Thread: Accu-trigger adjustment. Want it lighter

Basic Member

Accu-trigger adjustment. Want it lighter

Hey guys

So I'd like to make the pull lighter on my trigger. Can anyone educate me on what I need to do. I've got it as light as it will go from the factory and I'd like it lighter.
    So is it as simple as a spring swap or will I need to polish?
    thanks in advance for the lesson.

Basic Member
    Do you have a varmint accutrigger? Or the standard accutrigger? The spring can be replaced in the standard trigger to make it a varmint trigger. Order it online. I believe it adjusts down to 1.5 lbs. Mine seems almost too light.

How light do you need it and why?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I've got a model 11 walking varminter 22-250,not sure what the difference in triggers would be.
    There is an adjustment on the rear of the trigger group. There's no way at its lightest it's 1 1/2 pounds. If I had to guess I'd say 3 pounds.
    I ended up digging up a thread where guys are using the spring off a fishing lure that can be found for a buck so I'm going to give that a shot m
    thanks

If it's the buzz bait trick, it won't work. That's for the pre-accutrigger models. Order a varmint spring from Gunshack, pay the $7, and be done with it, even if it is a 350% mark up on the factory part.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Getting it much lighter than 1.5 lbs comes at a price....

Working the bolt FAST AND HARD will make the sear skip the trigger engagement and catch on the accu-blade.

I've worked on different triggers and they have to pass the ULTIMATE safety test. Which consists of slapping the bolt closed really hard and fast. If the sear fails to engage then it's not 100% safe or reliable.

Accutriggers have that blade there to make sure the sear doesn't drop accidentally and someone gets killed. I can get a standard accutrigger down below 1 lb but I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post

Working the bolt FAST AND HARD will make the sear skip the trigger engagement and catch on the accu-blade.

I've worked on different triggers and they have to pass the ULTIMATE safety test. Which consists of slapping the bolt closed really hard and fast. If the sear fails to engage then it's not 100% safe or reliable.

Accutriggers have that blade there to make sure the sear doesn't drop accidentally and someone gets killed. I can get a standard accutrigger down below 1 lb but I don't recommend it.
    Yep
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If it's the buzz bait trick, it won't work. That's for the pre-accutrigger models. Order a varmint spring from Gunshack, pay the $7, and be done with it, even if it is a 350% mark up on the factory part.

That was it. Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post

I'd be happy with the pound and a half to be honest.
    Right now as light as I can get it with the adjustment tool I'd say it's almost identical to both my tc rifles which are 3.5 pounds.
    I don't want to go cutting springs. In my mind that just isn't an appropriate way to do any kind of mod on a firearm. If I could find a lighter spring though.....

And thank you gents for the feedback.

Basic Member
    If I am correct, the regular Accu Trigger is lightest at 2.5 pounds. The Precision Accu trigger (red color) goes from 2.5 pounds to 6 oz. If you are doing any walking around hunting with the rifle, please reconsider making it too light for your purposes. I have the red trigger on a benchrest 12 and don't put the bolt in until I am set up and ready to fire on a bench.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    If I am correct, the regular Accu Trigger is lightest at 2.5 pounds. The Precision Accu trigger (red color) goes from 2.5 pounds to 6 oz. If you are doing any walking around hunting with the rifle, please reconsider making it too light for your purposes. I have the red trigger on a benchrest 12 and don't put the bolt in until I am set up and ready to fire on a bench.
    Maybe I've got the varmint accutrigger in my Model 11 with the predator/varmint contour barrel as I have mine set at 2 lb 2 oz and it will go lower than that. That setting is plenty low for me though as I agree with what was said earlier: you still need enough weight to not skip the sear and make it go into a fail safe mode. Plus I carry and hunt with mine

Banned
    I have done trigger jobs on every firearm I have ever owned for the last 13 years or so. What I have found, and it's setting up 1911 triggers that taught me, the smoother a trigger is, the lighter it feels. I have set up 5lb triggers, that actually "feel" lighter than a trugger which brakes at 3.5lbs. Grit feeling, and creep are the two enemies of any trigger. While is does require a learning curve, being able to adjust triggers, at will, has been a wonderful thing. My custom built Model 10 has a polished sear/trigger surfaces, but maintains stock springs. I will eventually get the lighter spring, but it already has a very surprising brake. If it were another rifle, I would guess it to be about 2lbs, but being familiar with it, I know it is heavier on the scale.

Basic Member
    If my records are correct, the part number for the varmint accutrigger 1.5 lb trigger pull spring is 105270.

Banned
    This was a learning thing for me. 3 acu triggers .

Hunting: Goes down to 2.5 lbs (I have one, alos have the spring to change it as this is a bench rest project)

Varmint: Goes down to 1.5 lbs (I find that ideal, its a tad light actually but I am going with it as I think that is where I want to be)

Last one I think needs a new sear along with the springs to make it that (you should also get the RED BLADE!
    Target/Benc: 6 oz. Phew, breath on it, only for the really good bench rest types in my opinion

Basic Member
    So what part of the trigger is red if it's the lighter pull version. The rifle is a model 11 walking varminter but I don't see any red on it unless it's gotta come out of the stock for that to be seen.
    My tc dimensions have great triggers. Very smooth,no creep at all and I've shot them often enough I think muscle memory has been achieved because when I shoot it breaks in my mind exactly the same time as it breaks when firing.
    I like this accu trigger concept and the rifle shoots great. I'd just like it lighter if I could.
    As far as walking with it it's a varmint gun. I call coyotes in the winter and set up for prairie dogs in the summer so I not doing a lot of banging around.
    So it's as easy as ordering a spring then?
    fair enough. Thanks guys

Banned
    The red part is a bit of a grin thing!

That is the release bar (have to look what Savage call is). the metal blade in the middle of the trigger that has to be pulled back before any of the rest of it works.

Its a warning device to let the shooter know that its a hair trigger trigger and it won't take much to set if off. Purely cosmetic but a good idea of you change it to target.

I suspect you have the hunting trigger, just need the springs to change to the Varmint type.

I have one of each and the varmint type is a hair to sensitive but am working at it as I like it very close to that.

The hunting is getting converted to a target and I have the springs to change it to the Varmint.

The target takes a sear change as I understand it (and not sure on springs)