Thread: Short barreled woods rifle.......

Basic Member

Short barreled woods rifle.......

Looking of either building or buying (ER shaw) a short barreled 16-18" woods rifle in either 358 win, 35 wheeler or 338/06. I generally hunt deer but have been bear hunting a few times and plan on moose hunting at some point. I have been reloading for a few years and the reason I chose the chamberings above is because I already have 30-06 and 308 brass but am perfectly open to other suggestions. Max range for my shots are maybe 150 yards but I just want a real hammer. Has anyone built a similar setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a thread on those a while back. Somebody posted this pic of exactly what your after, a 358 Shaw.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That's basically exactly what I have in mind. I tried using the search feature and it didn't show any results.....

I google it and found it in the archives. Copied and pasted an image link that said 358 shaw barrel. I am caveman.

Banned
    How about going with a 30-06 and just use a 220 grain slug?

I have a Savage 20 inch barrel in that caliber coming off a gun soon. New barrel, not shot much, good TE and MW specs.

Newer powders you can get to 300 WM ops levels in t 30-06 these days.

Basic Member
    My suggestion would be towards the 358. I believe it will lose less from the short barrel than the '06 based rounds, and you can load some heavy bullets that will penetrate any bear. Good selection of bullets around for the 35 cal too. Short cartridge equals faster reloading for second shot.

It's not a Savage, but you might luck into a 356 Win lever action. Now you're talking fast and handy, like my 375 Win.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    There was a thread on those a while back. Somebody posted this pic of exactly what your after, a 358 Shaw.
    That is one of mine. It's a 308 Win, but still a similar style you may be looking to build. It's 16" and has a Surefire brake.
    It's short and compact, factory barreled and extremely accurate.
    INFERNO

Hey Clint, I saw your post but all I had was links to go by. Thanks for stepping up.

Basic Member

Short barreled woods rifle.......

Thanks guys, I have a older 110 in 30-06 currently, just wanted something a little different

Banned
    Frankly I don't get the heavy artillery approach to dealing with bears. My step grand dad took 8 or them with a 30-06. 220 grain bullets. One had a head as big as the front of a jeep.

Also keep in mind, if its a head on encounter, you are lucky to get one shot in. Latest AK is lever action but that's experienced guides that might get more than one shot off and usually its a result of a known shooting (ie. didn't drop the bear the client shot) not sudden encounter.

Hard cast lead slugs. Same for a 30-06 is as good a chance as you will get. Just my opinion. Spent a lot of time in the woods with just a 41 mag. Happy never have had a run in (62 years in AK).

Basic Member
    I should clarify this isn't for bear protection I was just stating I have gone beat hunting in the past and it is a viable option for me to go in the future. In NY junkies are a much bigger problem than bears are!

Don't overlook the 338 Federal. Loaded with 225 Accubonds, it makes a good bear gun out to about 300 yards.
    Case forming is easy, feeds perfectly from a .308 magazine, and offers minimal velocity loss w/short barrels.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Presently building a 35 Whelen in an older 110, 270. . Have a 22" barrel Shilen barrel on oprder. Just finished floating the barrel, bedding the stock, and bedding the rail. Hope to take it with the 270 barrel to the range tomorrow but then have to wait for the Shilen barrel. Wil;l try to remember to keep you posted on progress. Probably 2 months min for Shilen barrel.

Basic Member
    I had a 35 Whelen with 17" barrel for a very short time. I have never forced a rifle with muzzle blast that could compare. It was violent with ear plugs and muffs on. With the 06 case, I would not go shorter than 20". My rifle was fired six times and rebarreled. I would never shoot it in the woods without protection.

Basic Member
    I am starting a thread today on my 35 Whelen build. Title will be 110 35 Whelen build.

Banned
    Cool, always intrigued me, I will get to shoot one as a guy I know has offered.

Oddly the best memory of it was from a bear hunting story by Elmer Keith, 5 guys got attacked by a bear, all had 30 caliber up to the 35 W, took all of them to knock the bear down. Rare case of where it actively tracked them and was after them (they back traced it, open country, tracked them several miles)

And a side note: Best bear protection is bear spray. Not 100%, but I forget how many people with guns up here never got a shot off, bear spray carriers generally do ok,

Basic Member
    I have a 19" McGowen 358 Win barrel that I absolutely love. It shoots the 200gr TTSX under 1/2 MOA at around 2600 fps. I loaned it to my father in law about a year ago and I haven't seen it since!

The 338 Federal is just as good or possibly better than the 358, but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPOSHOOTER View Post
    I am starting a thread today on my 35 Whelen build. Title will be 110 35 Whelen build.
    I haven't seen your thread? Been watching and waiting!

I wanted the exact same thing. Tried a 30-06 with 18" barrel and 200 gr partitions, couldnt get it to shoot good and wanted a bigger hole. Tried a 338WM hog hunter barrel. Too much recoil without brake and too much blast with brake. Decided to get a shilen prefit, agonized between 338-06 and 35 whelen. Decided on a 18.5" 338-06. Just got it put together a month or so ago and have not hunted it yet but after 3 range trips I am very happy with it. It shoots 225 gr barnes ttsx's into .75" which seems plenty good for a woods bear/pig gun and I think it can do better with more work. I do not think you will regret either 338-06 or whelen but I like the wide selection of higher-BC 338 bullets. I also now have four sub-20" barrels of 30-06 power or greater and generally disagree with what seems to be the received internet wisdom that muzzle blast is awful. As mentioned above, a braked short barrel 338 WM is too much but I have not found either of my two 30-06s or my 338-06, all 18-19" to be unpleasant. I have a 22" 300 SAUM that generates more blast than any of the shorter barrels.
    Long story short, I am super happy with this build and highly recommend you give it a go and post your experience.

QUOTE=Bradincheek;367001]Looking of either building or buying (ER shaw) a short barreled 16-18" woods rifle in either 358 win, 35 wheeler or 338/06. I generally hunt deer but have been bear hunting a few times and plan on moose hunting at some point. I have been reloading for a few years and the reason I chose the chamberings above is because I already have 30-06 and 308 brass but am perfectly open to other suggestions. Max range for my shots are maybe 150 yards but I just want a real hammer. Has anyone built a similar setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Huh? Eh, what did he say? I couldn't hear him. Doggone ringing blocks out everything.

Basic Member
    ^ Hey ! ^... At least Your's are still ringing :-((