Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powder measure

regarding the scoops: a lot of people knock them but I suspect such people failed to follow the directions. I've been surprised at how accurate they actually are IF ONE FOLLOWS THE DIRECTIONS. you can even make a custom scoop by filing one down to the desired size. if you're on a really tight budget the scoops aren't a bad way to go.
    I have seen more than one good shooter use this method with old German and Swedish Mausers with great success.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Years ago Lee sold caliber specific loading kits for a very small amount of money.
    Everything you needed including a scoop for that cartridge. The thing I really liked
    about them was the hand priming tool which is still my favorite. Today if you can find one
    on ebay, it alone sells for more than the whole kit cost.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Years ago Lee sold caliber specific loading kits for a very small amount of money.
    Everything you needed including a scoop for that cartridge. The thing I really liked
    about them was the hand priming tool which is still my favorite. Today if you can find one
    on ebay, it alone sells for more than the whole kit cost.
    First reloading kit I ever used. I believe they still sell it.

Back then if you could hit a pie plate at 100yds with your deer rifle you were good to go.

Killed a lot of deer back then.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Here is my powder charging system set up in my camper. Lee PPM two gempro 250 digital scales one to trickle on and one to verify weight a little dandy electronic trickier. I can charge cases faster and with much greater accuracy then with my rcbs chargemaster.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Well with your space limitations, you could definatly benefit by using a simple scoop or a spoon and a trickler with a good old beam scale.
    I would challenge you to try doing it for an hour. Put some powder in a small bowl or food storage container. Use a measuring spoon to dump and sift
    the powder till the scale is close to tipping and then trickle. Time yourself and be amased.

Well with your space limitations, you could definatly benefit by using a simple scoop or a spoon and a trickler with a good old beam scale.
    I would challenge you to try doing it for an hour. Put some powder in a small bowl or food storage container. Use a measuring spoon to dump and sift
    the powder till the scale is close to tipping and then trickle. Time yourself and be amased.
    I can dump a charge out of that lee powder measure faster than you can scoop and dump

I have a ohas 10/10 beam scale that has been tuned by scott parker. That said I can trickle faster on the gempro 250 and it weighs to the 0.02 grains instead of +/- 0.10 grains.

and the little dandy electronic powder trickler is much faster and more accurate than any hand trickling. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/595...owder-trickler

this one has potential for someone like you

I have a rcbs chargemaster, this setup and a Harrell precision benchrest powder measure.

Only long range loads get weighed to the 0.02 grains

everything else is thrown charges from a powder measure. Find the middle of one of those wide accuracy nodes and use it. It takes practice to get the rhythm right with a powder measure. I have it down with my Harrell. It is a lot smoother than the lee and cuts those stick powders a lot easier. You can charge 100 cases in no time throwing charges. Then I just look at them all with a flashlight to make sure they are all charged pretty equally.

Just gave my chargemaster to my brother-in-law. He is just starting out and appreciates the push button ease of charging cases. I had not used it in a year. Glad someone will get some use out of it.
    Last edited by m12lrs; 05-22-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Team Savage
    i'll be darned, Midway discontinued the Little Dandy Trickler.
    I just looked for giggles and is discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTrack View Post
    i'll be darned, Midway discontinued the Little Dandy Trickler.
    I just looked for giggles and is discontinued.
    Did you watch the video?

They still make it and it works great

Google some reviews. You will be surprised. Simple too!

I've been using an old Bonanza pm for years and it works pretty good. It just doesn't like the big extruded powders though,really struggles to cut them. Got a Hornady auto unit now too that I'm trying out,so far ,so good.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    After hearing-reading how happy those with their Lee PM I had to give one try. It wasn't as perfect as I would have liked out of the box but with a few tweaks and technique it threw charges pretty darn consistently. Not bad for a collection of plastic parts! Then last September I bought a Lee Classic. (Midsouth $70 and change). Its everything the PM is and more, cast machined steel body, brass drum, easy to adjust and or return to a previous setting than the PM and with it's 7/8-14 threads it fits most all stands. My only small complaint I would prefer both were calibrated in grains vs VMD.

