Thread: Elk Hunting Build

Basic Member

Elk Hunting Build

So this will be my first build ever so there is a lot of dumb questions floating around in my head but I was hoping to maybe get some advice from some of the experienced builders on here. I'm a lefty wanting to build a 300 win mag in either all stainless or I will cerakote a blued action/barrel. I'm kinda confused on the different actions and the stocks that will work with them. I would really like a synthetic stock that would require little to no work for fitment to the action and magazine. I'd like to stay within a $1500 budget for the gun not including the rings and scope. If anyone has any advice on where to start or if this is possible please feel free to say whatever you want. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!
    Let's see..there are staggerfeed, and center feed actions. Long and short actions. You'll need a long action for a 300wm build, and if you were to find a 30-06, 270 etc, you can always change the bolt face to a magnum bolt face for the 300. You can probably find a used one and build from it(that's how I do most of mine).
    Actually you could buy exactly what you're wanting unless you're just wanting to build. 😆
    Barrels are available from several of our sponsors here, stocks as well. I know there's several more questions you have, but this will hopefully get things started for now.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Banned
    It is worth picking a setup and asking Savage for it. I gather they will mix and match amongst their standard options (and correct me if I am wrong anyone)

That said, one thing you do want to be aware of for a used donner and that is the trigger. Having shot the acu trigger I would not want anything else (it can't be retrofitted)

If you are good for a hunting rifle with standard trigger then no worries, but if you want a good trigger, the doner has to have it or you will need to add in buying an aftermarket. Something around $100.

I was able to get what I wanted in a donner with the acu trigger and the segmented nut (a lot of new rifles are coming with the smooth nut)

If you want to build yourself there is maybe $120 in basic tools, I had the specialty tools (torque wrench and breaker bar) though there are others that do fine without those.

Basic Member
    I found a brand new stainless 300 mag at the local gun shop with a sporter barrel, accutrigger, and accustock for $750. Really the only thing I want is the action so I can upgrade the barrel and stock. My question is if I bought that gun what would the accustock and stainless barrel be worth? I just don't want to spend that much on a new gun and have to eat the extra just so I can get an action.

Cabelas has the 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP on sale for Fathers Day at $599. They only list one SKU so I'm not sure if the lefty is available for that price. Stainless/synthetic w/accutrigger and DBM, 3-9 Nikon scope included.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Bimart in Oregon sells the trophy Hunter xp combo with Nikon scope all day long for $449, if you watch the sales you can get em arround $400 plus savage rebates. That's what I do, sell all the stuff off it and you got an action, bolt and magazine for less than $200, put the stock and barrel you want in it and your in it $600-$900 (depending on what stock and barrel)for a very nice custom rifle
    Last edited by Londerko; 06-07-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Action: < $400
    Barrel: < $350
    Recoil Lug < 40
    Stockade: < $400
    SSS T&T: < $180
    SSS Trig. < $105

1475.00 Cha- ching

$25 left over for some Micro Brew, or use it to buy a SSS bolt handle for < $55
    Last edited by Robinhood; 06-07-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    My mom likes the beer, me, give me a good ice cream cone and I am in! (now beer with Piza, Mexican Food and Chinese is a different story!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I found a brand new stainless 300 mag at the local gun shop with a sporter barrel, accutrigger, and accustock for $750. Really the only thing I want is the action so I can upgrade the barrel and stock. My question is if I bought that gun what would the accustock and stainless barrel be worth? I just don't want to spend that much on a new gun and have to eat the extra just so I can get an action.

If you want the fun of building it yourself then that's an option.

I suspect you could get one from Savage for something in that range.

They have quite a variety of 300 WM chassis to choose from. The higher you go the more features you get.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    If you want the fun of building it yourself then that's an option.

I suspect you could get one from Savage for something in that range.

They have quite a variety of 300 WM chassis to choose from. The higher you go the more features you get.
    The problem is being left handed my options are extremely limited.

SSS can convert a right hand action to a left hand action. Do not know the total cost to get it in operation though.

Basic Member
    I can get a 111 xp package for $550 in left hand. What I'm kinda confused about is the magazine and trigger guard. Would all of that be able to go onto let's say a McMillan stock?

If that is what you request. McMillan seems to be limited on long action stocks. I have both and I honestly think you would be happier with a hunting stock from Stockade or a Manners. Ask around about the quality and value of a what Kevin produces. In the end it's your money.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If that is what you request. McMillan seems to be limited on long action stocks. I have both and I honestly think you would be happier with a hunting stock from Stockade or a Manners. Ask around about the quality and value of a what Kevin produces. In the end it's your money.
    Thanks for the info! I would rather save money but still have quality so I will check those out.

If you're cerakoting you don't need the stainless. Finding a used blue LH action shouldn't be that hard,accutrigger or not. Did you check with Northland? Look on Guns America for LH Savage.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    If you're cerakoting you don't need the stainless. Finding a used blue LH action shouldn't be that hard,accutrigger or not. Did you check with Northland?
    Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards cerakoting a blued action just because there's more out there. Yes I talked to James at northland, he said it will be pretty hard to find a savage lefty but he might be able to find a Remington. That's when I was leaning more towards stainless though. I may have to give him another call.

Basic Member
    I converted my trophy Hunter Xp from a plastic trigger guard and BDM to a blind mag with a metal trigger guard.
    I've herd good things about stockade too, prices are very reasonable for what you get, but I've been waiting 27 weeks for my mule deer stock from them. So if you go that route prepare to wait a while. Sure hope it was worth the wait when it shows up.

Banned
    I spent some time looking for my build action and could not come up with anything that was reasonable that had acu trigger and a decent stock.

Finally found a used (just fine with that) 111 BTH at Cabellas. I know the BTH is not a bench rest class stock but good enough for what I am doing and I do like it a lot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Londerko View Post
    I converted my trophy Hunter Xp from a plastic trigger guard and BDM to a blind mag with a metal trigger guard.
    I've herd good things about stockade too, prices are very reasonable for what you get, but I've been waiting 27 weeks for my mule deer stock from them. So if you go that route prepare to wait a while. Sure hope it was worth the wait when it shows up.
    This may be a dumb question but what extra parts did you need to buy to convert to a blind magazine?

Believe that Shaw rifles are still being produced. You might want to take a look at their webpage.

Basic Member
    Does anyone know if the 111 Xp package with the box mag is center feed or stagger feed?

I would think DBM is center feed.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

All recent manufacture Savage rifles that aren't single shots will be centerfeed. The only thing needed to convert from Savage DBM to blind magazine is the l-clip that holds the magazine in the stock.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Since this is my first build I'm unsure which route to go. I can stick with the factory dbm or convert to blind magazine. What would be yalls suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I can stick with the factory dbm or convert to blind magazine. What would be yalls suggestions?
    I like the DBM but it ads weight. The blind mag needs the bolt to be cycled to remove ammunition. For some that is a safety issue.