Thread: 320 Security is a winner!

2A Guy

320 Security is a winner!

A few days ago I bought a Stevens 320 Security 12 gauge on sale for $199. After a tear down and good cleaning and oiling, today I put it through its paces and it worked flawlessly and shot accurately. I’m certainly pleased with the gun and hope that it continues to function without a bobble. Only time will tell, but I have no reason to believe that it will fail. It took four years for me to finally pull the trigger both figuratively and actually. In 2012 I saw one for the first time and liked its appearance and feel but I couldn’t figure out why it was selling for so much less than the competitions’ guns. As soon as the clerk explained the meaning of “PRC” it became clear and my interest died. All I could think about was growing up in the ‘50’s when “Made in Japan” meant ”don’t waste your hard earned money.” Same here, I thought. Fast forward to last week. I checked it out once again, this time with the perspective that Japan currently makes some of the best cars and trucks, electronics, etc. Maybe it was time to take a chance on China. I did some online research and found that recent production guns have few, if any, of the early production flaws. The gun I bought is blemish free, solidly welded, no gaps in stock to receiver mating, etc. The trigger is no prize winner but is functional for the intended purpose. I like the finish on military arms, so the matte black on barrel and similar finish on the receiver appeal to me and again is appropriate for the intended purpose. I ran 35 rounds total of 1 oz bird shot, 1 ˝ oz rabbit loads, 00 buck, and Brenneke slugs without a hitch. Shooting on a 50 yard smallbore bullseye target at 25 yards, sight adjustment put 3 of them in the black. I recommend a good You Tube disassembly vid by sparetimeprojects6 Stevens Savage 320 Pump Disassembly. Also go to survivalistboard.com shotgun forum Stevens/Savage 320 where you can read accounts of dozens of happy 320 owners. Sun City Machinery might not be a household name in the US, but my 2 cents says if you have been considering buying one, don’t wait!

Basic Member
    Was this the one with the Ghost ring sights?

I just bought a Savage 320 yesterday.

Basic Member
    They have the basic 320 with bead sights, no rail and not drilled and tapped for $189.00 at Academy Sports.

2A Guy
    First, I apologize for taking so long to reply, but yes, the one with the ghost ring sights. To date I have put almost 80 mixed shells through it without any problems.

2A Guy
    I hope ifithitu gets the same performance as I have and that he reports how his 320 functions.

Basic Member
    I will probably pick one up as well here in a few weeks.

I know Charleslv purchased one (or two?) of these awhile back and put it through one of the Tactical Shotgun courses at Front Sight and it performed flawlessly. Only complaint he had was due to the buttstock design it beat the living crap out of him.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

2A Guy
    Tell your buddy to buy a Butler Creek medium slip-on recoil pad #50326. Goes on over the gun's recoil pad and adds about an inch to length of pull but really mitigates the recoil. Now well over 100 rounds of mixed 2 3/4" through my gun without a bobble.

Hagar
    I got me a 320 security over a week ago. One thing I can tell you about China, they make stuff according to the contracts so they can make crap and they can make good products. Lots of times they're contracted to make crap thus the reputation.