Thread: First Bolt Build Savage 10 .243 to 7mm08

wellbilldancesays

First Bolt Build Savage 10 .243 to 7mm08

Hello, been reading this board for awhile and decided to do my first bolt action build. I've gotten a lot info from this site over the years so figured I would contribute.

First I ordered a Savage 10 .243 off GB. Paid a little more than I wanted at $265 but maybe I can recoup some costs by selling the bits I don't need.
    Here is a link to it on GB, It's pretty rough.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562760129

Next is the barrel ordered a X-Caliber from Apache in 7mm08 at 20" 1/9 twist.

For the stock I ordered is a H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 Savage 10FP 12 Target Varmint Tactical

They had a sale at Stocky Stock so couldn't pass it up for $329 but the color I want is backordered but no biggie.

Optic Wise I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50MM , an EGW rail and some Seekins Precision Rings.

A few other things I'm still considering and as I get everything and put it together I'll update and add pics.

Basic Member
    Looks like a great start and an awesome cartridge!

I agree with Roscoe. Great hunting and steel banging round.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

wellbilldancesays
    Thanks for the replies, the rifle has shipped.

In the meantime mulling over things like should I get the action timed and trued? What trigger?

Shoot the heck out of it and when you are ready contact SSS to see if you casn get on the next run list. Seen and used a lot of triggers, my favorite for trigger pull and safety is the SSS competition. The timney works great also with the Rifle Basics Sav I running 3rd. Honorable mention is the Sav II, Great trigger, pain to get safe and light.

If at some time you outgrow your stock get a good one that will enhance your shooting.

wellbilldancesays
    So the rifle is in California 10 day jail until Friday but I did get a EGW Recoil lug ordered and a SS nut, still thinking over the trigger. The stock accutrigger on it felt great at 2.10 but I'll probably get a timney.

BTW why was my thread moved? It's not considered a build?

I suggest the Sharp Shooter Supply comp trigger. If you don't like it, it should be an easy sell.

My fav triggers are the Savage non-accutriggers. After a little tuning (sanding) and polishing they are my Favorite. Crisper than the Timney's.

If this is a hunting rifle then I must admit a 20" barrel 7mm08 is a pleasure to carry and hits with authority.

140gr Hunt VLD over Varget is what I use for 7mm08. Not much choice when it comes to brass but at least Lapua is always available and can't complain about Lapua brass quality.

Banned
    I would consider sticking with the Acu Trigge, try it first. If its a hunting trigger you can change the rear spring and get the varmint (down to 1.5) $ 7 to 10 depending on who you buy it form.

Of all the triggers I have either owned or shot the acu trigger suits me the best. Includes the Timny. They are very good, just not worth the money over what the acu does.

when I went after my doner one of the required items was the acu trigger so I did not have to buy an aftermarket, saved $100.
    Last edited by RC20; 06-24-2016 at 08:42 PM.

wellbilldancesays
    Yeah I'm going to at first stick with the accutrigger for now cause it feels really good the way it is.