Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apache VS Bison?

Apache VS Bison?

Im looking to get my hands on a stainless 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I'm not sure is Apache is available to make a barrel for me at this point (I am waiting for a response back).

That being said, working on a budget here, I have contacted Bison who offered to make me a Stainless barrel shipped to my door for $235. He uses Green Mountain blanks. 2-4 week lead time. I love the price and wait time but I don't know about Green Mountain.

I was looking at the Apache sight and he seems to have two options. One being X Caliber and out of my price range. The other line does not mention who makes the blanks. Any ideas what blanks he uses? Recommendations of one over another?

Thanks guys, you have been awesome at answering questions. Also....anyone happen to have a good deal on a nice barrel sitting around? Worth a shot...

Team Savage
    I believe that apache also uses some green mountan blanks. He definately builds a top notch product with both of his barrel lines.
    Gunshack has mcgowen creedmore's in stock for $299. I like the mcgowens i have as well.

That's a tad bit more than what I was hoping to spend at this point. That being said,Gunshack looks to be out of stock anyhow.

Green Mountain is a decent barrel for a budget build but the extra $60 for a premium barrel like the Mcgowen is money well spent.

Well, after bouncing my head off the wall for loosing the ebay auction on an Apache barrel which was EXACTLY what I was after... I shot Jim at Apache an email asking if he would be willing to make me a barrel even though his website said he wasn't taking any orders. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email back offering me the same exact barrel for my highest bid shipped out the next day...

Jim you are awesome!

Basic Member
    Jim's the man!

Travistodd1,
    Was it the 308 bull barrel? If so I was the one who ran it up to $225. I did win the varmint barrel though. Can't wait to put it on my new build

No, I was seriously watching that one however. I was after the stainless Creedmoor Bull Barrel.

That was a nice barrel.... I've thought about it but stuck to the 308 as I am already equipped to feed it. I wish you luck in your search. I'll report back on the Apache barrel when I get some results... He just posted another varmint 308 on Ebay....

Basic Member
    Green Mountain blanks are excellent barrels that I've had experience with. Jim has machined all but one.
    The one he didn't shoots lites out too.

If Green Mountain had a cooler name they might get a little more respect.
    Most don't even give them a chance.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Hey Travis, Funny you mentioned that 6.5 Creedmoor. I was bidding on it too and lost out the last 30 sec. You think Jim might offer me the same deal you were able to get ? I did want to ask you long time shooters if that 1 to 9 twist was going to make a differents on how it shoots, from what I read the preferred twist on that caliber was a 1 to 8 twist would love to hear any advise you can give to be for my barrel section on my build. Thanks All

Basic Member
    I'd go 8twist to ensure you can stabalize the 140's. Otherwise 120's and down will probably preform better.

I strongly recommend getting a hold of Jim if you want a barrel. I had a member reach out to me and advise Jim makes barrels for his business and has a 15 day to your door turn around. I am a little concerned about the 1 in 9 twist but have read some people swear by the 1 in 8.5 over the 1 in 8. Its still going to be a while until the rifle is up and going. I still have lots of parts I am still searching for...

I will also say, Bison Gun Works had offered to make the same barrel for me for $235 shipped. He offered to cut to what ever contour I asked up to a full 1" Bull Barrel. I just couldn't really find any information and decided to spend a few extra dollars and order from Apache.

Basic Member
    I have not used BGW and won't make any comments towards them, but I have been shooting Jim's barrels for sometime now. Every barrel I've received has been easy to load for and extremely competitive for what I do.

I would say the reason I recommend the 8 twist is because if you ever get the opportunity to really stretch it out the extra stabalization provided will help out as it starts to reach that transonic point.

It can be a challenge for me to get out past 600 yards at times. Hopefully, I will get a spot set up a bit better soon. I have been thinking of joining the gun club near where I work but I don't get up there as often when not working.

Basic Member
    I'm not the most patient guy. I ordered a 243 barrel from Apache 8 months ago and still waiting. Ordered a Shilen from Midway. Delivered in one week.
    Ordered a 6.5 Grendel from Apache 2 months ago. Still waiting. Ordered same barrel from Bison. Delivered in 9 days.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the feedback LoneWolf will stick with 1 to 8 twist.

I was in the same boat with Apache. I ordered my .243 in September and .338 Edge in February, and USPS says both should be arriving today. BUT both of those are X-caliber barrels. I ordered a .338 Federal standard barrel in November and got it maybe four weeks after.

My barrel arrived today and I couldn't be happier with the shipping time. Granted, I believe it was already in stock and ready to go, it still got here fast.

Basic Member
    I have a bison 6.5 CM. I can't speak for the accuracy (waiting on mcmillan stock) but if it shoots as good as it looks it will be awesome. He was dead on with what he told me as far as lead time and was prompt in responding to all the emails I sent him.

Banned
    Mine should be here next week. If I had been ok with 28 inch I would have had it. Seemed a bit much, 3 weeks to get it done though I had thought sooner.

Still think its a better way to do, all reports are Apache works is good and all good reports on the X-caliber. a fair amount of iffy reports (not universal but there) on the Criterions alternative that came up .

I think Jim and Dennis should quit dating and just get married (in a business sense of course)

Two good operations just need to be in the same building, Jim does barrel and Dennis gets them out!

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Mine should be here next week. If I had been ok with 28 inch I would have had it. Seemed a bit much, 3 weeks to get it done though I had thought sooner.

Still think its a better way to do, all reports are Apache works is good and all good reports on the X-caliber. a fair amount of iffy reports (not universal but there) on the Criterions alternative that came up .

I think Jim and Dennis should quit dating and just get married (in a business sense of course)

Two good operations just need to be in the same building, Jim does barrel and Dennis gets them out!

I don't know really how to answer this, but your last sentence is almost hitting the nail on the head. In fact it might be directly on the head of the nail.

We have the prenuptial about 98% worked out, so what you see on the website is all facts.

I can assure all Jim is trying to get all the orders out that are current.

Everyone will be hearing from Jim shortly. Apache Gun Works will be stronger than ever, just give him a few more days.

Several have sent PM's or emails to me. I am answering them the best I can, please be assured of this. But please, don't flood me with messages on current orders with Jim. I will still have to talk to him which takes away time from his machine shop. Orders getting ready depend on him being in his shop. It should be straighten out realistically within 90 days. I am sure it will be shorter than 90 days, but I want to give plenty time for him to catch up.

Jim is a great person and a great machinist. You will be hearing from him.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-11-2016 at 12:22 AM.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Banned
    Yea it was said a bit tongue in cheek.

My wife is an artist and I understand the problem, she is very good artist, not a good business person.

Add in time taken from art work means less or no product and visa versa (no sales).

tough one to deal with and it sound like an outstanding combination when you guys get it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Yea it was said a bit tongue in cheek.

My wife is an artist and I understand the problem, she is very good artist, not a good business person.

Add in time taken from art work means less or no product and visa versa (no sales).

tough one to deal with and it sound like an outstanding combination when you guys get it worked out.
    Thanks for the reassuring words. And by the way, it is worked out.

The website is live and current as we speak, FYI. And it's only going to get better.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Jim does great work and I highly reccomend his barrels. for the level of work and attention to detail at his cost he can't be beat. I think the whole remote control society we live in is to blame. gotta have it now which is fine for those who are willing to cheat themselves for instant gratification....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast