Thread: Boyd Stock Question

CREED_SIX.5

Boyd Stock Question

Could anyone give me some advice on a boyd stock for my new AXIS II 6.5 Creedmoor with a heavy barrel? I would like to put a wood stock on it and I'm not crazy about a thumb hole stock. This will be my first time buying and installing a aftermarket stock for any gun and I'm a little confused on which action I need to purchase? Long or short? I see on boyds site that there is a savage Axis but I do not see an Axis II. Are they the same? I'm just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly because this is my very first mod job on any rifle and I want it to be right. I appreciate any feedback!

Basic Member
    I would suggest the ProVarmint model,have a few myself and been very happy with them. When you purchase choose the short action/heavy barrel, as their is no difference between the standard Axis and Axis II in regards to that stock.

Just a few points about the Axis to help you.

1.) All AXIS actions have the same screw spacing 4.800''
    2.) The difference between long and short action with the Axis is the magazine well size, magazine itself, trigger guards and bolt head. For example and 30-06 Axis will have the larger diameter bolt head than the .223, a DBM that accommodates the longer ammo, and shorter shaped trigger guard and larger mag well and vice versa.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

CREED_SIX.5
    Thank you so much Rosco. Greatly appreciated. I will post pics once I get it completed!

doodedge
    I went with pro varment in black myself. Make sure to get the metal trigger gaurd as well. I did a DIY JB weld bed job and pillared it using the metal pillars out of the factory stock. Been verryy happy with it.

Basic Member
    Deleted
    Last edited by PappaSmurf; 03-22-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Deleted

Third vote for Boyd's Pro varmint.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Interesting. Mine is also a pro varmint. And, yes, I like it too :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16a...rw-gZahqDGfY2S

Has a Vortex Diamondback scope on it now. Very accurate little package.

+1 on the Pro Varmint. It is a little on the bulky side if you're going to be carrying it hunting(mountain hunting). Other than that, I'd put one on every rifle I own.

I will also second what doodedge added about getting metal triggerguard and pillaring the stock. The laminate will compress after a bit and won't hold your torque setting true on your action screws. using pillars resolved that issue for me on both of my Boyd's stocks.

I have the Boyd Pro Varmint in Black. I only had to relieve a few spots on the stock to include the barrel channel. I did pillar bed it and added both the steal trigger guard and mag catch. I wish I had ordered the adjustable comb as my Nikon 4-12 needed a medium height to mount it. I added a an Adjustable Matthews Riser to the stock. It makes it a little bit easier to clean the barrel than doing a wrap around. As such, it's a great stock. It is not the springy plastic. 200 yard groups are under 7/8" and not stringing. Although the original stock only was giving me 1 3/4" groups 200 yards.

For the 6.5 creedmore is order the short action. I did the same thing for my .308 The original stock was cheap plastic that flexed & made contact with the barrel which affected accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went Prairie hunter. I really like it

Boyd's prairie hunter https://imgur.com/gallery/WNaQ5wQ

After I replaced the plastic stock, the groups shrunk from 2-3" at 100 yds down to 1-1.5".
    My Boyds stock came with a warning sticker about crushing the stock if you over torque the action screws.
    Looking for better accuracy, I found V3 Precision, they have a 'pillar and metal mag clip kit' for the Axis, after installing the 5 shot group with Sierra 117gn bullets @ avg. 3150fps was 0.65" @ 100yds.

Savage Axis II 25-06Rem c.w Vortex Crossfire 4-12*50 AO

I put a Prairie Hunter in Nutmeg on my 25/06. Just put it on and haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Love how it looks and it fit like a glove.

Basic Member
    Boyds Pro Varmit. I have 3 of them. i suggest pillar bedding though to get the torque right on your receiver.

Basic Member
    I was originally going for the pro varmint but ended up with the at-one on mine. I like the adjustable cheek height and length of pull. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the grip. I got the benchrest grip and definitely like it better than standard but it does flex and feels a little flimsy.

Basic Member
    I chose the AT-One stock for my Axis XP Creedmoor. I like the looks and the adjustability.