally came out and looked at the guy like he was a bug, so he say7s, you think they are going to get to their next job and do what? Report all their tools stolen? Lets be real here.

Friend had a car breaking down at -20, guy would not open the station up to get him enough oil to get to Whitehorse. Code of the North is that no matter what, you don't leave people out in that temperature's.

Others have moved hand and foot.
    that's true for both sides of the border. and it has only gotten worse since 9/11 I think both sides must hire the biggest ass h--es they can find to work borders.

that's true for both sides of the border. and it has only gotten worse since 9/11 I think both sides must hire the biggest ass h--es they can find to work borders.
    I was contacted by several people on both sides, I have to agree with your statement, I was belittled pretty good, especially from the North.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Banned
    Keep in mind my Canadian history goes back to the 50s when I was dragged kicking and screaming up the AlCan.

Over the years Canadians got pretty resentful of American and knowing how too many of them act, I don't particularly blame them.

Unfortunately lack of professionalism on either side can bleed over into their work. My Campground crew crossing was in the early 70s.

That said its a thankless and boring job and maybe attracts asses in higher numbers.

Twice I was rescued by a better supervisor.

My take has always been I am a guess in their country and I try to be as good a guest as I can be and as we know on our side, god help us if we cross a bureaucracy .

I had a lesson of being a bad guest going into Mexico one time. the officer was querying me and I casually sat on his desk as it seemed to be that sort of a discussion. Senior, why are you sitting on my desk? Ok, I got it, I just **** in his mess kit. Different culture different take on being casual and intrusion into someone's cultural feelings.

I can also relate when I first went Stateside on my own in the latter 70 with Alaska plates. After the 4th time a gas station attendant (no self serve allowed in those days!) and I almost got into a fight about Igloos, Polar bears and us living on a glacier I gave up trying to break down the myths!

That is too bad for the Canadian's, I hope they have good barrel maker's up there. Maybe they could order a blank? and have a Canada gunsmith finish it?

Can American's order stuff from Canada?
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Banned
    I tried one time, got really werid. Basically I would have to drive 500 miles to pick up the car I had located and then was not sure I could get across the border.

If its portable you just buy it and don't declare it.