Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage upgrades for shooting 'competition'

Savage upgrades for shooting 'competition'

Would it be possible to use a 'stock - out of the box' Savage in competition sort like of PRS

I know that these shooters use custom build rifles using Surgeon, Defiance, etc but would it be possible with a stock Savage rifle ?

Besides me as a shooter - will the action do the trick ?

There are some problems with extraction - how to solve this ?

What modifications would you do - action - barrel - shoot me all possible mods but with details please and what the result was or will be

I've been reading about getting the Savage action trued - will this make a lot of difference - did you had it done and what are your findings ?

I was thinking to use a :

1. Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 - prefer this round

2. Savage 10 FCP HS Precision in 308
    Last edited by Kingair001; 05-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Basic Member
    The savage 10T in 6.5 cm will save you some cash, $599 only at cabelas. 24 inch bull barrel, 5R. Put the extra cash toward a good scope. Probably good enough until you buy a precision barrel. Basically a starter rifle. Better pro's than me can chime in with good suggestions.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    PRS now has a factory class as well. I think the only draw back of the Savage is they need a lot of tuning and even then they always have numerous issues when it comes to cycling and feeding. Best thing on the market right now to get started is the RPR. It's already a highly upgradable platform, but they run pretty well out of the box until you're ready. You'll have to put more time and effort into a Savage set up to try and get it to feed and cycle anywhere close to the RPR.

I've built and spent a lot of time tuning 6 Savage Rifles. In the end I learned a lot of what I wanted in a rifle for use in PRS type matches and I ended up selling them all and built a custom. I would have a lot less money into it if I had just went with the custom action from the beginning!

Basic Member
    Here's my setup built on the ARC Mausingfield action. Runs Savage Prefits and has a R700 footprint.

I just checked and PRS has a Production Division

Production Division combined rifle and scope MSRP as listed on the company’s website shall not exceed $3,000 USD
    The rifle shall not exceed $2,000 USD and the optic not exceed $2,000 USD.
    Last edited by Kingair001; 05-06-2016 at 12:30 AM.

LongRange
    whats you budget for this?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    whats you budget for this?
    If I go PRS Production Division 3,000.00 in total

That's their rule

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    PRS now has a factory class as well. I think the only draw back of the Savage is they need a lot of tuning and even then they always have numerous issues when it comes to cycling and feeding. Best thing on the market right now to get started is the RPR. It's already a highly upgradable platform, but they run pretty well out of the box until you're ready. You'll have to put more time and effort into a Savage set up to try and get it to feed and cycle anywhere close to the RPR.

I've built and spent a lot of time tuning 6 Savage Rifles. In the end I learned a lot of what I wanted in a rifle for use in PRS type matches and I ended up selling them all and built a custom. I would have a lot less money into it if I had just went with the custom action from the beginning!
    LoneWolf,

You've indicated that the Savage actions as well as other factory actions, are not well suited to the competition due to feeding issues. If I'm misstating this I apologize. Are all the Savage actions basically the same or do they have a model that would work well as a donor? My Savage experience is limited to the M10 actions.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Let me rephrase that. I experienced numerous issues with feeding, extraction, and ejection when shooting high stressed timed events.

Now before this blows up again. I've seen numerous others have the same experiences. I went custom because I was tired of trying to fix/tune the Savage actionsbafter every match.

It is purely a failure of the bolt design. I had all the same issues with a Shilen DGR that also uses the same bolt design and Shilen was unwilling to look into it.

So I sold all my Savage Actions as well as moved the Shilen out of my safe and went to the custom set up I have now. I wanted to focus purely on my shooting and not mechanical issues or tinkering with gear all the time.

That being said. You can do everything under the sun to a Savage. Send it to Fred at SSS and get it fully doctored up. It will probably be the best running Savage action you have ever experienced, but I still would not have 100% confidence in it at the start of every stage in these type of matches.

The accuracy provided by a Savage in most cases is more than enough, but if you can't get a round chambered you simply can't focus on putting it on target.

Basic Member
    Let me make it clear. I was not doubting your experience. My question was does Savage make a beefier action that would be more suited for competition or are they all basically the same.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Last time people got a little fired up. They have the same bolt design and as far as I can tell will all have the issues. That's why I also referenced the high end Shilen Action. Great action for anything else though.

I have never had an issue feeding or extracting rounds on 2 action's a 10FP and a 110 long action, with multiple barrel's .223, .243, 6 br, .308. and 1000's and 1,000's of rounds.

BUT,,, I did see a guy last week at match get a case stuck in the chamber after he fired. The bolt came back without the case!,,when they got the case out I examined the cartridge and the rim looked fine. It didn't make much sense. This was on a Precision Target Action (PTA).

