Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage A22

Basic Member

Savage A22

well my new Rifle is on the way, should be here Thursday or Friday at my FFL
    anybody else have one yet?

Basic Member
    No Takers? any opinions? :) will have it tomorrow and see

c414gr
    Yep picked one up a couple of weeks ago other than a cheap stock it's a good shooter

Basic Member
    Darn ! I just typed up a reply and hit quick reply instead of post - its gone! So, I start over. About 3 weeks ago we bought an A22. I love the weapon except for the wobbly stock . I tried the A22 at 100 yards with 5 different ammo types. The best groups came with Hornady 30grain stuff, shoots into a dime , the A22 stuff was a disappointment though - shot into 1 1/2". But this was the 2nd best group. CCI, WIN, ARMSCORE shot into 2" or more. Like I said I love the rifle, just needs some stock work. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Boyds Featherweight thumbhole for mine in the near future :) have one on my A17 and really like it,

wish you get the Walnut in a thumbhole :) that would be sharp

Basic Member
    shot my new A22 yesterday to make sure it was ok, ran the A22 mag thru it twice, once slow and the second time as quick as I could pull it :) was not trying to sight anything yet, didn't have time just wanted to fire it. also took a A17 mag with me, they look exactly the same except the a17 says 17 HMr and the A22 says 22 WMR on the rear plate, the a17 mag had no trouble loaded with 22 mag ammo

Butler creek told me today the A17 25rd mag package should say for the A22 on it also

Basic Member
    Are you saying the a17 clip will fit the a22 weapon ? I had inquired to Savage a month ago and the said they are not the same.

Basic Member
    only difference I see is on the back metal plate the A17 says 17Hmr and the A22 says 22 WMR, I did not see any other difference
    I loaded the 17 Hmr mag with 22 WMR ammo and it fired fine in my A22 rifle

Prarie dog shooter
    I have sent mine back to savage for the second time for jamming , Mis- feeding, Mis-firing. Anybody else have these problems?

Basic Member
    I shot several boxes of different brand of ammo. No problems with my weapon.

Prarie dog shooter
    I was using Hornaday and Winchester ammo. So far savage seems to be trying their best to fix it before I head to wyoming .

Prarie dog shooter
    Just got my a22 back. Shot a mag of Hornaday and Winchester ammo. It worked well with only 1 round of Hornaday ammo not firing. That may have been a bad round.

Prarie dog shooter
    I'm headed to wyoming in a week so we will see how it does with shooting a lot of ammo all day.

Prarie dog shooter
    Well, I went to sight in my a22 that I just got back from savage for the 2nd time , and well..... Didn't go so good. Mis-fires, stove pipes, no feeds. Just all bad! I must have got the worst a22mag they made . I'm super upset! I'll be shipping this one back to them for the third time, and I don't want it back!

Prarie dog shooter
    Now that I've calmed down, my buddy has talked me into brushing out the bore really good and applying a healthy coat of rem oil. So I'm going to try it again today before I send it back. Hopefully after a good cleaning and oiling , it will start working the way it's supposed to.

Basic Member
    Don't be too hasty in sending it back. The first thing I did was lubricate the action with EWL oil, it can be found on e-bay.
    I have no problems with my A22.

Prarie dog shooter
    I guess I don't understand how I have sent it back twice , and when I get it back , I can't even get it to run 1 mag worth of ammo with out something messing up. Nothing in the action is consistent . It misfires , stove pipes, Mis- feeds, or just won't extract the empty casing when it does fire! I'm simply over it. I just want them to send me a bolt action or something. I just do not want this p.o.s. Back!
    On the other hand my a17 works well. ?

Prarie dog shooter
    I'm heading to wyoming in 5 days and it is headed to savage.

Hoghunter2
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat hunter View Post
    Don't be too hasty in sending it back. The first thing I did was lubricate the action with EWL oil, it can be found on e-bay.
    I have no problems with my A22.
    Just bought 1 too . Never been so disappointed in a new purchase in all my life . Did you ever get yours working properly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have had NO problems with my A22. First thing I did was lube the action with EWL oil and its been good to me. I can't say its the oil or I just have a good working gun but if it works, don't change it - right .

Hoghunter2
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat hunter View Post
    I have had NO problems with my A22. First thing I did was lube the action with EWL oil and its been good to me. I can't say its the oil or I just have a good working gun but if it works, don't change it - right .
    I'm having the same trouble prairie dog shooter had . I hope they will correct the problems.

Hoghunter2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter2 View Post
    I'm having the same trouble prairie dog shooter had . I hope they will correct the problems.

Do you know if A22 model is giving people a lot of problems?

Well that's a first, never seen someone quote themselves and then ask themselves a question.

Hoghunter2
    I've never tried an online forum before as you might have noticed . I thought just maybe I could get a little help . I quest I chose the wrong forum . So with my apologies, please equse my ignorance .

Wasn't poking fun Hoghunter, I just figured you maybe did it on accident when attempting to quote someone else's post.

As for getting help, as you can see from the limited number of posts in this board there hasn't been a ton of interest in the A17/A22's on this site. I pointed out the feeding issues I had in the two A17's Savage sent me to review a couple years ago, and based on my experience with them it seems to be magazine related. First rifle I got had a failure rate of 53% with the supplied magazine for the first 60 rounds. Savage then sent me three replacement magazines to try and they were better, but still had a 23% failure rate with them over the course of shooting 420 rounds of ammo - though many could possibly be due to shooting 100 rounds of the older/slower 17 HMR ammunition. Overall the rifle had a 27% failure rate over the course of 480 rounds.

After publishing that review Savage sent me a second A17 to review. This one proved to be 99.2% reliable. The only two failures were a failure to feed the last round from the magazine on two occasions which can likely be contributed to the follower spring being a little light.

In the end you've really already done the only thing you can, and that is contact Savage. More often than not they will want the rifle back as they want to see exactly what is going on so they can identify the problem and hopefully correct it in future production runs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast