Thread: Caliber change?

johnnyracer

Caliber change?

Hey gang. Ive got a Savage 110 long action in .270 . I was wondering if changing the barrel to a 22-250 would cause any issues. Also would think this is a small shank but how do I tell for sure.

Thanks John

Re: Caliber change?

To do this change the bolt head and baffle need to be changed,some sort of filler for the magazine or a new mag and follower are needed. Other than that it is doable.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

nuclabuyer

You can change it if you want. And a 270 and a 22-250 should have the same bolt face. According to the link below the 22-250 is .001 smaller. The easiest way to tell large or small shank is a step in front of the barrel nut, this would indicate large. If after the barrel nut there is no step then you would have a standard shank. Also judging that you have a 270 I would say standard. Might have to look at the follower and mag if you have feeding problems.

http://www.gunnersgear.com/savage_pi...head_sizes.pdf

Nuclabuyer you are right bolt head is the same size but I think the length is different. LA verses SA.
    FROGGY

nuclabuyer

I dont really understand the statement. A bolt from Long action is longer then a SA but so is the action it self. You need a longer bolt to put you at the same place. I think that it should work. When you go to head space your new barrel, it will be correct. I do know a 30:06 and a 308 bolt head are the same one so that should make these the same too..

right ?

johnnyracer

Thanks guys thats what I neede to know. The reason for the change is I already have the gun and I want to drop to a smaller caliber that will still do in a deer . I m gonna shorten the plastic stock to fit my 7 year old son . A sporter contour barrel in 22-250 in a typperware stock should be light enough for him to carry short distances and keep the recoil down a bit. Thats what Im thinking anyway. unless yall have a better suggestion.

nuclabuyer

I havent shot a 22-250 much. My wife shoots one in a TC Encore and seems to work pretty well. You might wait for some one else to verify what I said but I am pretty sure I am right. I did the same this pretty much. I took a 30:06 ( 270 in the same family) into a 22-243 ( 243 is really close to 250 - .001 base diameter). I am relativly sure that you wont need to change a bolt head. I would wait for some one else chimes in before you buy anything though. I like 2nd opinion's

Nuclabuyer you are correct, my head was stuck somewhere behind me for a while today.Still not to sure about the mag but that is an easier fix.
    FROGGY