PRS is a competition that is much different than the Precision Rifle or Bench Class where all that is needed is raw extreme accuracy is needed.

The Savage will compete! You just have to have a proven gun and action if you want to cycle the bolt like the Flash.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Dan I'll agree with you. I never had issues either until shooting improvised positions under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post

The Savage will compete! You just have to have a proven gun and action if you want to cycle the bolt like the Flash.
    I never had issues either until shooting improvised positions under stress.
    That was just my question Dan

How do I know that I have a Savage - proven gun & action . . . ?

You see what happened to Lonewolf . . .

LongRange
    King does your LRP have a DBM?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    That was just my question Dan

How do I know that I have a Savage - proven gun & action . . . ?

You see what happened to Lonewolf . . .
    You don't know until you take a given rifle to a said match and try it.

The best thing to do is go to a match and see what is working for the top shooters and ask questions. LoneWolf has found a great rifle for his purpose, and it works for him ,,I'D copy his rifle but ,I wouldn't know where to begin. Lol

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Dan, I could walk you through it if you're interested. No different than building a Savage with this action. It will change your opinion of what a bolt gun should be!

King does your LRP have a DBM?
    No but I have 2 Dark Eagle Custom magazines - can buy a few more

Or have a DBM Installed . . . if that get's me back to my initial post

I can shoot this Savage in PRS Production Division even with a nice scope to stay below the $ 3000.00 limit

I love this Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 . . . shoots really nice I must say . . . out of the box !

But I need to know if bolt, extractor, firing pin, etc . . . will make it . . . PRS shooting is pretty have on a rifle as we all know

Dan, I could walk you through it if you're interested. No different than building a Savage with this action. It will change your opinion of what a bolt gun should be!
    I would like to know how
    much goes into it money wise and the steps to build it.

I highly doubt that I will shoot many if any PRS style matches do to being too lazy and shooting at a bench.

The matches appear to be physically demanding, and my job alone is all my body can handle after 4 wheeler and farm accidents.

Yeah Dark Eagle is a guy I know that can make a difference in cycling and feeding performance with a Savage action job and his magazine's.

LongRange
    king the reason i asked was if it did have a DBM you could answer your own question by going out and running some tests with the your LRP...i will never knock a savage rifle because i have and can shoot groups that are smaller than my loaded necks with my savage...savages are/can be ridiculously accurate rifles but as LW has said when run hard and fast you will most likely have issues with extraction/ejection...the SSS extraction/ejection up grade kit will help a LOT but i dont think it will cure that issue 100%...you can always have the LRP in leted for bottom metal or buy a stock thats set up for DBM and shoot it and see how it goes....that will get you started and will also tell you if your equipment is going to run like you need it to.

king the reason i asked was if it did have a DBM you could answer your own question by going out and running some tests with the your LRP...i will never knock a savage rifle because i have and can shoot groups that are smaller than my loaded necks with my savage...savages are/can be ridiculously accurate rifles but as LW has said when run hard and fast you will most likely have issues with extraction/ejection...the SSS extraction/ejection up grade kit will help a LOT but i dont think it will cure that issue 100%...you can always have the LRP in leted for bottom metal or buy a stock thats set up for DBM and shoot it and see how it goes....that will get you started and will also tell you if your equipment is going to run like you need it to.
    Mine is one of these laser beams and love to shoot it !
    But since I am not a gunsmith I need to go to one to get the BDM installed and buy some magazines
    So this will be close to $ 3 / 400.00
    If I get my Bolt Trued it's another $ 200.00 and how many weeks of waiting . . .
    So that's investing a minimum of $ 600.00 in . . . and what will the result be ?

I really wanted to find someone who shoot these PRS or other competitions (besides F-class - there it works ;-) where you have to run bolt pretty fast and hard and see what his findings where . . .

Anyway LoneWolf already gave me an indication . . .

LongRange
    LW shoots the PRS matches all the time so id take his advise...i did and everything he has helped me with has been spot on,

again i will never bash savage but if you look at the PRS series you can see what the guys are running and there is a reason you dont see many if any savage actions.
    IMHO save the $600 and invest it in a custom action that you know is going to function reliable you will be money ahead in the long run.

here is some reading for you to help you make up your mind..

http://precisionrifleblog.com/catego...-the-pros-use/

Spend hours on PRB
    And as you mentioned no one talks about Savage
    Although there was a winner with a Savage 10T in 308
    He had some trouble with his rifle and never used it again
    IIRC he won another rifle - makes it a lot easier !

LongRange
    the point of that is i doubt guys would send the money they do on the rifles they build or have built if there was a cheaper/less expensive way to do it...i know i wouldnt of spent the money i did recently to build my new rifle if i could of done it cheaper...especially when i have savages that will shoot groups like these....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast