Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliability of Savage push-feed extractor ?

Basic Member

Reliability of Savage push-feed extractor ?

With a well-maintained gun and proper ammo...

What has been the field failure rate of the Savage conventional push-feed extractor system ?

Would you trust it on a dangerous game rifle ?

marky123

Re: Reliability of Savage push-feed extractor ?

Nope.My bolt head is cut too large.
    MARK

slaroy

Oh man, that is a loaded question... I am sure you will get a lot of different replies...

I don't think I have enough experience to give any sage advice, but I am gonna throw in my $.02

Any problems that I have ever had with my push feed rifles in a field situation have always been a result of human error. Especially when you stipulate well-maintained rifle/ proper ammo, the question is, do you trust yourself on a dangerous game hunt?

Extraction problems? Honestly, I can say that in my experience using proper reloads that have been tested thouroughly, I have never had an extraction failure. From the bench during testing, a different story, but in the field I am using proven reloads.

Short stroking the bolt resulting in a failure to feed has happened to me on a few (around 3-4) occasions when hunting not so dangerous game in my roughly 15 years of hunting. That rate of failure will obviously change with the shooter.

Do I hunt dangerous game? No. But I do take the utmost care when preparing/ testing my equipment. I am sure you will do the same. I would not hesitate to bring one of my savage rifles on a dangerous game hunt (after tons of practice)

With all that being said, I am interested to hear what others will post in this thread...

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer

Would you trust it on a dangerous game rifle ?
    I have always read that dangerous game rifles were something that you just staked your life on. A rifle that just would not fail under any type of circumstance.

That's why the African hunters used double's as their primary choice of rifle. There were no "actions" to fail. Only triggers and sears to go "click."

Today you have the $2,500 + Custom Weatherby's and the $5,000 + Blazer straight pull actions to rely on for shooting something that will eat you. There are also some custom shops that will re-work some big bore Marlin Lever's to some exact standards for shooting 500+gr. bullets at animals intent on stomping you into the ground. I believe these retro-fittings cost upwards of $3,000....not including the price of the Marlin.

So, IMHO, if your looking at an under $1,000 bolt action gun to save your life after misplacing your first shot, then I think you need to look at either taking up a safer sport, or shooting at something that won't look at you as a mid-day snack.

Dave

Eric in NC

I haven't had a problem with extraction with good ammo in a reasonably clean rifle - but WAY too many problems with ejection on my Savage rifles to trust my life to them as a repeater.

Of course people have been known to hunt with single shots.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Of course people have been known to hunt with single shots.
    And even bow and arrow.

I think if i were gonna hunt something that could ruin my day, using a bolt gun. I would want one with controlled round feed. I've never had extraction problems with any of my Savages, but, have had a few feeding probs. due to rifle movement or tilting while cycling the bolt. And i'm sure if i was trying to hurry up and chamber a second shot at something trying to kill me there may be more than a little rifle movement. ;D
    Stu

Basic Member

Well i wish someone would have told me back 1964 that i shouldn't trust my life to a cheapo savage, cuz i have been using them to hunt bears and cats, (and everything else in between) since that time. Must not of had any problems or i wouldn't be here typing. blue

Basic Member

In general, my pushfeeds have been more reliable (feeding) than my CRFs. Only issues I've had with my cheaper Savage's are after incorrect reassembly. But ... I've had a tight case refuse to extract on a 223Rem. If that had of been a tight case that slipped through my QC and made it to a hunt, I'd have been out of commission.
    Cheers...
    Con

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by bluealtered
    cuz i have been using them to hunt bears and cats,
    Yeah....well "Dangerous Game" is something you haven't defined. Pa. is full of Black bears that can be 600lbs+. But they usually run the other way when they see a human. And cats? We got those too. Bob-cats are usually downed pretty quick with the .17 Fireball. Not too dangerous either.

Read this http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_dangerous_game.htm and tell me where you find the word "Savage" in the article. Also, Hawk (who is far from my hero) does define what a real bear is and is not.

Dave

Basic Member

Not skilled or experienced enough to define dangerous game for others...

As my experience is in Africa.

In Africa, think dangerous game conversations center around cape buffalo, lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, and depending on which tracker you want to believe, bushbuck. Many will include hippo on land.

