Thread: Fixed sights question

AntarcticChamp

Fixed sights question

Anybody ever successfully reinstall a barrel with fixed sights? I'd really like to have a 375 ruger 280 rem or 7mm mag pair with the 375 having fixed sights. Is this possible?

You can install the barrel fine, but there's a 1 in 360 chance the sights will line up lol. The sights are put on the barrel after its installed at the factory.
    Scooter

AntarcticChamp
    That's exactly the answer I'm looking for. U d hoped that the headspacing would necessitate proper alignment but I guess not

Basic Member
    It seems to me that you could machine a clamping base for a front sight that sits low enough to be used and use a receiver mounted rear peep. It would be a pain to readjust it every time but after that you'd be golden.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Actually the odds are better than 1-360 due to the tolerance stacking that can happen and the fact that head space is not exact (as in there is a range to play with and still be in spec).
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I have contemplated what Anschutz said. That would be expensive unless you have the ability to do all of the machining. I would think the front sight could easily be done with a clamp on ring with a simple post. Several options for a rear peep or target sight.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have contemplated what Anschutz said. That would be expensive unless you have the ability to do all of the machining. I would think the front sight could easily be done with a clamp on ring with a simple post. Several options for a rear peep or target sight.
    This is true. Expensive for sure. You would also have the option to turn it upside down to stay out of the way of a scope.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk