Thread: Budget Long Distance Rifle?

Deserthunter

Budget Long Distance Rifle?

It's been some time since I built and, had built a BUDGET rifle... I thought I COULD build an inexpensive long range weapon. I started with my choice a model 12 varminter rifle with a Heavy "308win" barrel, short action in mild steel, left handed... When I got the 308 broken in, It was shooting less than .2" groups with the factory barrel. The best group measured .16" (3shot, 150gr hand loads, mine.) I was trying to stay under $1000 minus the glass. That turned out to be a joke... Try $3800-$4000, That's a conservative estimate after all the items were added in, lol... That included shipping which turned out to be significant..... I did the camo painting, saving quit a bit. Most of the items should be listed at the end of the email. By the way that included $1000+ for the Leupy scope... It just crept up slowly it was almost creepy... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the rifle, just, maybe not all of it...
    How about you and your builds?

Thanks, Mike

When I took the Taxis to Bang Steel, I had about $1000 in it, including the scope. It never shot super small groups like you mentioned, but I also didn't shoot fewer than five in a group. It was still well up to the challenge in Virginia.

Banned
    Well the Cabella 308 123BV (?) started out low cost, scope that can reach out long ways was costly, but it can move between two rifles now. $1400 rougly

The other one is still coming together but got a good stock and acu trigger for $500, barrel will be another $400 when done with nut, wrench (not to repeat) and the recoil lug.

Its got a good Cabella scope on it now, so that one is going to be $1200.

I guess depeonds on how you look at the glass part.

Basic Member
    My 308 that I had built in 2009 cost me around $1100 sans glass. It started out as a 308 with a sporter barrel. I had SSS do most of the work with them installing their competition trigger, Douglas barrel, T&T job, and them install and headspace the barrel. I went with the choate UV stock. As far as glass, it has a Vortex Viper PST SFP 6-24x50.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    What I'm running:

Savage Model 11 Trophy Predator 6.5 Creedmoor package - $603 shipped from cheaper than dirt
    Sold the Nikon scope and rings locally for $200
    Bell & Carlson Style 4 M40 stock from Stockys - $270
    PT&G Bottom Metal w/Bottom Bolt Release - $170
    Magpul AICS style 5 round PMAG - $33

So that's $876 before glass

Then I added a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MRAD SFP for $550 from EuroOptic and some Vortex rings off Amazon for another $50 shipped

So in total I've got $1476 into a rifle that shoots factory Hornady 140 gr AMAX at 0.7" and factory Hornady 120 gr AMAX at 0.5"...and I haven't even attempted handloads yet (still working up a collection of brass for it)

For what it can do for under $1500 using factory ammo, I'd say that's dang hard to beat...especially considering I haven't bedded it yet (don't know if I ever will). Anyways, I'm very happy with it and whenever I shoot out this barrel I'll rebarrel with another 6.5 tube from one of the well known barrel makers and keep on keeping on with this action.

Also, it shot 0.5" and 0.7" without the bottom metal and new stock...I just wanted them for my own personal feel and if I ever wanted to bed it.

Regards,

Mike

Basic Member
    My first was an Axis I built up for $1500 total into it scope and all.

Banned
    So with the real good scope I can switch back and forth depending on what I am doing.

The Cabella scope has turned out surprisingly good and certainly for 100 yds. Kind of a split between a heavy cross hair and a light and it stays solid for me (thin ones tend to fade)

So if its 100 yds I can use that one fine, we get out to the 300 yd range one of these days have the high power scope on.

Painless is a 10FP(flatback 3-screw) - $475
    Choate US stock from the classifieds here - $150
    Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil - $225

I had some rings and bases laying around, but I don't buy "magic" anyway, maybe $20
    Aluminum foil for an extra 15 mil cant to the bases, and a little fooling with some scissors - Priceless
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My $246 axis heavy barrel with $180 clearance bushnell legend ultra hd scope is doing less than half moa at 600 yd

Banned
    I like really good triggers so the choice was driven by the Acu Trigger in both cases (the sort of finished Cabella 12 FV) as well as the 111 BTH Project gun which came with a decent if not great stock (I like it, fits good)

Biggest problem is the bull or varmint barrel for 30-06! Hits all around, had to order to get the 1-10 so went with the bull

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
    My $246 axis heavy barrel with $180 clearance bushnell legend ultra hd scope is doing less than half moa at 600 yd
    I can't do that good with supposedly better gun at 100 (at least consistently) well done.

Basic Member
    I've got 2 tc dimensions. One 243 and a 7mmRM. I skim bedded the actions and cranked the triggers as light as they would go. Both rifles will rip a ragged hole at 150 paces,about 120 meters or so.
    I roll my own. The 243 gets 62 grain varmint grenades and 105 grain hornady pills,the 7mmRM gets 139 and 162 grain hornady pills.
    They both shot just under moa out of the box,4 shot strings with federal blue box.
    Neither are anything special as far as custom goes. They are just well designed,consistent shooting rifles.
    My savage 22-250 is putting 4 shots into a cloverleaf with Winchester 55 grain varmint X. Just waiting on brass that's back ordered so I can develop a load at home.
    I'm of course shooting prone,off bags. The 22-250 has been getting some work misting prairie dogs these past 2 weekends. It's got a 24x vortex crossfire.
    The tc has a vortex 16x(I think)with the Christmas tree reticle. I absolutely love that reticle.
    The 243 was pretty easy to tune loads for. Found the node right away with both weight projectiles.
    The mag was a bit tougher. But I've got sub 1/2 moa loads with 2 different powders just in case one isn't available.
    I wish heavy barrels were available for the dimensions. They are just a great rifle for the money. not knocking savage though. I couldn't be happier with it to be honest.

Banned
    The Savage is nice for the easy availability of barrel and in any profile you want. Anywhere from low cost EJS to far more expensive (Kreiger, Lilja?)

Basic Member
    Thanks rc20. Trigger is of great importance and you can alter the axis so its pretty darned good

Basic Member
    Why build when you can buy a new Savage 12 F/TR in .308, a Fox Scope for £110, and come third in one of the most popular comps of the year at Bisley (4,5,600 yards) the first time you shoot that comp?

Banned
    Some is satisfaction of doing it yourself. Some is you can get better grade barrels than Savage has after market.

I am guessing I could have had Savage custom build my want, not sure how much more, probably 100 or 200

But I got to choose the barrel mfg, have the tolls on the way and can do all future barrel changes myself. Savage will re-barrel for yahoo, but with their barrels which are pretty good but not the hand build and checked ones. You can't buy a Savage barrel after market, they don't sell them for whatever reasons.