Hello everyone, new member here.

I have a question for you 99 Guru's out there...

I just bought a 99 Savage in .300 Savage caliber:

1) It is a takedown model
2) It is serial number 2577XX, which according to the web makes it a Transitional 1899/99 model, built in 1924
3) It has a straight stock (non-checkered), with a metal Shotgun buttplate
4) The barrel is 24 inches long, fully threaded, with a folding rear sight with white colored triangle on it
5) front sight is an integral "short" beaded sight (looks like bronze bead)
6) the receiver ring has 1899 Savage on it
7) Barrel has patent dates, and .300 Savage along with hi pressure steel on it (or something to that affect)
8) Barrel has arrow pointing "off" direction....no letter codes on barrel

I still can't determine exactly what model it is? anybody know? the information is nebulous from the web.

The barrel bluing is quite good with a light freckling of rust. The receiver has most of it's bluing worn away, mainly gray, with a light freckling of rust.

The action is very smooth, and the bolt locks up tight when cocked. When not cocked, the bolt has a few thousands play both side to side and front to back. Bore looks great, and everything else is pretty darn good.

The stock toe has a 3/8" or so chip out of it, and the forearm has a crack on the right upper side.

My plan is to re-finish the stock, and rust blue all the metal (I have only done cold-bluing so far, but want to get into rust-bluing)

Dealer wanted $ 400 for it, I paid $ 350

Any help appreciated.

thanx
Don

p.s. forget to mention....receiver has been top drilled for scope (Cry!)....I can live with that though

when my wife finds MY camera, I will post photos