Thread: AXIS trigger mod question

Basic Member

AXIS trigger mod question

Am about to mod to my Axis to reduce the trigger pull from the 5.5 lbs at which it came from the factory. I'm familiar with several of the techniques people use, but I think I will avoid clipping the factory spring, so as to preserve it case I need service under warranty.

What I would like to know is, what is the least amount of trigger pull weight I should shoot for? At what weight am I likely to encounter safety issues, where the trigger fires when subjected to a drop test or similar shocks?

I figure there's no sense trying to get to, say, 2 lbs if the experience of others shows that as unlikely to be unsafe.

Anyone with experience in the matter have any comments to share?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4Patriot; 05-20-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Basic Member
    i spent a ton of time on 2 axis triggers. If you look closely, you can see that the trigger machining isn't perfect. I got one to 3.5 and the other to 3.25. It seems like the best i've been hearing is 3. I'm more than happy with mine. there is zero creep. If i had it to do over again, i would probably file the shim more so the sear sat a tick deeper in the trigger groove. i think going less than 3 might be possible in that case but i'm no trigger expert. At any rate, if you take out the creep and get it to 3.5 you will be more than happy i'm sure. mine feels lighter than that but it scales consistently. Just be SURE to research all the trigger testing methods on here and test repeat test repeat etc with every change you make. I found that to be very important. Repeat all your testing once the action and barrel are back in the stock as well as this will likely change things.

I installed the overtravel hex screw, a shim made from a heavy duty paper clip, and an aftermarket spring which was very similar to the coil thickness of the stock spring.

In my Axis .308 , mine did not come with a adjustable trigger so I spent the $90 and got a Timney for it. I have mu=ine adjusted at a average of 2# (+ .5-.25 at times but never below 2) . Since it is my bench rest / long range rifle ( soon once I get a barrel ) I like the zero creep and the instant fire when I twitch the trigger. Needless to say my finger is hovering the trigger until I get a good sight lock. I would recommend 2.5-3 # to see how you like it and if it fits for you , as every shooter has diffrent taiste in pull strength.

For practical purposes the safety of a trigger is a function of both the spring tension and the sear engagement. A heavier spring can offset lower trigger engagement or more engagement can offset a lighter spring to an extent. Consider the following, very general graph I just made up with no data:

So the red area represents a "safe" trigger. Axises are typically set at "A", where they have a good deal of engagement (0.015", I've found) and a hefty spring. A more ideal setting would be at the asterisk. I prefer a crisper trigger, even if it's heavier, but some might prefer a little creepiness with a lighter weight. Mine mostly are about 3# with no perceptible creep.

Basic Member
    I got mine to three pounds.

MoToad
    I also just installed the Timney. I had cut the spring a full turn to bring the pull down from what felt like a factory 10 lbs but was still not happy. The Timney also has sear adjustment which really helped. All of a sudden I am shooting 6" groups at 300 meters which, for my shaky old half blind body is a miracle. I also bedded with that Rockite stuff at the same time adding a lot of weight to the .308. So that could have something to do with it too.

Basic Member
    I got mine down to 3 lbs.

don't try this at home, but I got mine to 2 lbs ,I stoned the trigger and sear surfaces lightly, and clipped about 1-1/2 to 2 coils off the factory spring , then slap bump tested it HARD- it works fine , just a tad under 2 lbs, took it out and shot while zeroing a scope , no problems -
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Basic Member
    +1 for the timney. Dropped in the adjustable and set at 2.5 lbs. Save yourself the trouble

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    [B]"Fumeiyo Yori Shi"[/B]

Mine is just over 3 tested with a cheap spring gauge. I like it but I think my next investment will be a Timney trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    like this trigger? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138...is-steel-black

got a couple trigger springs off ebay ( he does not make them now ) for my other axis and they dropped the trigger to 3.5 just with the spring, they look and are shaped just like the original springs

my 6.5 creedmoor has a 6lb trigger right now, will stick just this spring in tomorrow and see how it looks then :)

MoToad
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    like this trigger? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138...is-steel-black

got a couple trigger springs off ebay ( he does not make them now ) for my other axis and they dropped the trigger to 3.5 just with the spring, they look and are shaped just like the original springs

my 6.5 creedmoor has a 6lb trigger right now, will stick just this spring in tomorrow and see how it looks then :)
    Yep. That's the one I dropped in. Totally worth it.

Basic Member
    My Axis trigger is a consistent 50 oz using this method:

http://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/d...s-trigger-job/

After trying a couple springs I ended up using 3/16x5/8x.016 and turned the threads down on the overtravel screw to fit the spring

Basic Member
    I just installed the Timney after previously clipping the factory spring. I had it down to 3 lbs. with the spring mod., but it had much creep. Installed the Timney and adjusted down to 1.5 lbs. with zero creep. The Timney was worth it for me.

doodedge
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post
    My Axis trigger is a consistent 50 oz using this method:

http://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/d...s-trigger-job/

After trying a couple springs I ended up using 3/16x5/8x.016 and turned the threads down on the overtravel screw to fit the spring
    I did this method as well, except I stoned my sear engagement surface until there was no take up as well. Been shooting it this way for a year and the trigger is a dream. I would definitely try some DIY before you spend 120 on a trigger that will feel the same. If you don't have any luck doing it yourself you can still buy the other one.

I did have one issue with the trigger when I initially switch do my boyds stock. The trigger was occasionally releasing when I closed the bolt. I found the boys stock was too tight and pinching the spring on the left side that resets the sear, probably not letting it reseat all the way and causing my issues. I dremmeled the stock out a bit and haven't had any issues since.

The sear being released when shutting the bolt is one of the tests we all should be doing when screwing around with our triggers. Even without interference from the stock it can happen if sear engagement or trigger spring pressure is too low. So be sure to slam the bolt handle down when you're testing!

I clipped 1.5 coils off the factory spring. I got lucky in that it has almost no creep as it was, so I called it done. Feels and shoots much better, for free.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.