Thread: Hello: New from NC

Cool Hello: New from NC

Hi everyone, my name is Greg, live in Concord NC about 5 min from Charlotte Motor Speedway. I have been shooting most of my life yet during the past year I have gotten into reloading and building rifles for specific jobs/ shooting.
    I currently have 3 AR's (16" , 10.5 SBR, 7.5 pistol) and I have my Savage Axis.308 I picked up for a decent price on sale.
    So being the person I am looking for a upper hand and to make things better I purchased a MDT LSS chassis which di wonders for the accuracy from the stock Chassis.
    Next I added a Timney 633 trigger adjusted to 2.0 pounds, It is quite a crisp and very comfortable system !
    Along with the Chassis I wanted to reduce a bit of recoil for follow up shots quickly and added a clamp on brake from Kahntrol Solutions.
    And of course one needs a scope. Currently I am using a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 V plex BDC reticle. It works well but will probably move to a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 by the winter.
    The last addition will be the barrel. I am looking to go with a McGowen heavy Varmint or a Bull if available in a 26" length.

Off of my loads (168gn A Max , Varget powder @42.8 Gn, Lapua .308 once fired brass from Barrett, and federal 210M Match Large rifle primers) and the groupings are just bigger than a softball. I figure that is not too bad for the rounds and the small, thin, stock 22" Savage Barrel at 150 yards.
    Anyhow I am looking at McGowen Barrels as a possibility in the 26" ,as stated before, to bring the groups closer.
    I look forward to hearing the ideas everyone has and hope to gain some insight / tips/ tricks to this rifle.

Last edited by Greg8403; 05-19-2016 at 01:51 AM.

smallblockstu
    Welcome. New from N.C myself.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

A big welcome!

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways