Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bench Rest Shooting

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    First off you have to remember that that book was written in 1989, even though the book is dated it is one of the best books out there. Back in 1989 there was no Sharp Shooters Supply,(Fred was working on Remington's back then) there was no good triggers, and all the thing we have for Savages today. Even today BR shooters look down on Savages, one they don't know what is available for them, and two they have never tried to build one. The fact is no one has ever one a registered match with a Savage.

My advise is going to sound anti-savage; In short range benchrest a Savage is a great gun to build up, and will hang with the custom action if done right, but when it come to cost you are better off building a custom action gun.

PA is what I would call the birth place of benchrest, I shoot with some of the old timers that use to shoot 1000 yard match's in PA back in the mid 1960's and it is amazing looking at their equipment from back then. Boy things have changed. There are some dang good shooters from over that way. Your FTR would be an OK choice for a long range match, I would not try it in short range.
    Why not ask to have a class for Savages ONLY...Shoot what you got. The club should be glad to see you. If not try another club..

82boy
    I highly doubt any club is going to have a Savage only class. The only way it would happen is if they had a LARGE number of shooters that was shooting Savage rifles. A Factory class, that alows people to bring what they got just makes more sense.

Basic Member
    I know this has been beat on the brush and I am late in the discussion. I a few years back I shot several matches at Denton range in club matches. All 100/200 yard. We shoot score in the morning and group in the afternoons. I had the pleasure of shooting with a few of the top shooters in the country. It is the home range for several that had qualified and shot on the USA Benchrest team at the Worldbench Championship. Most recent this included Dr. Tim Oltersdorf and Ralph Stewart. They all welcomed me and my target action 30BR. I asked questions at every match. I would shoot a few clean targets and then the unexplained flyer always showed up. I got 249 - 17X and 249-15X as my top scores. Never shot clean. This is a range on which half of the shooters in score are clean and if you don't have +15x you aren't in the top ten. I learned a lot. I have since added Fred's Evolution trigger and switched to a 45X Leupold from a T36. I really want to make my Savage shoot clean just once.

I asked questions about every rig I saw. I think the biggest drawback to the Savage design is the lack of a trigger hanger to allow you to glue in a stock. I am fairly convinced that can lead to the occasional flyer. There is a reason all the BR shooters switched to only glue in rigs.

Fred - put a trigger hanger on your Evolution trigger and I'll by one!

Luck, Tim

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny68 View Post
    I asked questions about every rig I saw. I think the biggest drawback to the Savage design is the lack of a trigger hanger to allow you to glue in a stock. I am fairly convinced that can lead to the occasional flyer. There is a reason all the BR shooters switched to only glue in rigs.
    Not every BR shooter shoots a Glue in rig. The main reson why BR shooters use glue in , is because it saves on weight, and it is a cheap and easy way to get the job done. (Some may call it cheap and dirty.) The biggest problem with glue in actions, is WHEN they do break loose, you might not know that it happened and it will give you a bad day. Some shooters have done what is called a "glue and screw" set up where they pillar bed the action and then glue it in. Some say it is better, some dont.

A rifle that is PROPERLY beded will shoot on par with any like rifle that is glued in. There is an great artilce in the precision shooting benchrest primer where a questionair was sent out to the top benchrest gunsmith in the USA asking a simple questions, "wich is better glue in or bedded?" Many of these gunsmiths stated that a properly bedded rifle worked just as good if not better than a glue in. From the article Ron Hoehn (Hall of fame member and one of the top BR shooters in the country.) stated " I personally prefer bedded rifles over glue-ins. Not that they shoot any better, but if done properly, they are every bit as good as a glue-in without the drawbacks." Throught my journeys in shooting benchrest I have talked to a lot of people and some swere by glue ins, and many say it dont make a difference.

As far as a savage not being able to compete with that is a load of garbage. If you need proof check out the following links.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Eastern-Finale!!

http://issuu.com/precisionrifleman/docs/547637_mag1of1

Fred Finished 3rd place in Light Varmint 200 yards, and heavy Varmint 100 yards, on one of the most challanging shooting days This was a Sanctioned NBRSA match. Fred also shot small group of the day. All of this was done with a Savage target action pillar bedded in a tom meridith stock, the gun also has aa barrel nut. In this field of shooters was 2 hall of fame members, (Both competing on the USA world Benchrest team.) Several other shooters that are close to bing in the hall of fame, or should be, and a host of others that are some of the top shooters around. I remember Joe Krupa (Hall of fame member, Past NBRSA president.) was just blown away by how this Savage shot, he even made mention to lowel Hottenstine (Legendary Benchrest shooter, and top BR bullet maker.) how he could not believe this gun shot. Lowel, told Joe, it doesn't suprise him one bit, Lowel said that it is basicly like a blue printed Remington, and they shot every bit as good as these new rifles. He further said the only reason why they whent to the custom actions was because at the time it was much cheaper than buying a Remington and having the work done to it, not that they shot any better.

Basic Member
    I totally agree that glue and screw is the best choice. A perfectly bedded rifle could probably match what that of a glued and screwed rifle - I will not argue that. Problem is that most people can't get/afford Tom Meredith to set up their stock for them. I have seen Fred's results. Hats off to him. However, that was one match. I hope Fred can continue his efforts in BR. If he wins a major match, people (BR shooters) will finally have to give the Savage the respect it deserves.

I will continue my BR efforts with my rifle that Fred bedded as time allows. Unfortunately, kiddos are more important to me right now than BR so it is on the back burner.

The collective opinions of those I asked who shoot competitive BR was that the stock/bedding was likely cause of my flyers on my rig. If I didn't believe that the Savage was capable I would have sold it and have a Panda or Viper already. And are some that told me I was wasting my time with a Savage.

I am fairly convinced that the only thing that separates 1st - 10th place in a major BR match is the driver. Newbies get lucky some times, but the same names seem to populate the winners list a whole bunch. These are the guys that can pick up the conditions and adjust for them.

Just my 2 cents, Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123