Thread: Savage Chassis

Basic Member

Savage Chassis

So....been reading a lot and have seen some builds on chassis' instead of traditional stocks (I think I have it right). They look kind of cool, so let's hear it from the Savage Shooters. Which chassis works the best/is the most popular/is the best bang for the buck. I think there might be one in my future...someday but I need you guys to help me decide .

Thanks,

Kansan

Basic Member
    The XLR is pretty popular here. On my latest build, I went with MDT LSS chasis which is great. Both the XLR element and the MDT LSS both will require you to purchase AR15 but stock, so don't forget to factor that cost in as well.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I run Mcree Precision. Very happy with them

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Both the XLR element and the MDT LSS both will require you to purchase AR15 but stock, so don't forget to factor that cost in as well.
    This is not entirely true as both companies manufacture very nice but stocks for their chassis.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have a Mcree For my SA but looking to go with XLR on my LA, biggest problem is options for my LH LA Bottom release, XLR is much more accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'd like to try an Xlr evolution myself someday. Like the look of the tube forend

Basic Member
    I purchased a Cadex chassis for my 10T 6.5 creedmoor. Was originally suppose to go on my 10T 308 but changed my mind. Its a nice chassis. Took me over 6 months to decide after reading reviews, pming folks, etc. Figure your budget, then look what is available for your budget, ask owners for there opinions, then go for it. My next one will be a XLR for the 308. Good luck.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Three Mcree chassis in this household.....

Any chassis with the LOP you need. They vary quite a bit even with adjustable stocks. TAC21 is 1.5" or so less LOP than the LSS, both from the same MFG. That and a chassis that does not contain the scope base/rail but rather the rail bolts directly to the action. If you need to remove the action from the chassis when the optics are mounted to the chassis, it is likely you will need to re-zero.

Basic Member
    I know I'm bumping my own year-old thread, but I had put the idea aside but now am looking to go forward. The basis will be an all-weather 260 Remington stainless....any interesting developments in the year since I originally posed the question? I'm disappointed that neither Savage nor Ruger offer the precision rifle in 260 Rem.

Thanks,

Kansan

As far as popularity, that's going to be all over the map.... IMO, in the "best bang for the buck" category, I'd recommend XLR Element or MDT HS3.

Savage Chassis

I just went with a Mcree G7 for my 30-06, they are on sale!

I stopped by XLR when I was picking up an airplane out of maintenance in Grand Junction where they are located. The chassises XLR manufacture are works of art, but the one thing I absolutely hated is the folding stock does not lock in the folded position, so it chafes the side of the chassis when it is folded. I know it is nitpicking, but a folder is a necessity for me, and it scratches the coating off.

Basic Member
    Best bang for the buck is a used model. :) They're aluminum so it's pretty hard to hurt them. Mcree and XLR are good bets and Masterpiece Arms has one too but it is more. Snipers Hide them in the for sale section fairly often. That's where I got my Mcree's.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    Best bang for the buck is a used model. :) They're aluminum so it's pretty hard to hurt them. Mcree and XLR are good bets and Masterpiece Arms has one too but it is more. Snipers Hide them in the for sale section fairly often. That's where I got my Mcree's.
    ^This.

I should point out I was looking for a leftie long action bottom release... not a lot used out there, but if you are looking for something more standard used is the way to go.

My first Mcree was used and I had to convert the action to a bottom release. A buddy at a machine shop plunged 3 holes and its made in the shade!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    ^This.

I should point out I was looking for a leftie long action bottom release... not a lot used out there, but if you are looking for something more standard used is the way to go.

My first Mcree was used and I had to convert the action to a bottom release. A buddy at a machine shop plunged 3 holes and its made in the shade!

I have a used stealth, and it looks like it can run left or right. Looks like there is a filler piece on my left side. Might check that.

MDT does the chassis for Savage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies....I think I'm favoring the MDT HS3 at the moment....

Any surprises I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Kansan

KRG 180-Alpha Chassis

Kinetic Research Group - KRG 180 Alpha. Drop in installation, to me, ergonomics superior to the MDT. KRG grip allows for a high thumb position with thumb rest. Plenty of factory accessories. 10 minute install. MDT makes a good chassis, but I rarely see them in PRS matches.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/pro...alpha-chassis/