Thread: Disappointing

Basic Member

Disappointing

So, I had the chance to shoot my new BTVSS 22 Mag today and had half of the rounds fail to fire. Tried both CCI and Winchester with the same results. Very disappointing to say the least. I've sent off a request for help to Savage Arms and am wondering if this is a common problem in their rimfire rifles. Will search more threads in the meantime.

Grrrrrrrr.

Basic Member
    I just caught this thread. I have(maybe had) a 93fss 22mag that is now on it's 4th trip to Savage. Well,actually first...the first three trips was on rifle no. 1, and Savage replaced it after the third trip. The replacement had the same issue, but not as frequent. It is now back at Savage--trip one. I started this saga in 2013. Oh, by the way. Fail to fire.
    Don't be afraid to write Savage and explain your problem. Have no idea why this problem happens on 22mag. Some times I can re chamber and it will fire and sometimes not. I can put a misfire from the 93 in my 22mag revolver, and it will fire every time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    I just caught this thread. I have(maybe had) a 93fss 22mag that has is now on it's 4th trip to Savage. Well,actually first...the first three trips was on rifle no. 1, and Savage replaced it after the third trip. The replacement had the same issue, but not as frequent. It is now back at Savage--trip one. I started this saga in 2013. Oh, by the way. Fail to fire.
    Don't be afraid to write Savage and explain your problem. Have no idea why this problem happens on 22mag. Some times I can re chamber and it will fire and sometimes not. I can put a misfire from the 93 in my 22mag revolver, and it will fire every time.
    Thanks for the confirmation WV. The Savage gunsmith that I went to definitely fixed my rifle. I hope yours will see the same result.
    Don't know why Savage does not get this right.

Basic Member
    What did he end up doing to repair?

Basic Member
    He completely disassembled the bolt and polished EVERY moving part and every slot and parts move in. He also made a bushing to compress the hammer spring a slight amount. And he found that the headspace was off so he removed the barrel from the action and reset that! He also took the trigger apart and polished the sear. (I had previously installed a Savage target spring). He worked on the rifle for three hours and did not charge me a cent!

Basic Member
    Update. I had contacted Savage by phone and email to ask for help and to complain about the misfires. When I told them that the gunsmith had repaired my rifle for free they offered to send me a spare magazine of my choice for the 22 mag. I thanked them and took the 10 round mag. In the end they cared enough to make up for it. I hope they improve the quality control at the factory.

A headspace that isn't correct can cushion the firing pin blow. The case rim must be tight on its seat.

Basic Member
    I just caught this thread. I have(maybe had) a 93fss 22mag that is now on it's 4th trip to Savage. Well,actually first...the first three trips was on rifle no. 1, and Savage replaced it after the third trip. The replacement had the same issue, but not as frequent. It is now back at Savage--trip one. I started this saga in 2013. Oh, by the way. Fail to fire.
    Got it back from Savage after two or three weeks. Not bad. I can't tell what they did from the return report, but I took it out the other day and didn't experience a single misfire. Used three different brands. So now I can sell it.

Basic Member
    Got it back from Savage after two or three weeks. Not bad. I can't tell what they did from the return report, but I took it out the other day and didn't experience a single misfire. Used three different brands. So now I can sell it.
    Why sell it now that it's fixed?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Why sell it now that it's fixed?
    Not that it makes a lot of difference to me. but many 22mags aren't renowned for accuracy. This is one of them. I bought it to replace an old H&R 22 Remington Jet rifle. Extremely rare, but was a scatter gun. Sure wish I didn't sell that Jet knowing what I know now about reloading, ballistics, etc. Oh. well.
    Anyway, I kinda got my eye on the new B17 HMR. Not many reviews yet, but I am hoping people like the new stock. Or just play with my 12FV and call it a day.