Thread: Marlin XS-7 Heavy barrel

Basic Member

Marlin XS-7 Heavy barrel

I read somewhere that these are identical to the savage. Any truth with this? This one is a 22-250 and I want to swap barrels on it. Does anyone make any aftermarket barrels?

Any help??????

_________________________<br />There&#39;s no replacement for displacement!<br /><br /><br />[img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1542.png[/img]

Basic Member
    Similar threads, bolt face recess slightly different and it may work. I put a Marlin 223 XS-7 barrel on a Savage 11. A little looser threads, .005", but it fit. Make sure HS is right without bolt hitting the barrel causing interference.

I have one, but have done several, starting about 5 years ago.
    The threads are the standard Savage Small shank for: Marlin XL-7/X-7/Savage small shank/Rem 783.
    The bolt head parts for the XL-7 are the same as the Rem 783.

All 4 Marlins that have had various Savage, or aftermarket Savage barrels on them: ALL factory rifles had a very *SLIGHT* bolthead to barrel interference, stock. You can see the blueing being wiped(assuming you actually shoot a lot). Only 1 barrel was it a bit "tight" in terms of interference when setting headspace. So I put the bolthead on by diamond hone and juuuuust knocked it down a wee bit. VIOLA!!

So yes, they are the same. Normal manufacturing tollerance stack CAN be slightly different. But as anyone who has fooled with Salvage knows, without swapping brands there can be stunning differences.
    As far as "Aftermarket" for barrels, anyone who does standard Savage Drop-in's for a small shank, will work fine and dandy.

This is my XL-7, turned into a Creedmoor with an ER Shaw Savage drop-in. Have done a few posts about/with it here.

Last edited by darkker; 06-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.