Thread: got issues.

Basic Member

got issues.

ive owned an axis 2 HB 223rem for a year this month and always had extraction issues with it not ejecting a case. I cleaned the bolt, etc and still issues hear and there.

I began reloading for it and last week had no issues with my loads but today I have a couple that wouldn't fire and when I attempted to eject them I couldn't get the bolt to budge. once I got it to budge I had rifling marks on the bullets and they got seated deeper. upon having 4 misfires I pulled the bolt to find that the extractor plate was moved higher and not flush with the bolt lugs. I moved it down with my finger and it popped off taking the ball bearing with it.

I was fuming. could this be the issue the whole time with not ejecting? mine and a buddies theory is the plate was too high thus pushing the case further into the barrel and contacting the lans.

could this cause an issue with the throat or any other part of the barrel?

Ill be calling savage tomorrow and let them know the issue. according to my buddy whos an amature gun smith that plate shouldn't move freely.

If the bullets are getting rifling marks your COAL is too long.The extractor may have gotten bent if you were hammering rearward on the bolt to get it to extract. If you have extraction issues with a fired case it is one thing but if it is on an unfired case it is something else.

You may also want to find a real gunsmith to get information from, the extractor has to slide outward to go over the rim, then the detent ball and spring push it back onto the rim so it can pull the case out when you pull the bolt back.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If the bullets are getting rifling marks your COAL is too long.The extractor may have gotten bent if you were hammering rearward on the bolt to get it to extract. If you have extraction issues with a fired case it is one thing but if it is on an unfired case it is something else.

You may also want to find a real gunsmith to get information from, the extractor has to slide outward to go over the rim, then the detent ball and spring push it back onto the rim so it can pull the case out when you pull the bolt back.
    in the beginning I had issues with live rounds and empty cases getting stuck. it goes and comes. some days it wont open and some it will open. last night out of 10 rounds 2 actually ejected out of the chamber and the rest stayed in the barrel or on the magazine. the extractor plate was really high as if it would hinder a case going into the bolt cavity.

Because I don't know what you mean by "high", pull your bolt out and take a picture of your bolt head. Upload it to a picture storage site and then post it here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Because I don't know what you mean by "high", pull your bolt out and take a picture of your bolt head. Upload it to a picture storage site and then post it here.
    its not on the bolt anymore. being loose and me pressing on it it popped off into the grass.

MoToad
    Quote Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
    ive owned an axis 2 HB 223rem for a year this month and always had extraction issues with it not ejecting a case. I cleaned the bolt, etc and still issues hear and there.

I began reloading for it and last week had no issues with my loads but today I have a couple that wouldn't fire and when I attempted to eject them I couldn't get the bolt to budge. once I got it to budge I had rifling marks on the bullets and they got seated deeper. upon having 4 misfires I pulled the bolt to find that the extractor plate was moved higher and not flush with the bolt lugs. I moved it down with my finger and it popped off taking the ball bearing with it.

I was fuming. could this be the issue the whole time with not ejecting? mine and a buddies theory is the plate was too high thus pushing the case further into the barrel and contacting the lans.

could this cause an issue with the throat or any other part of the barrel?

Ill be calling savage tomorrow and let them know the issue. according to my buddy whos an amature gun smith that plate shouldn't move freely.
    Exactly what started happening with my 308. At first thought it was the Baurnel ammo being lacquered and all but noticed how easily the casing popped out. Then took a look at the ejector and it seemed to move and pop a bit when I moved it. Almost lost it too but didn't. And was having misfires also which I was not getting before with this ammo. So, I took the bolt apart (first time maybe 300 rds fired) and cleaned and scrubbed everything. Reoiled and assembled and am heading to the range now. Will let you know.

At first thought it was the Baurnel ammo
    This was what happened to your rifle.

MoToad
    I disagree. Because the casings are not stuck in there. The ejector is not grabbing. Still happening. I founfd the ejector seemed to be caught sprung out and when I thumbed it , it popped back over the ball and spring. Like it is catching on a burr or something. guess I'll have to put it under the microscope.

I pulled the bolt to find that the extractor plate was moved higher and not flush with the bolt lugs. I moved it down with my finger and it popped off taking the ball bearing with it.
    its not on the bolt anymore. being loose and me pressing on it it popped off into the grass.
    Definately not going to extract.

