Thread: .270 patch size?

mchef

.270 patch size?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what size patch should be used for a .270? I had great difficulty trying to push a try patch through a model 116 for a first time cleaning. They were getting stuck and I kept cutting smaller patches. I was down to about 1" x 1" and ended up pushing a hole through the patch. I am a first time gun owner, so any advice is welcome.

82boy

Re: .270 patch size?

Are you pushing a dry patch? If so why? What are you putting on the patch? A 270 should use a 1 1/2 patchs.

hailstone

Are you sure your using the correct 270 jag and not a 7mm jag? From you description it sound like there's not enough clearance between the jag with patch and bore wall.

mchef

Yes it is definitely a .270 jag. Patches were bulk pack from walmart that you cut to size. Bag says 1.5" square for .243 - 7mm. Purpose of dry patching was to clean out any factory oil, dirt, etc. It came out clean, so I'm thinking I'm good to go for sighting in. Cleaning supplies are bore tech rod and jag. For cleaning chemicals, I've got bore tech eliminator and clp. Is there a certain way to jag the patch - dead center or off center of patch? I didn't think it should be that hard to push the patch and didn't want to get anything stuck on the barrel.

hailstone

The jag is what you put the patches on and use too push them through the barrel. 270 jag will be around .225" diameter while the 7mm will be .235" diameter. Bear in mind that these are rough measurements as each maker has there own specs. Bore diameter for 270 is .277" while 7mm is .284". Unless your patches are exceptionally thick then it has too be wrong diameter jag. Items have been incorrectly packaged and marked by manufacturers so even if its new still could be wrong. You'll need a caliper to measure you jags diameter. Most gun stores should have one especially if they sell reloading equipment. Automotive parts supply stores will also have calipers. There's no need to buy one unless you want one for your own use. Don't let some gun store clerk tell you it doesn't make any difference because it does. I've seen multiple caliber jags which work so so but best results come from caliber specific jags.

82boy

Wet the patch before pushing them through. When I fist clean the first and second patch will be wet and off center. Patch get grabby when the bore is dirty. The first couple of patch need to be wet or they will stick in the bore. I would not use CLP in the bore, out of the two I would use the bore tech eliminator, I would say both chemicals are grabby in the bore. At the range I can tell when someone is using bore tech because the brush, or patch sings as it goes down the bore. You may want to try a solvent like Shooters Choice, Or Butches.

You may have to modify your Jag, I have had to do this a few times. Chuck it in a drill and turn it on and run 400 grit sand paper over it and work down to 2000 grit. It seams like some jags are just too big. I then will re-cut the groves or checkering with a small file.

longpoker

You can also try a .264 jag with a small patch,it will be hard to push through however,the smaller patches will work. Try 1"round type or .243 patches. I have been using Gunslick Foam Bore cleaner and their Copper Klenz,They work well. Patch Out also is real good.

Good luck.