Thread: Longer throat

Basic Member

Longer throat

What reamer do I need to get just to cut the throat little longer on a 223 and 22-250?

A piloted throating reamer. All of the tools needed to do this correctly is cost prohibitive.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

A competent smith should be able to re-throat any chamber as long as they have the throater for your caliber.

PT&G makes them for all calibers. Check their site.

Did you have a particular reason for wanting to throat your rifles chamber? A good thing about having a competent smith do it is that they know what is best for your purpose. The only reason I found a use for a longer throat was to run heavier bullets like the 190's or heavier in a 308.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    My Stevens 200 .223 with a 1 in 9 twist has a longer throat than my AR15 rifles do and the .223 and 22 250 are made in different throat lengths.

And if you lengthen the throat on any rifle your still limited by magazine length for OAL unless you single feed each round.

If your rifles have a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist a longer throat is not going to help with longer and heavier bullets.

Below from AccurateShooter.com

.22-250 Recommended Twist Rates

The .22-250 shoots a wide range of bullets very effectively, from 35gr flat-based varmint bullets, to ultra-long 90gr VLDs. However, you’ll need the right twist rate for your choice of bullet. For max velocity and accuracy with the lightest bullets, a 1:14″ twist may be ideal. More versatile is a 1:12″ twist that will allow you to shoot the popular 60-64 grain match bullets. For normal lead-core jacketed bullets, a true 1:9″ twist will let you shoot up to 75gr bullets (except some longer VLDs). The Hornady 75gr BTHP shoots very well in a 9-twist .22-250. Since most .22-250 Rem shooters prefer bullets in the 50-73gr range, a good “do-it-all” solution is a 9-twist.

Overall, what twist rate is best? For all-around use, including 500-600 yard ground hog matches, we like a 9-twist. That will let you shoot some pretty-high-BC bullets at long range without “choking” the lighter bullets too much. If you don’t plan to shoot at long range, a 12-twist barrel will do the job. The slower twist will give you a bit more velocity, and minimize the risk of jacket failure at high rpms. That’s one reason why the majority of factory .22-250 rifles are sold with 1:12″ twist barrels. Savage does offer some 9-twist barrel options. That’s nice if you shoot in windy conditions and need to stabilize a longer bullet. If you plan to use your .22-250 for across the course (high power) competition, you’ll want to use the 77-80 grain boat-tail match bullets. For those, we suggest an 8-twist barrel (as long as it is a true 1:8″ twist). That will let you shoot the excellent 77gr and 80gr Sierra MatchKings, and 80gr Bergers.

22-250 Cartridge Guide
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

Basic Member
    If your goal is to increase velocity then I would say youre going about it the wrong way. Not only are you limited by magazine length but also twist rate.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have a 1-8 barrel I single feed would like to get the bullets out of the case little more think after the match season going to have throat cut

Basic Member
    A PTG "uni throater" is neither cost prohibitive nor difficult to use. I built a .223 with the idea of shooting medium/heavy bullets but then I got hooked on F/TR and needed a slightly longer throat to shoot the heavy, high BC bullets required.

For around 150 bucks, if I remember correctly, you get the tool and handle to extend the throat. You should remove the stock but you can leave the action on the barrel.

It's not quite fool proof, but anyone handy with tools can do the job. If you're like me and you pretend to be a gunsmith in your garage, just be sure to measure, measure, measure and after that make a cut calculated at about half of what you need and then measure measure measure before you make the final cut. In other words, unless you're a pro, I would suggest you "sneak up" on the correct dimension.

The new reamer cuts VERY easily and unless you're careful you can quickly go too far and there ain't no going back from there.

You may be able to purchase a "used once" reamer or perhaps you can sell yours when you done as "used once" and get a good portion of your investment back.

Basic Member
    The uniformity of a rifle chamber throat is critical to accuracy. Although Im sure Mozella acheived great results, I highly recommend that a qualified gunsmith complete this kind of work. Better safe than sorry.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Banned
    You could send the barrel out, or order a second barrel with a deepr throat from one of the sponsers.

Jim with Apache is reported to do good work (my barrel has as beautiful l a target crown as I have ever seen, threads were perfect for nut and receiver, chamber (standard 308 in this case) was exactly spot on per the 123FV I have (the XC barrel is currently on a 111. )

Cases for the 12FV that were minimal resized shoulder push back .004 fit the XC 308 chamber perfectly with the go and no go adjustment per Savage specs (easy full close on the go and no close at all on the no go, tested on both the original 12FV and the 30-06 barrel that came on the 111.

I am keeping at least two shootable guns, if I need to send a barrel out for any reason I have another one to put on the gun for the interim.

When I shoot one barrel out I have the spare to put on until I can get one. Shooting over 125 rounds a week most weeks so that's pushing 5000 rounds a year if I shoot a single gun (that is now split with the 12FV 308 and the 111 with the XC 308, and a bull barrel 30-06 is in th4e works (I would have order from Dennis aka Jim aka Accurate barrels and Apache if I knew now what I did before).

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    A PTG "uni throater" is neither cost prohibitive nor difficult to use. I built a .223 with the idea of shooting medium/heavy bullets but then I got hooked on F/TR and needed a slightly longer throat to shoot the heavy, high BC bullets required.

For around 150 bucks, if I remember correctly, you get the tool and handle to extend the throat. You should remove the stock but you can leave the action on the barrel.

It's not quite fool proof, but anyone handy with tools can do the job. If you're like me and you pretend to be a gunsmith in your garage, just be sure to measure, measure, measure and after that make a cut calculated at about half of what you need and then measure measure measure before you make the final cut. In other words, unless you're a pro, I would suggest you "sneak up" on the correct dimension.

The new reamer cuts VERY easily and unless you're careful you can quickly go too far and there ain't no going back from there.

You may be able to purchase a "used once" reamer or perhaps you can sell yours when you done as "used once" and get a good portion of your investment back.

I agree a uni-throater from PT&G is a good idea. Those work great and no need to worry about the throat extension having any runout since it self centers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I agree a uni-throater from PT&G is a good idea. Those work great and no need to worry about the throat extension having any runout since it self centers.
    The uni-throaters are great. Like the others said, they're pretty straightforward if you're even moderately competent with a hand tool. I have a .338 uni-throater that I've used on a couple guns with great results. All of those barrels are capable of .5 moa at 1000 yards when I make the right wind calls.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post
    The uni-throaters are great. Like the others said, they're pretty straightforward if you're even moderately competent with a hand tool. I have a .338 uni-throater that I've used on a couple guns with great results. All of those barrels are capable of .5 moa at 1000 yards when I make the right wind calls.
    You make a good point. If you can't change a faucet washer, perhaps you better find someone else to do the job. A good gunsmith will be able to do the job properly, but not everyone who claims to be "good" actually is good. A uni-throater isn't fool proof, just ask any fool. But it's not rocket surgery either.

Lots of things are risky, including sex, but that doesn't mean I'm going to hire someone to have sex on my behalf because it's risky. Others may disagree.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Lots of things are risky, including sex, but that doesn't mean I'm going to hire someone to have sex on my behalf because it's risky. Others may disagree.
    It's especially risky with other people's wives, whether or not it's you or your proxy...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk