Thread: Savage 10T from Cabela's - Need Input from Owners

Basic Member

Savage 10T from Cabela's - Need Input from Owners

I'm considering one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor. This is a rifle built just for Cabela's and only available there. I'm curious as to others' experiences with this rifle. I am also looking for info on what aftermarket stocks fit this rifle and input on the standard Savage stock as provided. Is the standard stock decent or should it be immediately replaced?

Process_engineer
    I have the .308 version. Shoots sub-moa. My only complaint is the stock, I had to add a foam pad so I could see through my scope. That's not savages fault though, it's my odd shaped gourd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Process_engineer

Savage 10T from Cabela's - Need Input from Owners

Process_engineer

Engin60er?
    I have a 10T 308 with a Vortex PST 4-16 on top. I also purchased a 10 rd FCP mag for it. All I can say is that I really love this gun. Slightly more accurate then my Rem 700 Varmint in 308.

It is a real tack driver.

Team Savage
    indy,,i have been eyeing this rifle too,,,, i have 2 model 12 one with and one without the accustock,,,, i thought i read the 10t came with the accustock, at any rate,,,,,, shoot the gun first , shoot it for a while , then make a decision
    process,,,,,,,, i have the bear tooth comb raising kit and love them,,,,, you might look at them,,,,

Basic Member
    I have both 308 and 6.5cm. The 308 is a tac driver from the first shot. Sent my creedmoor to savage as it was shooting piss poor. Tried with Hornady 140 ELD-M and 129 SST. Going on 3 weeks now and still at there range. Over all the 10T with 5R is a good rifle for the money. I put a Cadex chassis on mine. The original chassis is ok but I just wanted a better chassis. Others with the creedmoor are shooting fine. Good rifle to build from. I just got a bad one. You can see my build in the chassis section.

Just checked the status of my rifle. Has been at there range for 3 friggin weeks now and still not checked out.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 06-06-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: updated post
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    You folks with the creedmoor, how are they shooting? I got my rifle back from savage with them saying nothing is wrong. Here is the picture of there 100 yard target. My 10T 308 shoots better than this so not sure if I am being to critical of this new rifle. I tried with 140 ELD-M and 129 SST with worst than this pic, which is why I sent it in. Would you folks be happy with this? Next week will be trying 143 ELD-X to see how it goes.

Banned
    I considered it, seems like a good setup and stock wise a step up from 12FV.

I was not into the tactical end and it has the smoother barrel nut so a bit more fuss to get off if you want to change barrel.

Other than that it looks like a very good setup and a coin flip in my opinion as to what suits you.

I also single shoot so a magazine was not on my radar for likes, but that's me, other like and do fine with them.

the barrel rifling is a step up in accuracy though I think that's one of those things that equal to equal its maybe a bit better but like all that, barrel variations will have a non 5R shoot better than a 5R in some cases. Call it a possible adder in the accuracy department and not a negative. If it does not shoot well then its the overall barrel.

scuzzy
    I have one I put a 243 barrel on. It is a very nice rifle. I kept the stock since I could get 10 round mags and it is an accustock, I just added a check riser and painted it up for fun. I've hit out to 1000 yards with it, so it's sufficiently accurate. Tinker with the stock before you buy one. I may end up with a Manners eventually, but for the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with the accustock. I bought this rifle to start competing in tactical steel competitions and it was a great budget way to get into it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    You folks with the creedmoor, how are they shooting? I got my rifle back from savage with them saying nothing is wrong. Here is the picture of there 100 yard target. My 10T 308 shoots better than this so not sure if I am being to critical of this new rifle. I tried with 140 ELD-M and 129 SST with worst than this pic, which is why I sent it in. Would you folks be happy with this? Next week will be trying 143 ELD-X to see how it goes.

With all due respect, I would not be happy with that, at all. Not saying your shooting is lacking or anything like that, just MHO on the group size.

Basic Member
    That's the grouping at savage testing it. It was worst when I shot with 140 ELD-M and 129 SST. I'm not happy with it. Others have said it should tighten up with more rounds shot. Hopefully it will. Either the 143 ELD-X or once I start load development for it I will get it allot better. Otherwise I either sell it or rebarrel it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTrigger View Post
    With all due respect, I would not be happy with that, at all. Not saying your shooting is lacking or anything like that, just MHO on the group size.
    I disagree. It's a 1" group from factory ammo and in all likelihood the barrel was clean and not fouled considering he told us over in AR15 that they just cleaned it really good. It'll tighten up just fine with hand loads which is what he's going to be using.

For or what it's worth, my gun shot 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X the same as the pic he listed, about 1 inch at 100 yards. With hand loads I'm under 0.3 MOA with multiple load combinations.

Keep on driving towards the load dev bearcatrp, it'll tighten up and as we know all rifles are different. If it doesnt, then sell and go for the stealth or RPR lol

Basic Member
    Otherwise I either sell it or rebarrel it.
    bearcatrp. didn't mean to come off as an @sshat. I just recently went through the same pain with my RPR in .308. I was super excited to shoot it and and see the tiny groups that everyone was talking about. When I couldn't get better than 1.5 MOA at 100 I stopped shooting it and was going to sell it, but instead decided to rebarrel it. I'm glad I did because now it shoots great.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTrigger View Post
    bearcatrp. didn't mean to come off as an @sshat. I just recently went through the same pain with my RPR in .308. I was super excited to shoot it and and see the tiny groups that everyone was talking about. When I couldn't get better than 1.5 MOA at 100 I stopped shooting it and was going to sell it, but instead decided to rebarrel it. I'm glad I did because now it shoots great.
    Oh, and it didn't take 200 rounds, or 100, or 50 or 20 to get the rifle to shoot after putting on the new barrel. It was shooting .5 MOA and better from the first few shots.

Basic Member
    My 10T 308 is a tac driver in 5 rounds after zeroing it. Was hoping the creedmoor would have been the same. Will see next week withe the 143 ELD-X. Next month will get my dies to start load development.

JoeMal
    (Hey bearcat)

Late to the party...my 10T is a nice gun. I'll agree the stock needs some help to get me a good sight picture.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting Joe. Time for a new chassis. XLR or Cadex.

JoeMal
    Nice shooting Joe. Time for a new chassis. XLR or Cadex.
    Someday...

Right now I'm building up my component stash for ammo hoarding. $600+ buys a lot of primers/powder/projectiles

Basic Member
    600 bucks buys allot of reloading stuff. Who did the paint job?