Thread: About dang time!

Basic Member

About dang time!

Went out today and sat in a feedlot overlooking a large hay field,set up my call and started calling.

About after 5 minutes or so I see something down by the river about 500yards out, turned out to be a stray cat wondering around. Then I catch a glimpse of something closer trotting through the hay,get rifle on him and it was a small pup from this spring I suspect.

Hit my call a few times and he looked but was not interested at all,he just kept bouncing around for mice I suspect. I couldn't get a decent shot because of a few trees and a hilltop so I slid under the fence and made my way up to the hill that was in my way. By this time he was right around 400yrds. out still digging in the hay.

I got prone on my bipods held up 1mil and added 1/2mil for wind and let one go,he starts doing spins biting at his backside so I sent another with a tad more windage and lost sight of him. It took me about 20 minutes to find him laying in the hay,the first shot hit a tad high just ripping open the fur on the top of his back,second shot went in his neck and left a nice golfball sized hole on exit.

Felt like he might have weighed 20-25lbs. at the most.
    Rifle is and old staggerfeed 12bvss rebarreled into 22-250 shooting 55g midway polytip blems,look like accutips with 33g. of Tac.

phantom

Re: About dang time!

Nice shooting at that range and a wind . . Any kill is a good one at that range . .

Basic Member

Luckily we was busting pumpkin out about the same distance yesterday so I could still remember my holdover pretty close give me another week and I'll shoot right over or under one.

There has been a big yote up in the same area alot about 7:30a.m. he's been making his rounds. Last week my buddy and myself parked and walked about 30 yards when we saw him again in another hay field coming at us,he turned the other way so we hit some mouth calls and he came back about 100yards sat down and just looked at us after obviously busting us.

Took the shot at him at about 200yds. and missed. Hour later rezero'd rifle and it was off about 10" ??? I guess it don't like riding around in the truck all week too much.

Basic Member

Took out another one today. Went with a buddy who was gonna that was gonna wait on some deer and says he see's coyotes in his spot all the time. It took 30 minutes for this male to come in he got within about 40 feet of me and my call. Left him lay and called and another came in about 30 minutes after that one but was a miss and no follow up shot because I had an empty and a live round jam into the action.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/sgregory/20101204172757.jpg[/img]