Thread: 111 Project Rifle

Banned

Action Wrench Tool on 111 Project Rifle

I got the action wrench, nut tool today and other parts today (NSS) you have to love a tool that is well done.

This one is, worked exactly up to expectations (seldom that happens). - well done NSS!

Put heat on the nut with a hair dryer (output around 240 degrees) put the 1/2 inch extension (breaker) bar on the tool and the barrel came off with minimal effort.

Put the barrel between two blocks of wood and unwound the factory nut off the threads.

missed an email from Jim otherwise I would have a 308 barrel to put on for now. drats. One on the way but not here yet.

Postman came late today instead of early per normal, pace pace pace
    Last edited by RC20; 06-04-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Banned
    I used the Wheeler. Worked great.
    Last edited by Dave Hoback; 06-05-2016 at 02:46 PM.

The mods will probably move it for ya. Hotolds stays on top of things pretty well. I will forewarn you...this path you're going down is addicting......but its A LOT of fun! Good luck with it...I'll keep up with this thread for the progress.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Banned
    Dave: Bad title for what I was conveying, I would prefer not to be referred to as Bud though.

56 views so there is interest

This is just the tool appreciations end as well as a way to go about it in my view not a total project though the title did state that.

also a note you don't need a hammer to break these loose, just heat and a breaker bar.

Being a mechanic its something of an anathema to use force where not needed.

I like good measured thought out procedure, that was mine and it worked as hoped.

Worth passing on I think.

If it develops into more than just an appreciation of ones tool, I'll move it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    The mods will probably move it for ya. Hotolds stays on top of things pretty well. I will forewarn you...this path you're going down is addicting......but its A LOT of fun! Good luck with it...I'll keep up with this thread for the progress.
    Scooter
    Yes it is addicting. I thought I would be ok with one barrel on the way, then wanted to get going and have use for a 308 barrel on the other gun and so.....

Being a mechanic I go about things more the way an engine re-builder would.

I thought the thing should break loose with heat on the nut and thread area and did so.

there is a lot of satisfaction in pulling current tools (breaker bar and torque wrench, vice) into use with a plan that works per past experience

The idea is to have something that I could do free of a gunsmith and not a major pain (I get plenty of that at work).

Its proven to be exactly that so the research into the Savage and what can be done with it was spot on as well (enjoying the benefit of others have paved the road for me!)

Maybe the Moderators can change the title to Action Tool Use?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If it develops into more than just an appreciation of ones tool, I'll move it.
    That works. The NSS tool is all I could ask and I am picky about tools doing and being what they are supposed to. this certainly was.

Change the title?

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    That works. The NSS tool is all I could ask and I am picky about tools doing and being what they are supposed to. this certainly was.

Change the title?
    You can do that. Go to the original post, hit "edit post" bottom right, select "go advanced" bottom right, and edit the title.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Banned
    Add one item into procedures and or as a warning.

If you use a torque wrench on the nut tool, either the small 4 inch (middle of nut tool to middle of the half inch whole) or the square and round nut longer one. You need to re-calculate toque setting as you have more leverage.

In my case it takes the recommend toque of 45-50 lbs down to ( 24) WRONG, should be 32-34 (using a mid of 48). Torque wrenches come in different lengths so that is for mine not a given for all.

Also I have the dual nut type nut wrench so I have 7 inches added not the 4 of the smaller square one.

On line calculators for that though I do it by hand as a cross check (it should be lower not higher)
    Last edited by RC20; 06-05-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Wrong torque value

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You can do that. Go to the original post, hit "edit post" bottom right, select "go advanced" bottom right, and edit the title.
    Done! Thank you.

I used to work at a small garage in high school so I get where you're coming from. We didn't do a lot of major stuff though.

I've really enjoyed doing these Savage builds. I went to the savageshooters shoot in April and it was first time past 400ish to speak of and I hit steel out to 1k. It was with a 6br I put together myself, pillared, bedded and all. It's very rewarding.
    I've only had to use heat on a rem700 I converted to a remage. The rest of mine have came loose with a light tap of a small deadblow.
    And...yes the NSS tool is really nice, I bought all my stuff from Jim for my first build.
    Good luck on your build.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Banned
    In my world dead blows are ok, I hate smacking a precision device like a receiver with a hard hammer even indirectly through the nut wrench.

I went right to heat and the breaker bar. If that had no worked then torch heat but harder to control. Certainly there is goo of some kind on the threads.

I would suggest a breaker bar, 16 inch and fairly low cost. Assumes you have a good stable vice. I saw one guy doing it on a folding bench, I think he took a 5 lb hammer to it finally as there was too much give to get it to come off.

I don't know if the heat was needed but if so hair dryer was enough

The donnar gun is somewhat older, 10 years more or less and from past, older things are the worse they get stuck together.

Banned
    I would also add that I very much appreciate the torque spec in the NSS instructions for tightening down the action wrench cap screws as well as the replacement action screw.

I have spare sockets so I added in one for the 3/4 inch cap screws.

I am putting a kit together to keep all the parts in one plastic box, including socket so I don't have to go look for them.

I got a low cost 3/8 to 1/2 adapter (torque wrench Is 3/8 which is suitable range for those 20 lb torque area ranges that are almost spot on for all the fasteners and the nut with offset calc.

3/16 hex socket that covers not only that screw with the action wrench but also works for the gun itself.

I have all that at work but don't want to try to remember to get it back and forth.

I don't normally by low cost stuff, but this is not heavy use and the quality item needed is the torque wrench and its a good one from my days of serious mechanicing.

Banned
    In the data on toque spec I used for the offset of the wrench I have amended that (the error is left there so not to cover it up)

I did not like the initial value as it should only have been half the non extended value if the extension was as long as the torque wrench and it definitely is not.

I redid the calculation and then cross checked it on my online torque calculator at work. It comes out to 32-34 in my case though the toque wrench length is not standard so it depends on length of the wrench as well as the offset as to where it come out. Ergo my value is going to be different than someone else who uses a different length torque wrench.

You should always listen to yourself. The first cross check is the value should be lower, the next one is it should make sense.

This is the best on line torque offset calculator, easy to use and allows for an angle if needed (seldom if ever used by myself but its there)

http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

It comes out to 32-34 in my case though the toque wrench length is not standard so it depends on length of the wrench as well as the offset as to where it come out. Ergo my value is going to be different than someone else who uses a different length torque wrench.
    Are you certain about this?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I lost track on this one.

Yep, 34 ft lls on the outer hole.

On the other hand, as I was reminded (or never realized as never could do it that way) offset at 90 deg is zero ft lbs so if you can then do that.

The 06 Bull came in so its now a 30-06 and went with the 90 deg.

Again reminded how nice a job NSS does on that action wrench.

took all of two hours to take the 308 bull off, put the 06 on and that included a bit of stock work in the recoil slot area work to accommodate the thicker recoil lug (I just used the narrow on the first go around)

If you were hitting and getting you could do it in an hour but I was not moving fast today and go slow on this stuff anyway. Its just plain fun and I can enjoy it longer.

Also lusting after a Savage Hunter setup, $434 with Cabella Rebate and Savage Rebate.