Hi all,
I've been wanting to get into precision shooting for a while but I wasn't having a good time shooting my Ruger 10/22. Sold it and bought a MkII BTV w/ the factory scope the next day, and got to shoot it the first time on the 4th of July. Cleaned and oiled the gun the night before as well as tightened the scope bases down while adding blue loctite to one screw on each base, and had a great time shooting, producing very impressive (to me) groups since it was the first time out with the gun, and I was just getting into the more precise aspect of shooting (long time bird hunter).

I've since changed scopes to something I had kicking around, and am VERY unimpressed and annoyed, so now I have some decisions to make. I'm looking to make the gun as accurate as possible, so the only real variable is myself. I'd like to shoot knowing the gun is accurate, and I just need more practice.

I'm already looking at picking up a Mueller 8.5-25x44AO scope, but after doing some research and asking a few people, I can't simply mount the Mueller using the factory hardware that attached the Bushnell to the gun. I think I've narrowed my options to adding a new, higher 1-piece mount and using high rings, or just finding a set of extra high rings. If I have more options, please, do tell.

Also, I have no idea how mildots work, but I'm working on reading up on that. What else can be done to the gun itself to optimize performance? I've heard of bedding the barrel or bedding the action, but have no idea what either means or does. A lot of people suggest adjusting the Accutrigger as well as removing and reinstalling the action and torquing it down properly (though I don't have something that will measure in inch lbs.).

I'm sorry if this information is abundant, and I'm still spending a lot of time reading, but I'm VERY new to this whole scene and looking to learn, learn, learn!

Any and all help is appreciated!