Thread: can finally afford a trip need a rifle

dogdown

can finally afford a trip need a rifle

I can finally afford to go on a nice week long whitetail hunt out of New York. this mean i have to get a rifle to shoot longer ranges than my .444 can go. so i was thinking .308 or .338 federal. i know that question was asked before( still like to here fresh ideas), but i was thinking of being able to have a switch barrel gun with maybe the addition of.260. i dont know if theres a differnce between the model 12,16 and 10 actions( is one easier to work on). but a shop has all three. so any help would be great. the guide said most shots are inside of 500yds. im not shooting over 300 because thats the farthest i can practice.

Team Savage

Re: can finally afford a trip need a rifle

All the late model Savage short action accutrigger rifles are mostly the same.

You can switch and swap all sorts of stuff, stocks, triggers, recoil lugs, barrels, bolt heads, 223, magnum size,
    custom size like 6.8 spc etc.

Long action the same, just more options.

Stevens are a little different in the trigger and safety area

For 300 yards I would go for a 308 but that's just my preference.

eagleye

Long action gives you more options if you are thinking about barrel switching and the accuracy you loose isn't worth mentioning for big game, there's a 30-06 m14 on 6mmbr.com for wicked cheap, so cheap it's hard for even me to resist and I don't even like savages.

Pete

dogdown

thanks for the input

Basic Member

Unless you get into the large shank actions all short actions are the same (except for stainless). The nomenclature for Savage short actions is 10= police heavy barrel, 12= varmint heavy barrel, 16= stainless sporter. The short action sporter is the Model 11. As has been stated, the long actions give more options. BTW, the nomenclature is similar, as in 111= sporter, 110= Police, and 116= stainless.

Basic Member

Bass Pro shop has a clip package deal with scope on sale for $379(it normally is $399). It includes a cheap 3x-9x-40 scope. The calibers are 223, 22-250, 243 in a youth model, 270, 308, 30-06, 300WM and 7mm.

22" barrel with synthetic stock but without accutrigger.

Even without the accutrigger this is still a decent deal.

Dolomite

dogdown

that is a deal. to bad theres no bass pro shop near me. thanks for the nomenclature i was wondering what the designations were.

borg

I'm going to say go for a .243. Low recoil, flat shooting, and well matched to the game you are hunting. It shoots flatter than either a .308 or .338 fed.

powderburn

I have a stevens 200 in 308 and would happily hunt anywhere with it. As a matter of fact I bought it with the idea if I had to travel by air then this is the rifle that would go. A very capable rifle useful for about anything and anywhere I would hunt yet it is not so dear that I would be emotionally scared if the baggage guys had their way with it. My buddy has a twin in 7mm-08 and we agree that it's it's a good thing we bought our other rifles first because once you get one of these it's tuff to justify the need for another rifle.

Basic Member

Where in New York are you going? I grew up in VT, just across the lake and I really can't see why you would need anything other than your .444.

If you were going to CO or WY a long range rifle may be useful but in (I'm assuming) upstate NY?

How far out are you planning to shoot?

borg

Quote Originally Posted by mattri
    Where in New York are you going? I grew up in VT, just across the lake and I really can't see why you would need anything other than your .444.

If you were going to CO or WY a long range rifle may be useful but in (I'm assuming) upstate NY?

How far out are you planning to shoot?
    That is what I was originally thinking, but I've never been to New York. Even if there is a 200 yard shot, those new Hornady flex tip bullets should do the job.

dogdown

ill be headed down to north carolina. so the .444 is gonna come up to short

borg

Quote Originally Posted by dogdown
    ill be headed down to north carolina. so the .444 is gonna come up to short
    That's not really a plains state, but I'm not your wife. I'm all for you buying a new gun. Once again, I'd go with the .243. You've got the really big critters covered with that .444 rainbow hucker. A shoulder-friendly laser like the .243 would serve you well.

dogdown

well were off tomorrow for north carolina. using a 30-06 with 150gr. federal. be there for a week will post pics when i return. 2 buck and 2 doe. need full coolers

Basic Member

How did it go?

dogdown

went well. got a doe, spike, and a bigger spike. weather was insane. 3 days of rain. thursday night passed out at 1030. woke up friday morning to 40 degrees. crazy weather. thank you whoever came up with Thermacell. saved that hunt

borg

Correction: You got a doe, spike, a bigger spike, AND A NEW RIFLE! .30-06 is an excellent choice. Mine thumps me uncomfortably hard from a bench, but who wants to shoot from a bench all the time anyway?