Thread: Will my OAL gage work?

Will my OAL gage work?

Mostly just for fun, I played with a way to measure COAL to the bullet ogive. I loaded a round then took an empty (fired and not resized) case and placed the bullet of the loaded round into the case mouth of the empty case (going into the empty case mouth backwards). I then measured the length of the whole thing together and subtract the length of the empty case. Seems like that would yield a measurement from the base of the round to the bullet ogive. Any reason this won't work?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker6 View Post
    . Any reason this won't work?
    Yep.

If brass has not been resized then brass will not stop at ojive but will continue to butt up against brass of loaded cartridge.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    "f c 6", a hearty welcome to the Forum! :-)

But your post doesn't make any sense?

Maybe if you worded it differently?

Mostly just for fun, I played with a way to measure COAL to the bullet ogive. I loaded a round then took an empty (fired and not resized) case and placed the bullet of the loaded round into the case mouth of the empty case (going into the empty case mouth backwards). I then measured the length of the whole thing together and subtract the length of the empty case. Seems like that would yield a measurement from the base of the round to the bullet ogive. Any reason this won't work?
    It is kind of hard to really establish the ogive of a bulet without a bullet comparator. Did you measure several bullets and get consistent results?

I am indeed getting consistent results and the non-resized brass doesn't slip past the ogive. I suppose it might if I pushed hard enough. I could be mistaken as I haven't measured in a long time but..... when brass is resized isn't it actually reduced to .001-.002 under? In this case I'm dealing with 6.5 swede so wouldn't resized brass be .263 or .262?

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post

But your post doesn't make any sense?

Maybe if you worded it differently?
    Take a loaded round, stick it in a fired case bullet first so that the 2 rounds are joined together to form a single line (it will only go in so far), measure the 2 cases thus formed from base to base, take loaded round out of fired case, subtract length of fired case.

Not sure what you are accomplishing there.

In my experience a bullet placed in a fired unsized case will fall right through the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    In my experience a bullet placed in a fired unsized case will fall right through the neck.
    I just checked on that. It would appear that sometimes they will and sometimes they won't, it appears to depend on the brand of non-resized case. All my PMC's passed over the ogive, some of my Lapua's did (most didn't) and none of the PRVI ones did. Don't know why that is; perhaps it has something to do with pressure of charge? Measured the inside diameter of the case mouth and it's less than .264 (on the ones that didn't) so I don't think this trick will work to find distance to ogive. Seems like the inside of the case mouth would have to be precisely .264 --wonder if there's a way to make that happen. Having said that, I don't own the most precise calipers in the world so who knows. Might be a more consistent method to measure seating depth though.

Need you a good set of calipers. I use the.rcbs dial. Don't like digital

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/231..._RoCOy7w_wcBPl