In fact after using the classic exclusively the rest of the last year I made a fellow a killer deal on two RCBS Uniflows( one NIB) and a Johnson's Quick-Measure w/extra tubes and the setting gauge. Today's price for the QM? $270 and change! I didn't need them anymore. The Classic did everything the others did only better. Initial testing once I got the technique down I threw 100-50 grain charges 25 each of H4831(non-SC), 4451, Varget and R22 with only an average of .2-.3 gr variation BTW, a baffle had no effect one way or another consistency wise.

I still use my 55s for ball -flaked powders but the Classic for everything else.

Bill

Not possible to have a volume measure throw weigh powder and be accurate for every powder because every powder has a different density.
    I find the node on every rifle I load for. Just a good habit to be in to when developing a consistent load. I only weight the first few. Point of impact stays consistent and once you learn how and why a person questions why they haven't been doing it all along.
    I shoot 1300 meters at our farm. We've got 1700 meters available. I shoot milk jugs out that far with my 7RM throwing powder with my lee stuff. Under 1000 I like my 243 though a 7mm-08 or 260 is going to be in my future.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Yes sir, you can get off deep. As with any hobby, you just don't have a clue how deep you can get, and since there is money being spent there will always be someone trying to make a better moustrap.
    Actually there is a much larger need for mousetraps, and far fewer of them.
    Of those, one design made by one company dominates the market.
    Clearly we view how to put powder into a case as being far more important
    than ridding our selves of mice.
    Or are we just satisfied with a simple solution that works when it comes to mice?
    Think how bad it could get if earthworms came in a variety of colors lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfulman View Post
    Not possible to have a volume measure throw weigh powder and be accurate for every powder because every powder has a different density.
    I'm well aware of the difference between densities and weight.
    When I initially tested the Classic I used what generally were some the worst powders I have for charge to charge by weight consistency. Naturally, due to VMD differences power to powder it was adjusted to throw the 50gr targets for each the same as I would have to do with any other measure.

When I said I would prefer the 'metering chamber' be calibrated in grains vs VMD for myself it would be somewhat easier set it in the ballpark by grain weight rather then looking up the VMD for a specific powder then multiplying the target charge weight by the powder's VMD.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I'm well aware of the difference between densities and weight.
    When I initially tested the Classic I used what generally were some the worst powders I have for charge to charge by weight consistency. Naturally, due to VMD differences power to powder it was adjusted to throw the 50gr targets for each the same as I would have to do with any other measure.

When I said I would prefer the 'metering chamber' be calibrated in grains vs VMD for myself it would be somewhat easier set it in the ballpark by grain weight rather then looking up the VMD for a specific powder then multiplying the target charge weight by the powder's VMD.

Bill
    Does the Classic leak with ball powders? I've heard the PPM does.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    Does the Classic leak with ball powders? I've heard the PPM does.
    I can't say, I didn't try any. I was more interested how consistent it was or would be with extruded powders. With ball-flaked powder I still use one of my 55s.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    The lee dispenser looks good. I gave up on my rcbs dispenser and bought the little trickler 2 years ago along with a gempro 250. Picked up a hornady auto dispenser that is not accurate but use it to get me close, then trickle the rest in. For less than 50 rounds to load, I have a plastic baby spoon that gets me around 40 gr of powder. So many different systems out there. Just go with what works for you.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=BillPa;368022]I can't say, I didn't try any. I was more interested how consistent it was or would be with extruded powders. With ball-flaked powder I still use one of my 55s.

Have your 55s been reworked Bill?
    Awhile back I was talking with Neil Jones about doing some rem triggers for me.
    But I forgot to ask him about powder measures. I assume he still does them.
    I like mine for dumping powder directly into the case. That's what I use when
    I need production like on 223s and pistols.

Basic Member
    Have your 55s been reworked Bill?
    Not really. I only made-use baffles and knock twice at both ends of the dump, two at the top before the throw, two at the bottom after. I also put a sliver of lead shot under the locking screws to put a little tension on the slides to help eliminate some their slop between them and when adjusting screws. They're still hit and miss until they're set but after its almost a waste of time weighing ball-flake powders.

Ya know, all measures will through charges of powder, but not all powders consistently well. Why which I use depends whats parked on the bench.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12