Thread: Longest Offhand Rifle Shot

Longest Offhand Rifle Shot

Myself was at Cumberland Riflemen (Millville Nj.) for a match was joking with some other members of our team that an offhand shoot at 600 yards would be hard to make, so money came out for bet and for some one in the pits to pull and mark targets.
    Well I and two other men in a three way tie out of five all on the spotter in Xring SO we to split the pot.

F/class or Service Rifle target?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    No competition but I have rung steel out to and past 440 yards (on a good day) using my M1A offhand. Remember, I said "on a good day".
    Not too long after that, I handed the rifle to a "much younger" shooter to see what he could do with it. Just about anybody should be better than me??
    This kid, I say kid because my grand kids were older than he was and I was at least 3 times older than he, ran a 20 round clip thru the rifle to 440 + yards and rung steel with every shot. That told me there was NOTHING wrong with my rifle that a good set of younger eyes couldn't cure.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 05-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Sometimes we wobbles them in and sometimes we don't. lol

We had some guy trolling a precision rifle group on Facebook not long ago claiming he could "pop tops" (head shots, evidently) at 800 yards, standing with a sling. Lolol.

The rifle was my 03 Springfield Match rifle in 30/06 with 168 Sierra HPBT bullets

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    We had some guy trolling a precision rifle group on Facebook not long ago claiming he could "pop tops" (head shots, evidently) at 800 yards, standing with a sling. Lolol.
    It's possible...I seen a guy at out matches put 5 in the head of an IPSC back to back with a sling and a 16.5-17lb 243 standing and I watched schny112 about a month ago put a few in a 3" square at 650yds kneeling with no sling.

Basic Member
    Shot offhand at least a half mile. Hit the canyon wall on the other side, and not just once. Does that count?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Shot offhand at least a half mile. Hit the canyon wall on the other side, and not just once. Does that count?
    Nothing beats being honest.
    Many years ago, in the early 50s I watched thru a spotter as a young Arthur Cook shot a perfect score in a 4 position indoor smallbore match.
    But that was Arthur Cook, and the reason he had gone to the Olympics.
    So I in fact had the privelage of being in the same building at the same time as a great shooter.

Team Savage
    (Sometimes we wobbles them in and sometimes we don't. lol)

What ever it takes to get the job done!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    That's darn good shootin...

GrumpyGuns
    My farthest was with an issue M16 A2 with a sling at a 500 yard B mod target. Was proving to a young Marine that there was nothing wrong with his rifle and he just needed to do what I was telling him. He started listening after that

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGuns View Post
    My farthest was with an issue M16 A2 with a sling at a 500 yard B mod target. Was proving to a young Marine that there was nothing wrong with his rifle and he just needed to do what I was telling him. He started listening after that
    Done that one before!

Well you're all better than me. Doubt I could shoulder my 13 pounder long enough to get on target.....well I could probably hit the opposing canyon wall.

Thread did remind me of this one if anyone wants to try a 9mm, S&W 929 @ 1000 yds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw
    Mike

GrumpyGuns
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Done that one before!
    Funny how we range coaches have to keep teaching that lesson lol

Basic Member
    It amazed me at the last match I shot that guys were missing a full size silhouette by 10, 20, even 30yds standing at 200yds! This is a long range steel match where everyone is shooting something reasonably accurate with a high power optic!

Basic Member
    here's Ryan Cleckner hitting target at 1000yds, offhand with 50bmg! wish i could do that.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...at-1000-yards/

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls. It was a mile.

Basic Member
    Over the weekend I was hitting a 36" plate at 250yds with the Colt Python 44Mag about 50% of the time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Over the weekend I was hitting a 36" plate at 250yds with the Colt Python 44Mag about 50% of the time.
    Ananconda?

I've taken to bringing a plate to set out at 100yds to plink at with a revolver while I'm waiting for the rifle barrels to cool. Lets me get in a lot more shooting in a range session. I love going up to the Whittington center in Raton to shoot at their pistol silhouette range. Nothing like toppling a ram @ 200 yds. You can see it start to fall before you hear the sound of the hit.

Basic Member
    Maybe it was the Anaconda. Big heavy revolver. He had some max loads running with some 240gr pills. Hurt every time I shot it lol.

Basic Member
    Farthest hunting shot was 188 yds. Heard noise behind me turned and took a snap shot. The deer took 2 steps turned around, took another step and fell over. Lazed the gut pile at 188. I used a 6.5-06 on a Mauser 98 action.
    I don't practice offhand shooting so I usually don't shoot that way while hunting. Had I tried to hold the gun steady I'm sure I would have wobbled all over.

Basic Member
    I love the 6.5-06 and wish I had at least held on to the barrel I had. I'll probably build another in the future just for fun though. Probably go with the ai version though next time.