Thread: Another new canadian

Basic Member

Another new canadian

Hey guys

I figured I should introduce myself. Just bought my first savage. Model 11 varminter 22-250. I've got a coupe Thompson center dimensions. Great shooters. 243 and 7mmRM.
    I reload as well. To be honest I enjoy filling them almost as much as emptying them. I'm in Saskatchewan so lots of bald prairie to stretch out 'splodin milk jugs and whatnot. Shooting is a passion for me though I'm not competitive. I find that a day out at the farm is therapeutic for me,like riding my Harley.
    This is my first 22 cal. I took it out of the box. Loaded up 4 Winchester 55 grain varmint X factory loads. Laid out prone with my homemade set of bags and put all 4 rounds in the same hole at 100 meters.
    To be honest at first glance I thought I missed 3 shots until I looked really close and saw the oval/cloverleaf. My tc rifles both shot just under moa out of the box with federal blue box and now with some development both print 1/2 or less consistently but I've never had a rifle shoot like this one with the first shots it took.
    My tc rifles both have what I thought are great triggers. Crisp,clean break. 3 pounds. Great triggers for factory units but this accu-trigger is in a league of its own as far as factory rifles go.
    And now that I've seen what these small cals can do I feel like I've been missing out not buying one sooner. And as I read up on other guys experiences apparently these 22 cals are inherently consistent like that and 1/3moa is not only common,but even smaller groups are possible.
    So I can't wait to get this thing on the prairie controlling prairie dogs. I'm also looking at the 20 cals too. They shoot like lasers,and blistering speeds. I wish I would have given these smaller cals more of a chance years ago.
    Ample coyote population locally too,and we are just starting to see evidence of feral pigs too,so this summer looks to be a busy one for me with lots of options of what to help controlling locally.
    So anyways I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and chatting. Can't beat the banter when it comes to shooters. It's like a locker room.
    I'm glad there is a savage specific group. These brand specific groups are where you learn the little things about a product and how to get the best out of it.
    Thanks guys

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome from NE Michigan.
    USAF 1966 to 1972 KC-135, C-130 and B-52 D and H " We Deliver "

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Team Savage
    welcome ryfulman,,,,,, yes u gota check out the .20 calibers ,,,, i have 2 of the .204s and love them,,,,, the 20 vartage and 221 fireball are liked by many ,,,,, have fun,

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savgebolt View Post
    welcome ryfulman,,,,,, yes u gota check out the .20 calibers ,,,, i have 2 of the .204s and love them,,,,, the 20 vartage and 221 fireball are liked by many ,,,,, have fun,
    Oh for sure.
    I think I like the 20 practical to be honest. Easy to source brass and laser beam flat shooting.
    I've put 200 thru it so far and all I did for break in was use an Otis bore snake to clean powder fouling after each shot for the first 10 shots. Haven't cleaned it since and 5 shot groups are a very small cloverleaf.
    So I'm definitely happy with the small caliber and the rifle as a whole. I'm going to buy a 10 round mag and swap the parts over with mine to up the capacity for dog town.
    I'm looking at barrels now. I'm thinking 260 or 7mm-08 because this bolt face will work,and I'd like to take advantage of the barrel swapping ability of these rifles.
    Not quite as simple as caliber swapping my dimension but way more variety in cartridge chamberings.

Yhanks for for the warm welcome guys

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways