Thread: Random washer, where does it go in my FCP-10 SR?

arekeon27

Random washer, where does it go in my FCP-10 SR?

I hate starting off a thread with that title but I need the collective wisdom of the forum as this part is not in the manual. Savage recently sent me a new stock because one of the swivel studs on my FCP-10 SR was crooked.

I had to remove the frame assembly and trigger guard and apply them to the new stock that was sent. I noticed that this tiny washer came out during removal and I'm not sure where it is supposed to go:

I called Savage and they said it "most likely" goes between the frame assembly and trigger guard (frame assembly in, then washer, then trigger guard over that) on the rear action screw. That makes sense since I never saw this washer until I removed the trigger guard and frame assembly (I have separated the stock and action/barrel before to clean). However they said it could also be on the front action screw.

I don't like "most likely" when dealing with firearms so I was curious if anyone could confirm? Would placing this washer incorrectly (rear vs front action screw) negatively affect accuracy?

Thanks

That looks like the washer that goes under the front action screw. At least on my 116 accustock. I had no washer on the rear action screw.

Banned
    It's inconsequential. That type of washer is to take up space in a concave hole. That's all! It's not going to cause your rifle to blow up, fall apart or be any less accurate if not installed.

Very easy to locate though. Of the screws you removed, locate which one(s) fit the hole. Then look at the spaces where the screw(s) go, and locate a space that is concave (counterbored).

Basic Member
    That's actually a shim. Sometimes they are used to get the correct stand off between the magazine frame and the receiver. Sometimes the manufacturing tolerances between OEM and aftermarket are slightly off, and it takes a little more space between the 2 to get the magazine to latch properly. That shim was most probably between the mag frame and the stock on the front screw. If your mags don't latch in all the way, you'll know why.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

My FCP K model 10 has that washer in the frt action bolt
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Dereq
    10 FCP SR owner here. I can confirm that locking washer goes with the rear trigger guard screw that screws into the plastic stock. I haven't had to even use that screw since I forgot to put it in the last time I removed the barreled action from the stock. That's also the only washer I'm aware of on the 10 FCP SR model.

edit: also no effect on accuracy unless your trigger guard is loose, which I doubt if the rear action screw is properly torqued.

arekeon27
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad to hear there is consensus that this piece won't decrease accuracy or damage/blow up my rifle.

It's inconsequential. That type of washer is to take up space in a concave hole. That's all! It's not going to cause your rifle to blow up, fall apart or be any less accurate if not installed.

Very easy to locate though. Of the screws you removed, locate which one(s) fit the hole. Then look at the spaces where the screw(s) go, and locate a space that is concave (counterbored)
    Gotcha. The only concave/counterbored holes I see are on the rear or front action screws and the trigger guard screws on the outside. I don't think they'd be on the actions screws since I would have noticed this piece when I removed them previously. But on this rifle there is no concave holes between the action, frame assembly, and stock.

That's actually a shim. Sometimes they are used to get the correct stand off between the magazine frame and the receiver. Sometimes the manufacturing tolerances between OEM and aftermarket are slightly off, and it takes a little more space between the 2 to get the magazine to latch properly. That shim was most probably between the mag frame and the stock on the front screw. If your mags don't latch in all the way, you'll know why.
    I haven't had any magazine latching issues. I could put this piece between the stock and the frame assembly on the front action screw (the rear action screw has a hole that's too big between these two pieces and it will rattle around so it doesn't make sense there).

I was cycling the bolt with dummy rounds and I noticed that my 3-round mag had issues when loaded with more than one round if I seated the first round all the way to back of the mag, loaded it in the bottom with a closed bolt with the trigger pulled. The first round seems to get stuck when I cycle and it takes a lot of strength to push it into the chamber (often it won't enter the chamber properly). My ten round mag works fine and the 3-round mag works with only one round in the magazine.

Strange, but I'm thinking this is more likely a magazine issue with my three rounder that's coming up. Unless you think it could be this shim improperly placed (the mags latch fine with the shim off or placed throughout the rifle)?

I will probably reinstall the old stock and try cycling the bolts. Then place the shim in different areas and keep trying (and do the same with the new stock). If I have cycling issues with the 3-rounder on that first round in all cases I can conclude its a magazine issue.

10 FCP SR owner here. I can confirm that locking washer goes with the rear trigger guard screw that screws into the plastic stock. I haven't had to even use that screw since I forgot to put it in the last time I removed the barreled action from the stock. That's also the only washer I'm aware of on the 10 FCP SR model.

edit: also no effect on accuracy unless your trigger guard is loose, which I doubt if the rear action screw is properly torqued.
    Thanks, I thought that might be the case looking at the rifle before since it is a concave hole and I never saw this screw previously.