Thread: Looking for a gunsmith to cut barrel

Looking for a gunsmith to cut barrel

I picked up a nice 308 barrel today but it was setup to be installed without a barrel nut, like how a Remington 700 is done
    I'm looking for a gunsmith to either cut and rethread / rechamber or trim down the OD and continue the threads so I can use a barrel nut and install onto my action
    Last edited by Upjeeper; 05-12-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Is there something special about this barrel that makes you want to go to the expense and aggravation to make it fit a Savage action? Factory Savage takeoffs can be found fairly cheap, and there are a bunch of companies that make great aftermarket barrels. Having all of that work done is going to cost you, unless you can find someone that is looking for practice on their lathe.

Basic Member
    Not mention a few other things that will need to be done. Current threads are most likely the Remingtons 16 TPI vs Savage 20 TPI variant. You're looking at having at least 2" cut off the chamber end with enough meat left in the chamber to rethread and the barrel being rechambered.

For the cost of all the work you could easily by a brand new ready to go Prefit barrel. I would sell or trade this barrel and go that route, unless it is like a 30" bull barrel with a very low round count that you got for a steal. It would have to be worth the turn around and cost though.

A simpler solution would be to change the recoil lug thickness to what you need, to get the head space you need, Midway has them in all sizes.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 05-12-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Some charge up to $250.0 for this service, some less. Sometimes it's harder to go this route vs. a new blank from scratch.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]