Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5# accutrigger spring

romad97

1.5# accutrigger spring

I just recieved a brand new savage SA that I aquired in a trade. The action came from Jim at NSS. The action came with the 1.5# spring in a small plastic bag. How can I tell whether or not the 1.5# spring was installed before it shipped or if the factory spring is still on the action?

thomae
    put a 1.5 pound weight on the trigger and see if it trips?

northlander
    The 1 1/2 lb. spring is in the bag. The Accu-Trigger Spring on the action is original.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Does this mean that changing a standard Accutrigger to a varmint Accutrigger is a simple spring change? Jim, do you sell those?

trigger-finger
    Seems that way. I saw a mod online which cuts the original spring to get it lighter to go to 1.5 lbs. I like buying a spring designed accurately for this better than cutting original to make it shorter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

northlander
    NSS does offer the standard Savage 1 1/2 lb. Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring. We normally have them in stock.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Team Savage
    The Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring is the easiest, cheapest and safest way to get down to around a 1.5 lb Accu-Trigger. Changing the standard AT spring to the varmint AT spring is the first thing I do when I get a new Savage action. Good to know that NSS has them in stock.

romad97
    If someone could give me a simple explanation of how to swap the spring I would be greatly appreciative. It looks pretty easy but, I do not want to end up messing something up.

82boy
    The Varmint spring is silver in color, the other spring is a brownish color.

brasse
    Sweet, I ordered one of these two days ago from Jim when I also ordered another couple of barrel nuts and recoil pads.

Had not seen this thread then.

I tried ordering a lighter spring from SSS and didn't have very good luck. They sent me a new spring that looked just like my factory AT spring, Brownish colored. I installed it and at the lightest setting was 3 lbs! I emailed Lisa at SSS and explained the situation and that maybe I got the wrong spring by mistake? She was pretty sure they had sent me the correct spring but offered to send me a replacement. I got the replacement spring and again it was the Brownish colored spring. Installed it and again on the lightest setting it would only go down to 2.75 lbs, (I could get my stock spring to go down to 2.5 lbs no problem). Again I emailed Lisa and explained the situation and she was pretty emphatic that she had sent me the "Light" spring and that my action must be "out of spec". I sent both springs back for a refund and ended up doing the spring modification trick and got it down to 2 lbs by swapping the Blade spring to the trigger and using a ballpoint pen spring for the Blade. I'd still like to get a Varmint spring so I can get it down to 1.5 lbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by northlander View Post
    NSS does offer the standard Savage 1 1/2 lb. Varmint/Tactical Accu-Trigger spring. We normally have them in stock.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    Hey Jim, I just emailed you to see if you have these springs in stock? Thanks!

Basic Member
    So...let me see if I understand this...is this the same 1.5 lb trigger spring that comes on red blade PTA actions? If so I could take a regular Accu-Trigger action, replace the spring with a 1.5 lb spring and essentially have a PTA trigger without the red blade..am I correct?

Team Savage
    No. There is a standard Accutrigger spring that will allow you to adjust trigger pull down to around 2.5 lbs in my experience. There is a varmint Accutrigger spring that allows you to adjust down to around 1.5 lbs. The target Accutrigger (red blade) sear design, and not just the spring is what allows it to be adjusted much lower than possible with standard or varmint Accutrigger springs.
    Last edited by jpdown; 05-20-2016 at 08:15 PM.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    No. There is a standard Accutrigger spring that will allow you to adjust trigger pull down to around 2.5 lbs in my experience. There is a varmint Accutrigger spring that allows you to adjust down to around 1.5 lbs. Finally, there is the target Accutrigger spring that is used only with target action. The target Accutrigger (red blade) sear design, and not just the spring is what allows it to be adjusted much lower than possible with standard or varmint Accutrigger springs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    So...let me see if I understand this...is this the same 1.5 lb trigger spring that comes on red blade PTA actions? If so I could take a regular Accu-Trigger action, replace the spring with a 1.5 lb spring and essentially have a PTA trigger without the red blade..am I correct?
    Capt beach you are correct, the red blade target accu-trigger uses the same silver spring that is used in the varmint accutrigger. There is no third spring. The target accu-trigger gets is light weight from the sear, (That has a different angle to the engagement surface.) which is IDed with a little dimple by the bolt releases. Now the blade spring that controls the safety engagement blade in the middle of the accutrigger has a different spring. To further answer your now placing the silver spring into your accu-trigger will not make it a target accutrigger, you need the special sear, that has a different engagement angle on it.

On a side note, I don't know why people keep dragging up old threads that are over half a year old. This thread was dead and was moving on to 7 months old until it was dragged up yesterday.

Basic Member
    SO if I understand this correctly...Regular Accu-Trigger + Silver Light Weight Spring(1.5 lb) + Target Trigger SEAR = Target Trigger (Red Blade PTA style) conversion... so the real question might be...is the Target SEAR interchangeable?

Basic Member
    If you can find one, yes.

Some of us are new to the forum and found it useful apparently. I'm always in school, everyday I learn something new! :)

Can someone post a picture of the standard weight spring.... and the 1.5 lb spring.... side-by-side?

I just purchased the "1.5 lb" spring from SSS...and got a brown colored spring in a clear bag, with no part number or part description. How do I know?. Are we sure the 1.5 lb Varmint/Tactical is silver in color.... always?

All I can tell you is that the 2 SSS sent me were Brown and were NOT the 1.5lb springs. Install it and check your pull, that's what I did on both. Lisa swears those are the "Light" springs but I think they got sent the wrong springs on their order.
    US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member

I think I got the wrong part even though we went over this with quite some detail over the phone. The problem is I'm using this spring in another ( non-standard) application and cannot check pull weights the normal way.....it's going into a different gun. But what I know I need for the project is the Accutrigger 1.5 lb spring. Why the heck aren't these springs put in a bag with part number, to keep this all straight ??

Just to add to the confusion....if I research the websites.....the 1.5 lb spring is either Savage part number 105270, or 105267.....even here I can't get the straight dope.

Can you tell me if the 1.5 lb springs are always silver ???

I could have purchased from Jim at NSS....but he needs a $50 minimum order, something I wasn't prepared to do as I only needed the springs.
    Last edited by IPSC; 04-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

From what I've read and been told, yes they are silver. Here's a pic of a "Target" trigger with the 1.5lb spring.

US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Man, after reading all this, I like my target action more and more every day!

northlander
    All of the 1 1/2 lb. springs that we have seen have been the light brown color. We actually saw the silver colored springs as the 2 1/2 to 3 lb. trigger weight level. Savage has changed things so often that Pat may have seen a 1 1/2 lb. spring that was silver but all of the ones that we have gotten have been the light brown.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Jim:

I appreciate your update on this, .....it helps me and undoubtedly others here too. The spring I have may indeed be the correct one afterall.

Not to beat a dead horse ( too late !), but the spring I'm asking about to verify if it is the 1.5 lb version....has an upper "fat" portion of the spring that shows its lower 3 coils "touching". As to dimensions---> Using my digital micrometer, wire diameter is about 0.027".... fat wound diameter is ~ 0.260"...thinner base wound diameter is ~0.164"....overall length ( not including pilot "tit") is about 0.80 ". Top (fat) length is ~ 0.47" not including the tit...and the lower thinner section is ~ 0.33" long. I'm hoping this is the correct 1.5 lb spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast