Thread: Savage 10 p-sr 308 18-inch hvy swap to 6.5cm

Savage 10 p-sr 308 18-inch hvy swap to 6.5cm

Hey guys,

New to the forum, great info to be had in here! I got the itch for a 6.5CM and was thinking, why not swap the .308 instead of dropping the coin on a new rig. I just shot my first long distance match last month and I caught all kinds of bugs! Ended up with a new B&C stock and a Sig Kilo2000 plus doodads.

Don't get me wrong, my 308 is a great shooter. Getting 1/2" out of 168 SMK's and 3/4" 178 Amax at 100yds. Can consistantly put hits on steel out to 975yds. I just can't leave things alone sometimes.........

I mainly use it for playing at the range and hunting, don't know if I'll have the time to get into the match game (too many other hobbies). I just cannot justify dropping $1500+ on a new rig to scratch an itch for playing, or just don't want to. Last itch I scratched I ended up with a JP Enterprises 6.5 Grendel. So just another reason to swap instead of buy/build a new #3 LR toy.

So, I will be running suppressed and was thinking 22" barrel. Got a new Omega coming so the can will be approx 6". I still would like it to be compact enough to comfortably hunt with but yield good results on the long range. From what I read I'll need a wrench, new barrel nut and lug and a go/no go gauge (and barrel of course). What flavor barrel do most use for this application. I don't mind springing for a $350 barrel, heck I may even have it fluted to pimp it out.

Here she is:

Basic Member
    There's so many great barrels to choose from in the ~$300 price range. Mcgowen, Douglas, Shilen, X-Caliber, CBI are all popular on this forum. I'm sure to have missed a few. All will perform. I'm currently using a 260 in CBI and a 308 from Douglas. Both are great shooters. I've never shot out a barrel, so I can't tell you the longevity of the barrel. Pick one and go with it.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Bugholes has bartlein and Kraiger

SSS has brux

Vanilla Gorilla
    I converted my savage .308 to a 6.5 Creedmoor and used a Criterion 28" bull barrel as well as NSS recoil lug, barrel nut, barrel nut wrench, and action wrench. I would def recommend buying from Jim at NSS but this is just my opinion. There are a ton of great barrels out there and you just need to decide which one is right for you.

I picked-up a heavy stainless Shaw barrel in 6.5 C From GunShack for $199
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Banned
    For what I do I would go with X-Caliber (I do have a Shilen on the way as well and it will be interesting between the two).

Shilen does have a higher graded available, forget what they call it, super match or ?

One guy wrote in that Criterion offered to take a barrel back that was only shooting 3/4 MOA. Pretty decent.

Others iffier and while I understand it, customer service is a part of it as well.