The ejector is not grabbing. Still happening. I founfd the ejector seemed to be caught sprung out and when I thumbed it , it popped back over the ball and spring. Like it is catching on a burr or something.
    Glad you found everything. What are the odds? If you want help, take some pictures and post them. You will get tons of replies when people actually understand the issue and can see what the solution would be..

I attempted to eject them I couldn't get the bolt to budge. once I got it to budge I had rifling marks on the bullets and they got seated deeper.
    It is the ammo

I disagree. Because the casings are not stuck in there.
    The bolt wont budge and the bullets are getting foced into the case but it is not the ammo. You did something to move the bolt (read applied force) and damaged your extractor mechanism. Seems simple. If you are following the post it would be easy to come to the conclusion that the ammo did not fit and while attempting to get the bolt(bullet stuck in lands) freed that the force applied damaged the bolt. One could continue to use the same ammunition and not repair the bolt and theoreticaly never see anything different happen than what is happening currently..
    Last edited by Robinhood; 05-27-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoToad View Post
    I disagree. Because the casings are not stuck in there. The ejector is not grabbing. Still happening. I found the ejector seemed to be caught sprung out and when I thumbed it , it popped back over the ball and spring. Like it is catching on a burr or something.
    Me thinks you have the "Extractor" and "Ejector" twisted up!

The extractor, the detent ball and spring. On the bottom side of the extractor is a 1/2 deep round detent ( hole) , the spring tension on the ball holds it in place in it's 'home' position. Being a push feed action the extractor must be able to move outward when forced outward by the case rim when chambered and move back inward until it bottoms out in the case extractor groove.. If it hangs up in the outward position when jumping the rim it can't move back inward to engage the case extractor groove to extract a case.

If you were to install the extractor sans spring and ball it should slide freely all the way through the T slot in the lug. If not the T slot, extractor, ball, spring and bore need to be cleaned. 90% of the time cleaning it the 'fix'. On rare occasion I've had to tweak the extractor-T slot using needle files.

Its also one of those areas no lubrication is better than too much of or the wrong type of anything. Oils-greases are dirt magnets. After cleaning ( extractor, spring, ball and bore) I give the them a light wet coat of Break-Free, allow it set a minute or so then wipe it off. In a pinch without disassembly you can flush them with Ronson lighter fluid to remove any crud.

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 05-27-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: "ol nimble fat fingers !
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

MoToad
    Thanks Bill for all that. I have now had it all apart again. I've had the head lamp on and gone over everything with a fine tooth comb. There are no scores or marks, crud buildup or real wear. The only thing I may have noticed is the way the top of the spring sits. If the cut end is facing in towards the center it may grab or hinder the extractor. I made sure the spring is situated so the cutoff is sitting where it is least likely to effect the ejector movement. This seems a little bit too picky but it is really all I could think of. Haven't been back to the range to see if that helps but when I go I will also take along some quality grade ammo to make sure that is not the problem all along.

MoToad
    And Robin. It looks like you are mixing up two different sets of replys.

Basic Member
    Me thinks yer still twisted up.....the spring doesn't touch the extractor, only the ball does.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

MoToad
    You are right, sir! So much for that theory. One thing not mentioned that I have had since day one is sometimes, not always, locking down the bolt is not smooth and takes some muscle to do so. Understanding the workings of the ejector now I am figuring that is when it is not fitting the groove in the casing?

Quote Originally Posted by MoToad View Post
    And Robin. It looks like you are mixing up two different sets of replys.
    Possibly, but they seam to be connected. You can take a piece of fired brass and drop it into the chamber and cycle the bolt to test function without going to the range. Do this 10-100 times. If it happens at the range with live ammo then it is the ammo. I am thinking it goes without saying that when closing the bolt on any live ammo it should close easily. If it takes more force to close the bolt than it does with an empty chamber you can reason with a high probability that you are going to have extraction issues with that ammo. Most everyone who shoots a lot has experienced this at least once in their lifetime.

Basic Member
    well cleaned the rifle and put a factory round in it and bolt was hard to close and made the cut/ring on the bullet and also marks on the brass shoulder. bolt wouldn't open without force so its going back to savage.