Thread: Barrel Nut Stuck

Barrel Nut Stuck

Pulled the 243 barrel from my Axis when I did my 450 Bushmaster build. There's soooo much crap in the barrel threads that I can't get the nut to come off! I clamped it in my vise and used my nut wrench getting the nut to where it's about an 8th of an inch past the chamber but now it won't budge either way! I don't want to split the nut if I don't have to. Any ideas on how to go about getting it off. Would heating the nut help?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Pulled the 243 barrel from my Axis when I did my 450 Bushmaster build. There's soooo much crap in the barrel threads that I can't get the nut to come off! I clamped it in my vise and used my nut wrench getting the nut to where it's about an 8th of an inch past the chamber but now it won't budge either way! I don't want to split the nut if I don't have to. Any ideas on how to go about getting it off. Would heating the nut help?
    Honestly I would just get a new recoil lug and nut and heat or split the old one off if you can't get it to move.. not worth messing up the threads on the barrel. Im sure I dont have to tell you but be very conservative with the heat especially being around the chamber area. You have to get it anywhere from around 600 to 1200°(depending on what type and grade of steel) to start altering the forge (and you dont want to do that) im guessing by your name you live in Georgia? If you live in indiana you could always come to my house and I can get er off there

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    On my 234 HB, I had to use a hook tool and pulled all the "bearings' out of the nut. Worked my way around and got the nut off.

Have you tried some penatrating oil or gun cleaner spray to maybe flush the grit out???

Basic Member
    This is so weird, ive rebarreled ALOT of savages but have not ran into that grit problem yet.. ive seen alot of videos showing the problem.. reckon ive been lucky

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Try the freezer before the heat. Then try penetrating oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    On one occasion i had a similar issue. Depending on how much force you have used you may have wrecked the threads on both nut and barrel. I ended up splitting the nut but couldn't save the barrel. it was not particularly accurate any way so not a big issue for me. When I got the nut to loosen it easily unscrewed from the action so that was OK in that regard. Hope you got out of the action OK.

ok

Basic Member
    Several of mine had enough of the sandblasting medium to make it difficult to remove the nut, although I was always able. Wash it out while slowly working the nut...

Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    Have you tried some penatrating oil or gun cleaner spray to maybe flush the grit out???
    Yup, that's the first thing I did soaking it in Kroil but didn't do much good. Once I got the nut moving with the wrench, I saw all this gawd awful sludge coming out from under the nut.

I'll keep working at it for a while with more Kroil and will also try soaking it with brake cleaner spray but may eventually just split it with my Dremel. Thanks guys!

Basic Member
    They are cheap enough the dremel sounds like a good solution. Of course you know to be careful how deep you cut

I've done this with bearing races with good success. A few taps with a chisel and the break. The nut will be a little tougher (tough nut to crack)

Even if you cut into the threads on the barrel it is not the end of the world. Bearing retaining nut threads have keys cut in them.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Remember, cut on the bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by Underhammer View Post
    Remember, cut on the bottom!