Thread: B mag glass bedding

Cmonsta

B mag glass bedding

Good afternoon shooters! Very glad I found this forum, I will beginning to build a long range rifle this year on a Savage 11 platform. In the mean time, I bought a new Bmag as well, and for a handful of reasons. One of the bigger reasons is the hope that I can build it into a much more affordable to shoot model of what my long range rifle will be. I bought a Boyds Pro Varmint stock for my Bmag, which they have the same for my 11 when I start to make that built. Both also having accu trigger, they both should feel similar in hand.

Now to my question, have many glass bedded their bmags? I have read a good bit of guys using Boyds stocks and doing something with an O ring (?) but have not seen much on glass bedding. I talked to my smith and he can for this rifle for around $100, so I am jumping on it when the Boyds is delivered. I only have 50 rounds though mine currently, but my last 30 shots at 100 yards were holding around a 1.5'' group with very few flyers (the ones I had were probably me). That is with a very old 9x scope I had. I expect to go to the BSA 6-24x44mm since they have great reviews for the price. I am also very rusty with shooting rifles, I haven't in years, so I have to work on form for sure.

Old Hickory
    One of my pals at work bought a Target Model and had it glass bedded by a gunsmith before he shot it. He is wildly happy. His rifle hasn't had many rounds through it but already clover leafs groups at 100 yards. His rifle prefers 25gr ammo.

Since I have so much happiness with my BMAG, I was hounding him for months to buy a Savage .17 WSM and he is still thanking me for talking him into buying a Savage .17WSM.

Basic Member
    Bedded one in the factory stock this past weekend.

Roughed in bedding. Still have to do the clean up.

It evened out the barrel alignment in the channel and created 'recoil lugs'.

It does OK. Could be better, but limited ammo makes it hard to tune. It'll work just fine for me, though.

Basic Member
    Howdy, I'm on my 2nd B Mag. I bought a sporter barrel when they first came out as a cheaper trainer for long range and precision rifle comps. After a couple of years I put it in a Pro Varmint stock. I shot the barrel out after thousands of rounds through it.
    Now I have a stainless heavy barrel that I put in the same Pro Varmint stock after opening up the barrel channel. It's significantly more accurate than the sporter barrel.
    This might sound crazy but I have it bedded in strips of bicycle inner tube rubber.
    My 8 shot groups at 100yds with the Winchester and Hornady 20gr ammo consistently average around .608". The Federal ammo averages around .988".

You guys seem to be having better luck than me! I have the heavy barrel stainless model in a glass bedded boyds thumbhole stock. 100 yds. no wind yesterday my wife shot an 8 shot group that was 1 1/8" on a clean cold barrel. That was with 25 grain winchester. Thats about as good as i see from mine. Last week the best I could manage was 2 1/8" at 200 for 8 shots. The barrel was dirty when I shot that group and that was with 20 grain winchesters. The 25 grains were less accurate at 200 for me. 8 shot groups were around 3" or more. I feel like a lot of issues are due to the ammo. I think it is all made by winchester and rebranded by american eagle and hornady. that gun wants to shoot much better but those flyers kill ya!!