Thread: Anybody had a custom stock made?

Black Hog Down

Anybody had a custom stock made?

Looking for a place to ship my Savage 99 takedown that will ship me back a fully fit and finished walnut stock.

Looking at Macon and Wenig. Both pretty expensive. Seen some bad reviews for Macon.

Basic Member
    ry these guys, I've seen their work, and it's great! http://www.bosesguns.com/gunstocks.html
    Jeff518

Black Hog Down
    Thanks. I called them and their estimate for a fully fit/finished stock with "plain Jane" wood is $1600.
    That is too much. I think I could maybe go as high as $800 but I'm not sure about that.
    This gun was given to me by my grandfather and I would really like to restore it but that kind of money could buy a LOT of things.

What exactly are you looking for? I have made several wood stocks for me and friends. Win70, Remington 700, Mausers, and 110. I haven't done a 99 but could probably figure it out. PM me if you would like pics and we could talk.

Is getting someone to help you fit a Boyds too much?

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Black Hog Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is getting someone to help you fit a Boyds too much?
    So I already tried to by a "semi inlet" stock from another manufacturer. Because I have a circa 1911 takedown it is difficult to get a premade stock that fits closely enough. On the one I ordered the butt stock was good but the forearm did not fit the barrel and needed to have wood added back. Something you can't do. Also the buttstock kinda got dorked by me so now I have $100 walnut kindling.

I think I need a place or person who has the right skills and the right tools to get it done.

Great people to handle custom 99 stock work

I realize that I may be getting to this far too late to do you any good -- but, then again, maybe not. I'd suggest that you contact Gostomski gunsmithing in Mount Savage, Maryland. (Perfect name for a place that works on 99s, huh?) I had Bill Gostomski replace the butt stock on my 99 EG and the work was superb. Bill is the owner and Peter is his son. Both know what they're doing. They can be reached at 301-264-3773 or at thegunsmith@gostomskigunsmithing.com. Take a look at their website. It has a beautiful picture of a custom multi-barrel take-down 99 that they put together. Hope this comes to you in time to help. Take care.

Black Hog Down
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyjd View Post
    I realize that I may be getting to this far too late to do you any good -- but, then again, maybe not. I'd suggest that you contact Gostomski gunsmithing in Mount Savage, Maryland. (Perfect name for a place that works on 99s, huh?) I had Bill Gostomski replace the butt stock on my 99 EG and the work was superb. Bill is the owner and Peter is his son. Both know what they're doing. They can be reached at 301-264-3773 or at thegunsmith@gostomskigunsmithing.com. Take a look at their website. It has a beautiful picture of a custom multi-barrel take-down 99 that they put together. Hope this comes to you in time to help. Take care.
    Not too late.
    I spoke with them today and they have very competitive prices and they were very helpful in the phone.
    I may just go with them for the project.
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    If you have any talent of your own and the desire to use it, you could look at having the original stock (duplicated).
    There are people who own duplicating machines who provide this service for stock builders and individuals interested
    in building their own stock. It is necessary to furnish a pattern of the stock you wish duplicated.

Basic Member
    Duplicating butt stocks like the 99 is not as easy as it sounds. Duplicating anything that attaches to a tang must have that end machined first for location purposes, and then attached to a mandrel or "dummy receiver" to finish the rest. Typically long rifle stocks are machined between centers.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Black Hog Down
    This is something that I have been working on for a while. I started by trying to do it myself with a semi inlet product and that was a failure.
    Then I tried to get a local wood worker to help me and that was a failure.
    So... now I am looking for professional help and it is F'ing expensive.