Thread: Help choosing stock for long range rifle based off old savage 110.

mpsteidle

Help choosing stock for long range rifle based off old savage 110.

Hey guys, like the title says, I'm looking for help finding a nice comfortable stock or chassis for an old savage 110 I picked up recently. It is currently a .270, but I will be switching the barrel with a varmint .308 barrel (blah blah blah short action round in a long action, I'll deal with the magazine issues myself). Which stocks do you guys prefer that will accommodate older style savage 110 long actions and has the capability to use AICS magazines? Or at least one where I can replace the bottom metal to take AICS magazines. I've been researching all day and cant seem to find much info.

Also, I'm assuming its an older one because the rear of the receiver is flat. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pics for those interested:

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore...3-308-box-dbm/

They will inlet your stock with the purchase
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

mpsteidle
    Oh my god this is EXACTLY WHAT I NEED. I think I love you.

Banned
    I just finished this model 10 in 260 Rem., but they also make it for the long actions. I have a thread up in the "my build" forum.

MDT TAC21

Banned
    Oh, I had a question. Why are you going to 308? Your .270 will out range a .308 by quite some distance. And if your going to re-barrel, and want one of the short cartridges, for distance, get into the 6mm, or 6.5mm's.
    Last edited by Dave Hoback; 05-21-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsteidle View Post
    Oh my god this is EXACTLY WHAT I NEED. I think I love you.
    Get in line you big hunk of man candy.

And if your going to re-barrel, and want one of the short cartridges, for distance, get into the 6mm, or 6.6mm's.
    Stay away from the 6.6 cartridges. Finding projectiles is tough.

Your .270 will out range a .308 by quite some distance.
    I agree, The 280 would be the long range bomb and still have barrel life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Get in line you big hunk of man candy.

Stay away from the 6.6 cartridges. Finding projectiles is tough.

I agree, The 280 would be the long range bomb and still have barrel life.

Well, I meant 6.5mm, Robinhood. Thanks for pointing that out. I edited that mistake in my post. No, 6.6 is not something very likely..... 6.5, like my 260 Remington on the other hand. Yup.. The heavier 7mm's carry the highest BC of most. Just need enough cartridge, and powder to drive them efficiently.., hence why my 260 Remington will destroy the 7mm-08. The 08 case just doesn't have the powder capacity to equip the bigger 7mm pills effectively.

I figured, all in good fun. You are right about the 7mm08 but the 280 has a bigger boiler room.

hingedthinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh, I had a question. Why are you going to 308? Your .270 will out range a .308 by quite some distance. And if your going to re-barrel, and want one of the short cartridges, for distance, get into the 6mm, or 6.5mm's.
    Please help me understand this. I shot my S 10FCP in .308 yesterday at 1350 yards (8 shots to hit working windage 36" rect. plate). I also hit a 12" plate dead center at 1200 yards on 2nd shot several times. Once I dialed this in, I feel I could do it repeatedly given the same conditions. So how does a .270 "out range" a .308?

Banned
    Well, at a 1000 yds it only drops 40 inches instead of 42!

I do want to see the 270, great hunting rifles but never saw one that was tack accurate (also limited bullets for it let alone match as my brother pointed out)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
    Please help me understand this. I shot my S 10FCP in .308 yesterday at 1350 yards (8 shots to hit working windage 36" rect. plate). I also hit a 12" plate dead center at 1200 yards on 2nd shot several times. Once I dialed this in, I feel I could do it repeatedly given the same conditions. So how does a .270 "out range" a .308?

WOW! With that type of shooting, I'm sure your a very well known competitor in the country. I would love to see some of your awards. Most impressive indeed, since NO OTHER COMPETITION SHOOTER IN THE COUNTRY USES A 30 CAL.

Note to self..... Add name (hingedthinker) to list of "forum story tellers".

Banned
    And just because I like backing statements up with PROOF! Which is the same as TRUTH! Here is some reading to educate, and *enlighten* you.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...rifle-caliber/

And some simple ballistics.

308 Winchester w/168gr. Berger VLD
    Sectional Density- 253
    Ballistic Coefficient- 473
    Velocity- 2700fps

270 Winchester w/150gr. Berger VLD
    Sectional Density- 271
    Ballistic Coefficient- 531
    Velocity- 2850fps

And this is .270(. 6.8mm). Not even the, incredibly nasty, 7mm we went on to discuss. Now I'm no leading authority, but I believe when you take a projectile, with a higher BC & velocity, it's going to have a greater range. And, Near .060BC & an additional 100-150 fps, is not a "small" upgrade. Am I mistaken?

hingedthinker
    And just because I like backing statements up with PROOF! Which is the same as TRUTH! Here is some reading to educate, and *enlighten* you.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...rifle-caliber/

And some simple ballistics.

