Thread: New rifle build

Jfears3393

New rifle build

Kinda at a stopping point here. I am building off of or was a older model 12 VLP .204 with a staggered fed mag. The new build is a 6.5 creedmoor. I can not find a .308 mag to replace it what other options do I have ? I do not really want a drop magazine. Thank you

Just in case all that you can find is the DBM type, all you need to do is remove the cap. Use the magazine and sell the cap.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Jfears3393
    I also have a 22-250 bvss and a 22-250 axis I could use. But the bvss is a shooter. And the axis action. Well it's a axis

I just did a conversion from 223 to 7mm-08. I retained the 223 stagger feed mag originally and it seemed at first to feed fine, but realized when the mag was fully loaded it would spit rounds out as you attempted to chamber them. I just, as in 10 minutes ago, got the center feed mag, follower and retainer clip that I ordered from Savage. I installed the the mag body and follower and omitted the retainer clip Had to bend the little clip deal on the rear of the mag body just a hint and then put the rifle together. Not sure how it will do under recoil, but thus far I've cycled the magazine(full) through it about a dozen times without a single malfunction. The mag body is almost semi floating if that makes sense? I might bust out the JB weld and get everything situated here this weekend and bed the stock at the same time. Suppose I should mention that the stock is a boyds classic.

Maybe I should have asked what you meant by older model.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Jfears3393
    The newer models have a
    dbm. Mine I guess would be a blind staggered fed mag

Jfears3393
    Ok. Is there a way to convert the blind stagger fed to a blind center fed?

I just did this. I need to work on it a little more, but things are fully functional at this point. I ordered all of the parts from Savage directly to convert my stagger feed 223 to 7-08. The 223 mag would spit rounds when fully loaded, and instead of monkeying with it, I ordered the center feed parts, mag body, follower and clip. I installed this in my boyds stagger feed stock. I omitted the clip(would have to make a spacer for the front side of the mag body if I go this route) There is a little tab on the back center feed mag. I just had to bend this just a little. After I had it fit where it sat inside the machined out area of the receiver, I just placed the whole thing in the stock. Currently it is an almost 'floating' status. I might just JB weld the mag body to the receiver, although that little tab on the back of the center feed body could be manipulated to fit the cut recess on the receiver from the stagger feed mag.

Hope this helps