Thread: Which is better?

joebreeding.jb

Which is better?

joebreeding.jb
    Quote Originally Posted by joebreeding.jb View Post
    Trying

joebreeding.jb
    Witch is better Marlin Henry or a Winchester now I'm looking for a all weather one and very accurate?

joebreeding.jb
    30/30

Basic Member
    A JM stamped Marlin IMO

More difficult to put a scope on a Winchester due to the upward ejection of the empty case. A "new" Winchester is not made in the USA. Miroku in Japan makes all Winchester-marked lever action rifles, if you can find one. They are also typically more expensive.

Henry makes a fine rifle. They are typically very smooth from the factory, they can also be heavier. No loading gate as on traditional Winchester & Marlin rifles, they are loaded like rimfire rifles. Great for hunting. More expensive.

The new Remington made Marlins are better now than they were after the company was initially moved to NY, though you do still find lemons in them. The original JM marked Marlin rifles are pretty good.

I have no experience with the Mossberg lever action rifles.

For a .30-30 Win - I'd scrounge local pawn shops for a mechanically sound 336 and have it cerakoted or hard-chromed.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

joebreeding.jb
    Thank you everybody keeps saying look for the jm stamp one's but I do like the Henry 30/30 all weather one and really like how you load them I think they are 850.00 I think but would pay it if I can find it need to check the pawn stores thanks again. Or there new 223 which is good for long distance shooting I mean real far but hard to fine?

I'll say it again - Henry makes a fine rifle. On top of that, they're made in the USA and have a great warranty "should" you ever need it.

Those all-weather models are fairly new so you'll probably pay close to MSRP wherever you find it.

If you do find one, make sure to post back up your impressions.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

joebreeding.jb
    I sure will and thanks

Basic Member
    Unfortunately there are some Remlins out there with JM stamped barrels. A few years ago I was ready to pull the trigger on a JM stamped stainless steel Marlin but the serial # said it was built after the Remington takeover. I called Remington and a gentleman explained that Marlin proofed barrels were shipped to NY where they were assembling the rifles, and those early rifles had alignment problems.
    As far as Henry rifles are concerned they are well built and guaranteed for the life of the rifle.

Basic Member
    I have had a couple Marlin guide guns in 45-70. Both shoot great and its a formidable round for all North American species out to 250 yds. I have never cared for the anemic 30/30. Never will.

joebreeding.jb
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I have had a couple Marlin guide guns in 45-70. Both shoot great and its a formidable round for all North American species out to 250 yds. I have never cared for the anemic 30/30. Never will.
    Why not the 30/30?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Too anemic. Not enough power and too short range. The 30/30 is a nice light weight carry rifle, but other than that, i see no value in it. Just my personal opinion. The same model was once avail in .35 Rem, a much more powerful round, but those cartridges are hard to come by these days.

joebreeding.jb
    Too anemic. Not enough power and too short range. The 30/30 is a nice light weight carry rifle, but other than that, i see no value in it. Just my personal opinion. The same model was once avail in .35 Rem, a much more powerful round, but those cartridges are hard to come by these days.
    What do you think is better the 45 LC or the 357/38 for target and steel at 100 yard's

Quote Originally Posted by joebreeding.jb View Post
    What do you think is better the 45 LC or the 357/38 for target and steel at 100 yard's

I personally don't think any of those three are good for 100 yd targets, more like 50.

With that said, the 357 Mag is going to have the best trajectory with factory loads (and probably hand loads as well).

38 Special is more readily available and cheaper.

45 Colt is better (IMO) for hunting.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Basic Member
    When I started hunting in the late 40s, the 30/30 was far and away the most popular deer cartridge in America.
    Others like the 300 savage and 35 rem were very popular also. In fact they were no doubt the 3 most popular
    cartridges in states like PA which had lots of deer hunters. My first gun was a 94 Winchester in 30/30 and my father
    and brother had one also. We all soon moved to other guns and cartridges with me going to a pump 35 rem and they
    each to 99 savages in 300 sav. The 35 was a better choice but other than bullet weight not by much in my opinion.
    Neither of them are what id today call a good choice of cartridge for deer hunting.
    But having owned and killed deer with both, id opt for the 35 rem over the 30/30.

Basic Member
    I agree with Rick and Yobuck .

Just to add to what Rick said about the 45LC... Just for what it's worth, I think the 45LC is better than the other pistol calibers, but not better than the 30/30. The 30/30 has much more speed and kinetic energy. However, at close range (inside 50 yards), the 45LC has the advantage of making a bigger hole.

If I had to choose a traditional pistol cartridge (assuming 450BM, for example, is not an option), I would go with the .44 Mag.

If I wanted a fun to carry and fun to shoot "cowboy gun", they will all work within 75 yards or so. and are great for plinking. Not good for medium to larger size deer (over 100 pounds).
    Again, just as Yobuck said about the 30/30's popularity in the 20's-40's... just because they worked and were popular does not mean they are a good choice given all the other options available today.

Finally, if I were a "Violator", I would opt for sub-sonic .22LR inside 75 yards and a good light. Put the bullet right behind the ear and any size deer will drop like a rock. Doesn't make it right.

Basic Member
    I agree with Rick and Yobuck .

Just to add to what Rick said about the 45LC... Just for what it's worth, I think the 45LC is better than the other pistol calibers, but not better than the 30/30. The 30/30 has much more speed and kinetic energy. However, at close range (inside 50 yards), the 45LC has the advantage of making a bigger hole.

If I had to choose a traditional pistol cartridge (assuming 450BM, for example, is not an option), I would go with the .44 Mag.

If I wanted a fun to carry and fun to shoot "cowboy gun", they will all work within 75 yards or so. and are great for plinking. Not good for medium to larger size deer (over 100 pounds).
    Again, just as Yobuck said about the 30/30's popularity in the 20's-40's... just because they worked and were popular does not mean they are a good choice given all the other options available today.

Finally, if I were a "Violator", I would opt for sub-sonic .22LR inside 75 yards and a good light. Put the bullet right behind the ear and any size deer will drop like a rock. Doesn't make it right.
    This day and age we might get involved in the proper definition and meaning of the word (right).
    Ive known some violators who didn't worry about using a light and a 22 rimfire.
    They simply made sure their family members all did the (right) thing and had hunting licences
    and doe tags. One was somewhat famous in the area as he was a fairly well
    known outdoor writer. And of all things a member of the 5 member board of
    the PA game commission, appointed by the governor for upstanding character and wisdom.
    Untill recently I had letters from him written on official game commission stationary in which
    he flat out called me a slob hunter in those words for the method I preferred to hunt.
    But apparently so long as you hunted by his sanctioned methods, you could shoot as many as you liked.
    Provided they were properly tagged of coarse.

Basic Member
    I've got a mossberg 30-30 lever action. 20" barrel. Pretty sure it's a copy of the post 64 Winchester. Sure feels like and operates like one anyway.
    I put a scope on it,which I took off within a few weeks. Prefer the open sights for the range it's useful for. I'm also reloading for it using those hornady plastic tips and they work really well.
    I really don't have any complaints about it for what it is. It's my primary deer rifle because where we hunt the brush is so thick a 50 meter shot is as long as it gets.
    If I was going to buy again I'd buy the 45-70. Only because I've come across a few bears these past years and I'll admit some concern about them.
    But it all depends what you plan to hunt. Both are great cartridges for their intended use.

^^^
    But it all depends what you plan to hunt. Both are great cartridges for their intended use.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.