308 Winchester w/168gr. Berger VLD
    Sectional Density- 253
    Ballistic Coefficient- 473
    Velocity- 2700fps

270 Winchester w/150gr. Berger VLD
    Sectional Density- 271
    Ballistic Coefficient- 531
    Velocity- 2850fps

And this is .270(. 6.8mm). Not even the, incredibly nasty, 7mm we went on to discuss. Now I'm no leading authority, but I believe when you take a projectile, with a higher BC & velocity, it's going to have a greater range. And, Near .060BC & an additional 100-150 fps, is not a "small" upgrade. Am I mistaken?
    Typical arrogant interweb hero Dave. Just remember, YOU went low first. The OP specifically said he was going with .308. Then you clowns get on and start spewing BS and trashing the cartridge he said he choosing. The pros that are winning are all shooting 6MM. So what? Professional race car drivers all use built tube frame chassis with blueprinted race motors. Does the average guy own a tube frame race car? NO. We own mustangs, camaros, corvettes and vipers. I see this all the time guys like you touting big money big time investment calibers "just because the pros and youtube" told me so. 99.9% of us don't need 6MM, custom match barrels, jewel triggers and $2000 chassis systems. Most of what you can gain in accuracy is to train yourself not your weapon.

So if you are not going to contribute valuable commentary to the OP's post, then just shut the **** up.

hingedthinker
    Hey OP.

I shot Hornady Superformance factory ammo yesterday. It worked great for me, but I'm just a hobbyist shooter. Not a pro interweb hero like Dave. Amazingly, I was able to shoot the cartridge out to 1350 yards after I doped my rifle. Yesterday was my FIRST day shooting over 250 yards. We were learning MOA and MILS so we did drills starting at 300 out to 1000 yards. I think your choice of .308 is just fine.

Availability and price of projectiles and factory ammo for .308 is a big (read HUGE) factor in my reasoning to stick with .308. I plan on building my older savage 110 LA action with a new varmint barrel in 30-06 for long range shooting just to annoy people like Dave.

"Which stocks do you guys prefer that will accommodate older style savage 110 long actions " Have you looked at the MDT HS3 and their other products? very reasonable prices compared to J Allen and others. With the HS3 you can avoid buying new bottom metal, as compared to some options for a new stock if you are wanting to use the AICS magazines. Not sure on your model, but on my 10FCP I was able to buy Dark Eagle Custom (Dan is AWESOME BTW) 10rd magazines and they worked VERY WELL and are beautiful to look at. And solid.

fyi, we chrono my rifle before training. 2751 avg FPS, SD 19.4 out of stock savage 10FCP.

308 Win 178 gr BTHP Superformance® Match™

Details
    Item Number 8077
    H.I.T.S. # (100 Yard Value) 1324
    Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .530
    Sectional Density .268
    Test Barrel Length (inches) 24"

Banned
    Umm... Ok. Sure thing buddy. You sure got me. Lol. Have fun in dreamland.

BTW, I don't remember "trashing" 308 sport. Love 308, in fact. I just know it's limitations. Even though you have somehow been able to defy the laws of physics. Your assessment of me is about as good as your "story time" on your magic 308. Since when is 6mm or 6.5mm(my rifle is 260 Rem, btw)some exotic caliber? I, along with most shooters who know a thing or two, reload. So, you have a stock 24" barrel, you don't reload, and you copied into about the biggest, baddest 308 ammo made. But you got me chief. You win, hahaha.

Oh, I'm done btw.

hingedthinker
    Umm... Ok. Sure thing buddy. You sure got me. Lol. Have fun in dreamland.

BTW, I don't remember "trashing" 308 sport. Love 308, in fact. I just know it's limitations. Even though you have somehow been able to defy the laws of physics. Your assessment if me is about as good as your "story time" on your magic 308. Since when is 6mm or 6.5mm(my rifle is 260 Rem, btw)some exotic caliber? I, along with most shooters who know a thing or two, reload. So, you have a stock 24" barrel, you don't reload, and you copied into about the biggest, baddest 308 ammo made. But you got me chief. You win, hahaha.

Oh, I'm done btw.
    You are the only one here making a ruckus providing nothing of value to the conversation. I never claimed anything as such, I just stated what I did. I also reload, I just didn't say anything about it. I shared exactly what happened yesterday.

You are more interested in being a bully and filling up the OP thread with BS than providing value here. You are /being a d***. Still! Just go away.

Then you clowns get on and start spewing BS and trashing the cartridge he said he choosing
    I may in fact be a clown but I never bashed the 308!

Oh, I'm done btw.