Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desert Trip II (Picture Heavy)

I've not tried those bullets yet. I was thinking about it my 6x55. I would guesstimate around 3200ish maybe. I need to really look into those! 😉
    I can't exactly tell your terrain from your pics ,but where I was shooting hilltop to hilltop it seemed to me, that the valleys and such make the wind crazy. Again I've only done this kinda distance twice so. It would be almost calm where I was shooting from and gusty like crazy at my target.
    Scooter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Thanks Scooter! By the end of next week I should have the 1k milk jug challenge video fully edited and in HD. I received a rough cut yesterday, but it isn't quite ready for posting.

So, the question is, how many shots do you think it took to hit a milk jug at 1k?
    I'll guess 2 lol based on your first post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    I'll guess 2 lol based on your first post
    Haha good call. My wind call was off by 1/10. Forgot about that!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGuns View Post
    In North Carolina it is hard to find enough open legal land big enough to shoot 500 yards on much less 1000. Most property that isnt farms is cultivated pine forest.
    There is a range that goes to 1000 but unless you live in the Raleigh it is a drive to get too. You used to be able to shoot in the Croatan National Forest but slobs and unsafe shooters have brought an end to that. Down here around MCAS Cherry Point the longest range is 500 yards.
    Fact is N C has an awfull lot of very good places where long range shooting can be done.
    Fact also is there must be the desire and initative to pursue it or it wont happen.
    Hawks Ridge rifle club in Ferguson N C is a very active 1000 yd club for example.
    Id be willing to bet many shooters living in that state aren't aware it even exists.

Basic Member
    Maybe it's because I'm a young buck, but neither Ferguson nor Hawk Ridge Rifle Club come up in google maps. Are you sure you have the right town yobuck?

Basic Member
    never mind. I found the website and location once I had the full address. There's still 2 ranges with that type of distance that are half the drive time away from where I'll be at.

Basic Member
    I'm glad you located it. I was afraid I was gonna have to actually come and take you there lol.
    You guys are obviously very good shooters. But your lacking badly in a very important area.
    That being the optics your spotter is using. The shooter will do as well as the spotter can direct him.
    And he isn't directing you as well as he might. But you already know that.

Basic Member
    I spot my own shots shooting the 6mm. Even at 100yds I can normally see my impacts unless the shooting position is very unforgiving. You'll verify exactly what your referencing when I get the video posted. However, likely I said earlier, I mostly shoot these distances to make normal shots within 800yds feel much easier!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I spot my own shots shooting the 6mm. Even at 100yds I can normally see my impacts unless the shooting position is very unforgiving. You'll verify exactly what your referencing when I get the video posted. However, likely I said earlier, I mostly shoot these distances to make normal shots within 800yds feel much easier!
    Well allow me to back up a bit and say conditions at your shooting location will affect what I said, and also your ability to see hits as you can.
    You wont be seeing any dust fly on the impact in the east for the most part. You will see the actual impact or see nothing.
    At places like Hawks Ridge, Ridgeway, Williamsport etc, you might see some dust when hitting the berms behind the targets with dry conditions.
    But normaly you wont be seeing dust so be prepared for that difference. Also the air quality as for moisture content is much higher.
    So your looking thru a fishbowl so to speak and that has an affect also. I think you might find a spotter being a necessity more often than you did in the west.

Basic Member
    That's true and some specifics we don't always think about with different shooting locations.

Basic Member
    Here is the final video. I think it turned out pretty well. Wish we would have gotten the set up and everything before I took that first shot, but we would have ran out of camera memory on the phone looking through the spotter.

Just watched your video LW.. nice shooting and congrats!
    When I shot a couple weeks ago, I had 2 hits on milk jugs at 977 with my 6br and 105gr amax. One jug blew up and the other was just a bullet pass thru like yours. To be honest I was a little suprised at the blow up on the first one. I'm not carrying much energy that far out.
    If you shoot milk jugs often what kinda performance do you usually get that far out?
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Performance as far as energy transfer?

Yes sir

Basic Member
    Considering I recovered a jacket that had fully opened at 1500fps I would think if it was a little bit thicker it would have had a better effect.

Basic Member
    Data shows about 620ftlbs of energy left.

Gotcha, off the top of my head I think I was in 400ft/lbs range. I didn't recover anything at 977, only recovered part of one at 560ish. It was only part of the jacket. It really interests me finding what the pieces look like especially at longer ranges....
    Scooter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12