Wait, would include wild Texas hogs when taken at 3 am with a knife.

May also include wild Texas women at 3 am --- no knife and no experience.

ellobo

IF I was to have a bolt rifle for so -called dangerous game it would be a controled feed Mauser. I have had extraction problems with my Savages enough to not want to use them on anything with teeth, claws, large heads full of horns, etc. Every Savage I have has had to have trigger work to make it reasonable. Accurate they are, but super relaible they arnt unless Fred has worked them over.
    El Lobo

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    IF I was to have a bolt rifle for so -called dangerous game it would be a controled feed Mauser. I have had extraction problems with my Savages enough to not want to use them on anything with teeth, claws, large heads full of horns, etc. Every Savage I have has had to have trigger work to make it reasonable. Accurate they are, but super relaible they arnt unless Fred has worked them over.
    El Lobo
    Thanks El Lobo.....for awhile there I thought I was the only one who would encourage more Savage shooters to go to Africa and be eaten.

Dave

Basic Member

Dangerous game to me is very simple, it is anything that you hunt that can and will kill you if you make a mistake while trying to kill it. Doesn't matter if it weighs 900 pounds or a 1 pound rattlesnake. The bears in this area average about 350+ pounds, not the biggest by any means, but will kill you just the same if you get between her cubs and her or between them and their food in the fall.

The mountain lions here run about 150-200+ pounds, there are getting to be larger cats taken every year because they are eating really well on the deer and elk. Are they the size of the dangerous game in africa, no of course not. However dead is dead. Hammer i'm sorry for wandering off subject on your post. I simply wanted to point out that in the 40+ years i have been hunting with savages that they haven't felled me if i did my job before going out with them. If i were going to africa i would research what has had the most kills and use that. blue

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by bluealtered
    If i were going to africa i would research what has had the most kills and use that. blue
    Sound and thoughtful advice. I'm willing to bet none of those dangerous game rifles are Savage's.

Dave

Team Savage

my push feed always works on 3am wild game

358Hammer

I have yet to have an extraction problem with any Savage. I have hunted with single shot break opens since they came out and have taken my share of black and Brown bear. In my book a 1500 pound brown bear is as formidable as it gets.

[img width=600 height=394]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Tonsofbears3bbc1.jpg[/img]

However,varmint hunting some 40 odd brown bear in one spot feeding on a dead whale (white), I can see where ejection could be a priority.

Neal

I have had zero extraction problems with "proper ammo". I have only one instance of extraction problems, and that was with a 22-250 and a load that was teetering on the edge of "warm". With proven loads or factory ammo, I have had zero malfunctions on extraction in any of my Savages. On feeding however, 2 out of 3 of my staggerfeed (can't actually speak for the third because I haven't found time to fire it yet) are kind of particular on the angle that they are held when you work the bolt. Held at a wrong angle they will try to turn the cartridge sideways. My three centerfeeds, that I have used quite a bit in the field, have fed 100%. As far as dangerous game, I will say that I am not afraid to use any of them against the most dangerous game that Iowa has to offer ;D . As far as anything more dangerous I would have to say that I wouldn't be scared of the centerfeeds that I have, but I am just not really into the "dangerous" game.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

King Ghidora

For a board dedicated to Savage rifles there seems to be a lot of negative feelings toward them. My 110 has never had ejection problems but it has occasionally had feed problems. Would I use it on the dangerous animals that populate my yard? You bet. You should be making the first shot count and that first shot should be already in the chamber before being charged by the black bear that hang around outside. I can see where I could be stalked by either a bear or a mountain lion (both of which are in my area although the mountain lions are very rare). So I do prefer my trusty 12 ga. with K.O. slugs for instant stopping power. But I have carried my .30-06 110 for protection against those black furry critters. My main concern is that I live in a populated area and I don't want my neighbors ending up on the wrong end of a bullet. Slugs don't travel nearly as far.

I didn't buy my 110 for dangerous game. It just sort of was adopted for that purpose because the bear showed up. Believe me it's the safety that I will be worried about when facing a bear because I will have a round in the chamber. Second shots aren't really likely to be available anyway unless I'm using my pump shotgun. And that I trust very much to work at all times. still getting off a second shot even with a pump isn't a likely scenario. If I'm being charged I'm going to be trying very hard to make that first shot count. And I can do that with my 110.

