Thread: Axis Caliber

bme27

Axis Caliber

So I have an axis in .243 I am wanting to build on, but it is not a heavy barrel and that is one of the first things I want to add. My question is should I stick with the .243 or go to a 6.5 creedmoor or .308?

bigger
    What are you going to use it for?

bme27
    Paper punching, P-dogs, maybe coyotes mostly

Basic Member
    You can do all of that with any of those cartridges, I am 6.5 Creedmore fan but nothing wrong with a .243 either. The .243 heavier bullets and the new ELD-X Creedmore will get out to 800-100 yards without to much issue as well if that is something you are planning to do in the future.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    6.5 Creedmoor will last a lot longer if chambered correctly. Out to about 800yds a fast 6mm is slightly more forgiving than a 6.5 as far as wind goes. You also have easy access to factory match ammo.

I've been shooting 243win in a match rifle for a good minute now. Although it's treated me well, swapping barrels every 1400rds can get a little old. If you do decide to go with a 6mm I would choose one of the more modern cases. 6x47, 6 Creedmoor, or the 6XC. I've been debating about the 6SLR as well since I could continue to use 243win brass with it, but at the same time fire forming is not on my bucket list of things to do with my time.

bme27
    Yea there are a lot of calibers out there, most of them i do not know much about so any advice is appreciated. I do reload, and would like to shoot this gun at 1000 yards. I think any of the three would do that, but other calibers (ones that don't have to be fire formed preferably) would be great to hear about. I like the sounds of the 6.5 creedmoor, the 243 is a solid all around caliber, and the 308 I have loved to hunt with and always liked how it preformed on an animal but i have never shot one past 500 yards.

6.5 Creed is going to have more long range factory ammo available too. If you're reloading, it's not an issue to top off a .243 Win round with a 100+ grain A-Max or VLD projectile, but a good many of the heavy factory loads are geared more toward larger game at shorter distances.

Team Savage
    why not just buy a 243 Axis heavy barrel for $189 on Gun Broker?

bme27
    needagun, I would but i already have the axis in a 243 and got the trigger to where its finally nice. If I didn't already have it, or if it would be easy to sell the one i have that would be a top option.