Thread: Savage 12 LRPV Accu-Trgger lock's up

Basic Member

Savage 12 LRPV Accu-Trgger lock's up

I have a new to me Savage 12 LRPV in 223. The previous owner told me that he had a problem with the trigger tripping/locking up and that the bolt had to be recycled. I had this issue before with a Savage 10FP so I adjusted the trigger, turning it in 1 turn. I took it to the range and it was fine for 10 - 15 rounds then started doing it again. It got to the point where I couldn't get it to fire at all. Could the adjustment screw be backing out? Need some help with this problem.
    I got this in a trade and was going to sell it but this was so accurate using 50 gr Fiocchi VMAX I may just keep it but need to remediate the trigger issue.
    Thanks, Ken

Try a drop of nail polish on the screw/spring after setting, that will keep it from moving, and remember to pull straight back on trigger.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Straight back on the trigger should do the trick. It is what you want to do anyway for precision shooting. If you have the red trigger, make sure you download instruction manual for the rifle if you didn't get it from the seller. The adjustment screw works differently than the regular Accutrigger. You can get it down to 6 oz. if all is set correctly. A shooting pal has the lock up issue (I have shot his rifle with a straight back pull and he cannot get it below 12 oz. without lockup but doesn't want to send it back to Savage.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys, I'll download the manual and follow the instructions.
    Ken

bodywerks
    Replace it with a sharpshooter supply comp trigger. Problem solved.
    If you're dead set on the accutrigger, you need to make sure the trigger moves freely on it's pin and that there is no grease on the sear catch and that the sear sporting is in good condition/strong.
    But the sss comp trigger is a FAR superior option.

That's because the 'pull' is too low
    2 options :
    1. Increase the trigger pull a few oz
    2. Handle the bolt really soft & smooth

Have the same problem with my 12 LRP
    But running it soft & smooth does the trick for me
    In F-Class you got time enough
    If you are talking about PRS . . . I would go nuts !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
    Replace it with a sharpshooter supply comp trigger. Problem solved.
    If you're dead set on the accutrigger, you need to make sure the trigger moves freely on it's pin and that there is no grease on the sear catch and that the sear sporting is in good condition/strong.
    But the sss comp trigger is a FAR superior option.
    I have shot a lot of triggers, I think the Acu Trigger is as good as any of them (keeping in mind we all are different)

I think its vastly worth a small amount of work to get it right vs a minimum of $102 on a new trigger.

Mine has hiccupped a time or two but its a non issue, reset the bolt and good to go.

Frankly I am tickled that my project gun came together with 4 elements I wanted in the donor so I did not have to buy those parts. Acu trigger was one of them.

I love my Accutrigger on my Savage

But on my new custom build rifle it will be a 2 stage Huber Concept 🖒

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I have shot a lot of triggers, I think the Acu Trigger is as good as any of them (keeping in mind we all are different)

I think its vastly worth a small amount of work to get it right vs a minimum of $102 on a new trigger.

Mine has hiccupped a time or two but its a non issue, reset the bolt and good to go.

Frankly I am tickled that my project gun came together with 4 elements I wanted in the donor so I did not have to buy those parts. Acu trigger was one of them.
    Of all the trigger you've tried have you actually tried the SSS comp trigger? IMO, the accutrigger doesn't hold a candle to it. I have mine set at 18 ounces with zero creep and ZERO, repeat ZERO failures. Whereas every accutrigger I've run, and it's been at least a half dozen so far, has had this exact issue. The only time I ever kept the accutrigger was on a hunting rifle, and I had to max out the trigger pull and put a stronger sear return spring on it to keep it reliable.
    The sss comp is in a class all its own when compared to all aftermarket savage triggers, especially rifle basix.

Of all the trigger you've tried have you actually tried the SSS comp trigger? IMO, the accutrigger doesn't hold a candle to it. I have mine set at 18 ounces with zero creep and ZERO, repeat ZERO failures. Whereas every accutrigger I've run, and it's been at least a half dozen so far, has had this exact issue. The only time I ever kept the accutrigger was on a hunting rifle, and I had to max out the trigger pull and put a stronger sear return spring on it to keep it reliable.
    The sss comp is in a class all its own when compared to all aftermarket savage triggers, especially rifle basix.
    Yes apparently the SSS is a real nice trigger compared to the Accutrigger.

But gonna start shooting PRS in season 2017 and my new custom build rifle - using a bigHorn TL3 action - I am going with the Huber Concept trigger

Last edited by Kingair001; 06-30-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Banned
    I think its how you both use and perceive it.

If I was hunting with it, I would set it to max. Its not like I would be trying to pick the tip of a Caribou or Moose horn off at 400 yds.

I hunted with a M77 trigger when I was doing it, never missed anything because of the trigger.

While I can find the 100 if I need it, for the bench rest and my capabilities, set down to 1.5, it was, ok, this is good. A bit too sensitive for me at times but mostly good.

For the most part I suspect that is good for almost anyone, still can get the target setup for less though its purely bench rest at that point.

It beats the daylights out of the Rem 700 trigger, as good as the Timney or the Jewel my brother replaced it with on his gun.

I forget all the triggers he has had on various guns, the acu is as good as they are and at no extra cost. Not bad I think.

Others may be better but I doubt I would know it anyway. Someone said something about the 80% is good enough and that's true for me in this case.

Nothing wrong with a 2 lbs trigger

But my Accutrigger is set on the min so only a few oz

Banned
    At least right now that is way to little for me. The 1.5 lb from the low end of the varmint trigger spring range is my limit. It may change of course, but for now I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    At least right now that is way to little for me. The 1.5 lb from the low end of the varmint trigger spring range is my limit. It may change of course, but for now I like it.
    I choose the really low setting since it is for shooting F-Class and than it's perfect !

Last edited by Kingair001; 07-01-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Team Savage
    If the problem persist after increasing trigger pull, check to make sure the rear of the Accutrigger is not contacting the stock just above the rear trigger guard screw. That will also cause the problem.

bodywerks
    Your new custom rifle must not be a savage because Huber doesn't make savage triggers. But they're good stuff.
    On my only non savage custom build (on a TAC 338 action)i used a jewell trigger. It was better still over the SSS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    I love my Accutrigger on my Savage

But on my new custom build rifle it will be a 2 stage Huber Concept 🖒

Your new custom rifle must not be a savage because Huber doesn't make savage triggers. But they're good stuff.
    On my only non savage custom build (on a TAC 338 action)i used a jewell trigger. It was better still over the SSS...
    Correct!
    It's a BigHorn TL3 action I will use.
    Will have one of the first out on the market of the production models🖒

A few where already being tested in the field

Actually Scott DeCapio won the Silencerco PRS match last week shooting a BigHornTL3 action

Last edited by Kingair001; 07-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.