Would I like to own a much more expensive weapon for dealing with dangerous critters? Actually I do. It's a S&W .44 magnum and it's enough of a gun to deal with the dangerous game around my area. And that I have no doubts about working every time. And I might actually get off a second shot with it.

No negativity here. I just realize that certain designs of the magazines and I do not always "agree". I will say that I love every one of my Savages, and wouldn't wanna part with any of them, unless it is to of course replace it with another Savage ;D.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

I love my savages to the point that there only are savages and ar's in the safe, and one 870 20 gauge. blue

davemuzz

Negative? I was attempting to answer the question. I absolutely love my Savages. They will be handed down to my Son when I pass from this earth!!

And I will acquire more!!!

However, should I be in a position to ever hunt a dangerous African game animal, I can assure you that my weapon of choice will not be a Savage. Unless Savage comes out with a control round feed and factory trued & timed actions....or factory built doubles.

But I think if that happens, the words "Savage, Accuracy, and Affordable" will no longer appear in the same sentence.

Dave

Team Savage

Not negativity just an honest answer. I like my Savage's. That doesn't mean it's the right choice in every situation...I would'nt choose it as a CQB rifle either.
    Stu

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    Unless Savage comes out with a control round feed and factory trued & timed actions....or factory built doubles.
    That's the crux of it ... if selecting factory rifles you don't have the option of trued/timed components. If you converted a Stevens 200 from 300WinMag to 458WinMag using an A&B barrel ... I bet you it'd function better than an out of the box CZ550 in 458WinMag ... unless the CZ was fed solids exclusively.

On the balance of experience ... I've had more 'factory' CRFs have trouble feeding then PFs. Extraction has been near faultless, the only issue being a tight 223Rem case in a Savage 110. My stuff up due to not FL sizing. I did have a Stevens 200 fail to feed ... but I'd replaced the magazine follower in backwards. ;D
    Cheers...
    Con

King Ghidora

This isn't the only criticism I've seen of Savages on this board. I've seen criticism of the Accutriggers also. Again I've only rarely had feed issues with my 110 and they aren't really enough to prevent me from trusting this rifle for the dangerous critters that populate my yard. I don't need to go to Africa to confront them. I have to worry about confronting them every time I open my front door. I've never had a problem with either of my Savages with AT's either.

After I posted last night I worked the action on my 110 just to see if it would have problems feeding and I couldn't get it to have a single feeding issue or an extraction issue. I will admit that my 12 does have extraction issues but that's almost entirely due to me working the bolt slow. I get it in my head not to work the bolt hard when pushing a round because of the light trigger pull and I find myself pulling rounds out slowly too and that doesn't work very well. Still my target AT has never failed to work perfectly and I keep it set to the lowest pull setting.

I know there are Savage fans here. I just seem to trust them more than some here I think from what I've read. I could probably count on one hand the number of times my 110 has had a feed issue and I've shot a lot of rounds through it. And I bought it used. It's an early 90's model too. I can say I'm not sure I'd like having an AT on a gun that I would use to face a dangerous animal. I could see slamming the bolt hard in a panic causing the sear block to engage. But again my 110 doesn't have the AT.

I understand that a gun designed to work every time no matter what is a better choice. I just happen to think my 110 is good enough. It's been very rare for it to have a problem. So I see no reason not to trust it. I understand and appreciate people wanting to be truthful. That's what I'm doing too. I don't mean to insult anyone. It's just a little odd because most boards dedicated to a brand don't have a lot of critics on the board. Having the 110 is largely a matter of defense against bear for me. I wouldn't want it if I didn't trust it. It's a heck of a lot of rifle IMO and it's worthy of my trust.

Basic Member

Mine are a little weak on ejection and could probably use a stronger spring under the plunger but other than that no problems. However, I have not had the same experiences with CRF's that you guys have but have never owned a CZ either. All of my Rugers and Winchesters are CRF and have never failed in any way shape or form. They have been utterly reliable and I would trust them. Can't say the same for the Remingtons that I no longer own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast